Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    Im just wondering if anyone has any tips for revising wider reading texts? I was thinking of doing something along the lines of different sections e.g overview, main themes, quotes, imagery etc. for each text I've done.
    Can you think of anything else I could add that would get high marks when talking about it in the exam?
    Also, how much revision would you recommend doing on context? I know last year it was heavily weighted towards context, but this year less so.

Thanks
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Hannah_Marie12)
    Hey,
    Im just wondering if anyone has any tips for revising wider reading texts? I was thinking of doing something along the lines of different sections e.g overview, main themes, quotes, imagery etc. for each text I've done.
    Can you think of anything else I could add that would get high marks when talking about it in the exam?
    Also, how much revision would you recommend doing on context? I know last year it was heavily weighted towards context, but this year less so.

Thanks
    I tend to find all of the quotes I'm using for my wider reading and write them all up in a notebook, then transfer them onto post it notes and stick them around my room, organised by whatever themes you can see in them read over them every day and test yourself on them too If you have one quote per text then you can also transfer them onto flash cards and test yourself that way make sure you do some practice essays too, or for a quicker burst of revision you could just practice planning them

Make sure you understand and have read all of your wider reading too - if you can't talk about it in the context of the piece of writing you got it from, then you will get less marks make sure you know any character names and plot points that your quotes relate too, and talk about the structure of your wider reading if you can too, to show a greater awareness of the text as a whole

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gingerbread101)
    I tend to find all of the quotes I'm using for my wider reading and write them all up in a notebook, then transfer them onto post it notes and stick them around my room, organised by whatever themes you can see in them read over them every day and test yourself on them too If you have one quote per text then you can also transfer them onto flash cards and test yourself that way make sure you do some practice essays too, or for a quicker burst of revision you could just practice planning them

Make sure you understand and have read all of your wider reading too - if you can't talk about it in the context of the piece of writing you got it from, then you will get less marks make sure you know any character names and plot points that your quotes relate too, and talk about the structure of your wider reading if you can too, to show a greater awareness of the text as a whole
    Thanks That really helped!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.