Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Does money buy you happiness? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does money buy you happiness? Thoughts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    yes. absolutely. Enables me to travel the world and gain enriching experiences, buy things I like etc and pays the bills.

ReputationRep:
    Yep. If i had a lamborghini I would be happy rn. If i had a mansion with a really nice greenhouse thing full of massive plants i would be happy.

Not that materialistic things are the only source of happiness. If i had someone to love that would make me more happy than a lamborghini would

ReputationRep:
    No, it makes it easier to attain happiness.

ReputationRep:
    yes.

Money does not automatically create happiness but it certainly can enable it.

I actually had a debate about this with one of my very left wing friends...
    We concluded that Yes money does buy happiness to a certain extent...

ReputationRep:
    Money eliminates all the barriers that can likely prevent a healthy person from obtaining happiness.

Additionally, I believe that happiness tends to depend on a relative comparison, Am I happier than I was in the past, and am I happier than those around me? The happiness of those around us is impossible to measure accurately so we defer to wealth as a measurable indicator. That is why relative poverty sometimes supersedes actual poverty for consideration of social factors. The same premise should apply for relative wealth.

Having more than others contributes to our happiness.

ReputationRep:
    It can give you a sense of stability and help you towards things that will make you happy, but not in itself.

E.g. if going on a cruise makes you happy, it is the cruise, not the money, that creates that happiness - the money just makes it easier.

Unless you are happy to just have pure money in your hands/bank account for no reason at all, in which case I'd question your fixation on money, but it is your choice.

ReputationRep:
    i love this quote

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it buys happiness, but it can certainly take away a lot of the stresses of everyday life. Being able to do anything you want without worrying how you will afford it must give you a nice feeling of stability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bern Herkins)
    Yep. If i had a lamborghini I would be happy rn. If i had a mansion with a really nice greenhouse thing full of massive plants i would be happy.

Not that materialistic things are the only source of happiness. If i had someone to love that would make me more happy than a lamborghini would
    you reminded of this video when i saw Lamborghini and materialistic things
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZKp_jFxQJc

ReputationRep:
    Money doesn't make you happy, all it does is make it easier to fill your time with distractions.

(Original post by ckingalt)
    Money eliminates all the barriers that can likely prevent a healthy person from obtaining happiness.
    If this is true, is that not a pretty damning enditement of our society that the only way to remove barriers to happiness is to acquire more stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)

If this is true, is that not a pretty damning enditement of our society that the only way to remove barriers to happiness is to acquire more stuff.
    ...I don't think that is what that user meant.

I interpreted his post more a long the lines of money breaks down barriers such as poverty and struggling to pay rent etc. Those were the sorts of barriers I assumed he was talking about.

ReputationRep:
    Money doesn't make you happy, all it does is make it easier to fill your time with distractions.

I think it depends how you spend the money though.

Personally, acquiring more stuff doesn't make me happy, but money to be able to go out and spend time doing things I enjoy with my friends would.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedNebula)
    I think it depends how you spend the money though.

Personally, acquiring more stuff doesn't make me happy, but money to be able to go out and spend time doing things I enjoy with my friends would.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's a good example I'd say.

For example until recently (because the government has finally acknowledged my mum is disabled) my mum could very rarely afford to leave the house (for mobility and transport issues) which led to her becoming even more depressed...we're talking like weeks at a time being stuck in the house. The money she is now finally being supported with is now breaking down that barrier so she can be happier.

The world runs on money, and unfortunately we need it to not just survive but also to allow us to do things and spend time with people that give us happiness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSRsteven)
    Not for me. Acquiring more and more wealth and material possessions is not a driving force in my life. Obviously, money to meet my basic needs contributes to my happiness, but I prefer to live frugally and donate to effective charities.

For the population as a whole, economists and psychologists have studied this question. They find that, on average, money only buys you happiness up until a certain point. A study by Kahneman and Deaton, for instance, found that happiness increased with income, but only up to an income of around $75,000, or £52,000, a year.

Studies (see here, here and here, for instance) have consistently found a large, positive effect on happiness and emotional well-being when it comes to donating to charity, however.

ReputationRep:
    happiness is found within you from your experiences. I am happy as i like who i am. Being with my friends makes me happy, hanging with my dogs makes me happy, music makes me happy, finishing painting a model makes me happy.

Course i dont have any money so i cant compare. I wouldnt say no to finding out

ReputationRep:
    in my opinion, money is like a happiness ticket - it supplies you with the means of happiness. but it isn't a ticket for *every* means of happiness. some people are only happy with the means to happy that money cant buy, like love.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSRsteven)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This comes up every month or two the answer is no!

It buys you choices which can make you happy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Obtaining Material items and luxury goods has little to do with it. What makes wealth precious is the freedom and privilege it provides.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.