The Student Room Group

Master's in Marketing/Advertising with work experience?

I've been searching for a Master's degree in one of those areas that also offers work experience/placement but it seems there's none.

Please suggest any courses you know (you can include communications or PR degrees as well) that include work experience.

Thanks.
Original post by FauxIntellectual
I've been searching for a Master's degree in one of those areas that also offers work experience/placement but it seems there's none.

Please suggest any courses you know (you can include communications or PR degrees as well) that include work experience.

Thanks.

I'm afraid I don't know of any. Most masters are usually on 1 year which is why they don't offer a placement. I did my MSc in HR part time (over two years) and worked in HR at the same time which was hugely beneficial.

What is your undergrad in? Do you have any marketing /advertising experience currently?
Original post by She-Ra
I'm afraid I don't know of any. Most masters are usually on 1 year which is why they don't offer a placement. I did my MSc in HR part time (over two years) and worked in HR at the same time which was hugely beneficial.

What is your undergrad in? Do you have any marketing /advertising experience currently?

I'm a graduate (2015) and my undergrad was in Economics and Politics.

No I do not have marketing experience :/

My original thought was to get an entry level job in advertising (planning or account executive, not creative) and then if I find I'm really suited for it and like it, do a master's degree to sharpen my theoretical understanding of the discipline.

It would be great if the Master's degree offered work experience but alas I can't find any.

Thank you for responding.
Original post by FauxIntellectual
I'm a graduate (2015) and my undergrad was in Economics and Politics.

No I do not have marketing experience :/

My original thought was to get an entry level job in advertising (planning or account executive, not creative) and then if I find I'm really suited for it and like it, do a master's degree to sharpen my theoretical understanding of the discipline.

It would be great if the Master's degree offered work experience but alas I can't find any.

Thank you for responding.

No worries. I would definitely go with your original plan and find an entry level role. That's what I did and it worked out brilliantly. I met a lot of postgraduates on my course who had gone straight from doing an undergrad to a postgrad and I remember thinking - "but you might not even like working in HR". I think building a foundation of experience really helps in industry, it will also bring your masters to life when you get to that stage. Otherwise it becomes all about theory and not life experience.

Good luck with it :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending