Turn on thread page Beta

What is a UK national and am I a UK national? watch

ReputationRep:
    I just wanted to know whether I am a UK national. I was not born in the UK but I came here when I was 10 years old. I went to school, college and currently study at university. Am I still eligible for being a UK national?

ReputationRep:
    Have you done a naturalisation test? Has your parent become naturalised when you were a minor? Do you have a British passport?

You are probably eligible to become one but I doubt you are one, as you'd probably know if you were.

(Original post by ymg177)
    I just wanted to know whether I am a UK national. I was not born in the UK but I came here when I was 10 years old. I went to school, college and currently study at university. Am I still eligible for being a UK national?
    what passport do you hold?
    technically I believe you are a UK citizen...if your parents were naturalised when you were young

ReputationRep:
    If you have a full British passport with no restriction on your right of entry to Britain, you are a British national.

It doesn't matter where you were born - if you are legally entitled to a British passport, you are a British national. This entitlement may depend on how/why your parents came here and their own passport/residency status - ie. it isn't determined by long you have been here or where you went to school etc.

ReputationRep:
    Someone with a British passport?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ymg177)
    Do you have a British passport?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    Someone with a British passport?
    Not necessarily. You can be a UK citizen (which is what I assume the OP is referring to - alternatively he could be asking if he is a member of the now defunct British National Party) without having any passport at all.

For the benefit of the OP:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britis...sh_nationality

ReputationRep:
    I think people are confused between being a british national and a british citizen. You're almost certainly the latter.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.