Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I currently go to uni at Birmingham city university and hate it so am in the process of applying to switch unis. The two I have my heart set on are Nottingham and Sheffield however I'm not sure which one to choose if I get offers from both. Can anyone from the unis tell me what it's like to go there? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VeROSSiraptor)
    Hi guys,

I currently go to uni at Birmingham city university and hate it so am in the process of applying to switch unis. The two I have my heart set on are Nottingham and Sheffield however I'm not sure which one to choose if I get offers from both. Can anyone from the unis tell me what it's like to go there? Thanks
    I don't go to either but I live in a town close to Sheffield (and applied to the uni there) and I hold an offer for Nottingham (which I accepted over Sheffield). They are very similar cities and the universities have similar entry requirements so I think the main difference is the location and style of the campuses. Nottingham is outside the city and green, whereas Sheffield is very much in the city (just next to the shopping area and around the corner from the big city hospitals). I ultimately chose Nottingham because, although I love the city of Sheffield, I don't think I could stand to study in the city. Even if I lived in the accommodation 15 minutes away I would still be among the traffic and bustle of the city when going to lectures. Nottingham is more spacious because it's a campus. The students at both universities seem nice enough (although I'm sure there are exceptions) and obviously I can't comment on teaching as I'm not there yet.

ReputationRep:
    I'm also from Birmingham and I visited both and I prefer the openness of the Nottingham campuses (UP and SB) and I the support offered by UoN over that of UoS.

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking the same as you. I like both cities and have visited Sheffield uni before and really liked it. I haven't been to Nottingham uni but it looks really nice and I'm drawn towards the idea of a campus. Sucks there are no open days before I'll have to make up my mind :/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.