Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm thinking of getting my car's engine remapped, what improvements would I see ? watch

ReputationRep:
    After reading up online about car engine remaps I feel tempted to get the engine on my car remapped.
    I drive a 2006 mk2 Focus 1.8 TDCI Sport

I'm getting around 40 mpg atm although the statistics for my car is between 39.2 - 64.2 mpg, maybe when I drive on longer motorway journeys it will improve , also should be better when I get the MAF wiring loom fixed too.

I was reading online and it says a remap can give extra power and increased mpg.

I was wondering if this is true and also what is the approx. cost to retune a diesel engine ??

cheers

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it until you have sorted literally everything else that is wrong with the car.

Yes a remap can increase bhp and mpg, but would the cost be worth it? In addition to the cost of the remap itself, it is classed as a modification and you must report it to your insurance company. This could lead to an increase in your insurance premium so you might want to check first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talon)
    Don't do it until you have sorted literally everything else that is wrong with the car.

Yes a remap can increase bhp and mpg, but would the cost be worth it? In addition to the cost of the remap itself, it is classed as a modification and you must report it to your insurance company. This could lead to an increase in your insurance premium so you might want to check first.
    what do you mean by unless everything else is sorted on the car first ?

** somebody kill me now

why always doom n gloom when I get excited on here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I love life)
    what do you mean by unless everything else is sorted on the car first ?

** somebody kill me now

why always doom n gloom when I get excited on here
    Because you are always starting threads about issues you are having. Earlier today you posted about "Car chugs on idle, usually when not at full operating temp, please help me fix this". When your car is operating normally you can start thinking about things like remaps.

ReputationRep:
    Performance gains are completely different car to car. I'm guessing on your vehicle it'll be around 20-30BHP and 40NM of torque.

My first remap cost £350. Can cost as much as £500.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talon)
    Because you are always starting threads about issues you are having. Earlier today you posted about "Car chugs on idle, usually when not at full operating temp, please help me fix this". When your car is operating normally you can start thinking about things like remaps.

I will try and get that sorted first. I am just excited atm
    (Original post by NX172)
    Performance gains are completely different car to car. I'm guessing on your vehicle it'll be around 20-30BHP and 40NM of torque.

My first remap cost £350. Can cost as much as £500.
    Hey there

Did you inform your insurer of the remap situation and was there any increase in your premium ?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.