Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm planning to make my dog go vegan with me. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any good ideas on how to transition a lab from meat to vegan?

I'm planning to try a 30 day vegan diet before I decide I want to go vegan and who better than to motivate me with sticking to the diet than having my dog go vegan with me. But I wasn't so sure on where to begin.

ReputationRep:
    great question! I would suggest waiting until you no longer wish to have a living dog

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully someone will report you to RSPCA

ReputationRep:
    Lol your dog isn't going to settle for having nothing meaty

ReputationRep:
    Don't make your dog go vegan or he'll end up trying to eat you, mate.

ReputationRep:
    Your dog may be planning to make you eat your own feces with him. Or maybe he'll insist on you having a go a licking your own balls.

ReputationRep:
    I think might start keeping my fish in a dry rabbit hutch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny McCoyne)

I'm planning to try a 30 day vegan diet before I decide I want to go vegan and who better than to motivate me with sticking to the diet than having my dog go vegan with me. But I wasn't so sure on where to begin.
    Ask Vegan Gains:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr2...hN5RPVk5dd5o3g
    He's also black to keep you happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamiehiston)
    great question! I would suggest waiting until you no longer wish to have a living dog
    Vegan is actually a good way to feed your dog. I read a couple of testimonials and the dogs are super energetic and shiny, in fact many vets recommend a vegan diet.

ReputationRep:
    Why on Gods earth would you do that? Thats animal abuse? And nothing can justify doing that to your dog

ReputationRep:
    make sure you tell everyone "my dog's a vegan"

ReputationRep:
    There were a couple of dogs in the village I was born in whose owners were vegetarian and had decided the dogs would be too. They used to follow the butcher's van down the road, he always made sure to have a couple of big meaty bones for them!

ReputationRep:
    You can get the same level of smug self-satisfaction and let your dog eat meat... As long as you don't eat anything!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I don't think this is really acceptable, to be fair. You're welcome to make your own dietary decisions… but forcing your dog to go vegan with knowing it could potentially cause problems is unacceptable.

Let me tell you a very difficult story. My dog, Amy got diabetes and we caught it too late. You know what happened to Amy? She went into ketosis and she passed away. Please, don't put your dog through something like that. The more you can prevent illness, the better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny McCoyne)

Good for you! (It's also ironic to see the people complaining about 'animal abuse' here).

Here are a few resources for you:

http://www.vegepets.info/diets.html

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/vegan_dogs

http://www.veggiepets.com/

ReputationRep:
    I would begin by putting your dog up for adoption.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pine3278)
    What a cruel and unusual punishment. I pity your dog.
    It's a lot more sustainable to make dogs eat plant-based calories especially with the hunger crisis. If my dog wants to eat meat there are worms in my back garden and the park. If you think about it insects have the highest nutrient animal product per calorie, I'm not stopping him from going for it if he wants to.

I've done the research.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viddy9)
    Good for you! (It's also ironic to see the people complaining about 'animal abuse' here).

Here are a few resources for you:

http://www.vegepets.info/diets.html

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/vegan_dogs

http://www.veggiepets.com/

Thanks, all good resources.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    I don't think this is really acceptable, to be fair. You're welcome to make your own dietary decisions… but forcing your dog to go vegan with knowing it could potentially cause problems is unacceptable.

Let me tell you a very difficult story. My dog, Amy got diabetes and we caught it too late. You know what happened to Amy? She went into ketosis and she passed away. Please, don't put your dog through something like that. The more you can prevent illness, the better.

If anything the diabetes was the result of a a diet high in fat. Not saying you caused your dogs diabetes because there are too many risk factors beyond your control but dogs thrive on vegan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackSweetness)
    Why on Gods earth would you do that? Thats animal abuse? And nothing can justify doing that to your dog
    How the hell would that be animal abuse? Cutting animals apart and giving it to another animal is considered animal abuse you less then smart

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.