The Student Room Group

Would i be eligible for adjustment?

Hey :smile:

In my Scottish highers last year (S5) i got AABC, and have applied to Edinburgh Uni twice, Strathclyde Uni, Stirling and Glasgow Caledonian. I have a conditional offer from Caledonian for a B this year (S6.) and I haven't heard back from the rest yet. I'm doing 4 highers this year and I am predicted AABB. I feel quite confident i can get at least 1 A this year, hopefully 2. Strathclyde Uni is my top choice but i feel doubtful i will get an offer from them because they are asking for AAABBB, although i am predicted to meet that. I'm thinking that if I get for example AB at least in my exams, if i make a firm choice of a uni only asking for a B, would i be able to use adjustment to try to get into a course at Strathclyde?

Thanks in advance x
Reply 1
Original post by Holaitsstephx
Hey :smile:

In my Scottish highers last year (S5) i got AABC, and have applied to Edinburgh Uni twice, Strathclyde Uni, Stirling and Glasgow Caledonian. I have a conditional offer from Caledonian for a B this year (S6.) and I haven't heard back from the rest yet. I'm doing 4 highers this year and I am predicted AABB. I feel quite confident i can get at least 1 A this year, hopefully 2. Strathclyde Uni is my top choice but i feel doubtful i will get an offer from them because they are asking for AAABBB, although i am predicted to meet that. I'm thinking that if I get for example AB at least in my exams, if i make a firm choice of a uni only asking for a B, would i be able to use adjustment to try to get into a course at Strathclyde?

Thanks in advance x

To be eligible for Extra, you would need to meet and exceed your firm offer. So if your firm did only ask for one B and you achieved higher than that, you would be eligible.

However, unis don't generally lower their requirements for Adjustment. If Strathclyde are asking for AAABBB now then they are likely to expect that later. If you don't feel that you'll meet that it is pointless to hope you'll get a place. Only put a choice down as your firm if you would actually go there.
Original post by Juno
To be eligible for Extra, you would need to meet and exceed your firm offer. So if your firm did only ask for one B and you achieved higher than that, you would be eligible.

However, unis don't generally lower their requirements for Adjustment. If Strathclyde are asking for AAABBB now then they are likely to expect that later. If you don't feel that you'll meet that it is pointless to hope you'll get a place. Only put a choice down as your firm if you would actually go there.

Thanks for your reply. There is a course that I would ask if they have spaces that has a slightly lower entry requirement of AAABB that I would be just as happy doing as well. :smile: Fingers crossed!
Original post by Holaitsstephx
Thanks for your reply. There is a course that I would ask if they have spaces that has a slightly lower entry requirement of AAABB that I would be just as happy doing as well. :smile: Fingers crossed!

If you're thinking of using adjustment then remember it goes from A level results day not SQA results day. So if you exceed your offer then you can informally approach Strathclyde about swapping to them using adjustment as soon as you have your results, but you'll have to wait a week and a bit before you'll be able to hit the Big Red Button on Track and then they will need to "pick" you out of the adjustment pool.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending