Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I went to the Calais refugee camp today Watch

Announcements

(Original post by RiskVsReward)
    Learn the diffrerence between bought and brought.

So all you did was bring some food and do a bit of labour and now your considered useful?

And yep id be able to communicate with a majority of afghans in their native language. An actual skill.

Anyway good work keep it up.
    That's good! Instead of being annoying, you could find a way of getting in contact with an NGO that seeks translators in Afghan languages

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackSweetness)
    Condescending maybe, But hats off to his delivery'!
    Seems too tryhard as if he sat for a min or two thinking of what to say in order to illict a response.

ReputationRep:
    Why did you go there? And did any one try and sneak inside your car?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jedanselemyia)
    That's good! Instead of being annoying, you could find a way of getting in contact with an NGO that seeks translators in Afghan languages
    Will do if they pay well. If not theyre on their own. Just kidding before a neckbeard goes mad on me for not helping.

ReputationRep:
    Seems too tryhard as if he sat for a min or two thinking of what to say in order to illict a response.
    Hahahahah maybe'

Sorry guys for not answering
    I'll resume today

(Original post by Liverpool Saint)
    Is it true 80% of the refugees in Calais are women and children from war-torn Syria?
    It isn't true at all! The media mainly reports on Syrians but the camp population is very diverse. I mainly saw men/boys but I know there were women and children.
    There are Afghans, Eritreans, Senegalese, Arabs (Iraqi, Kuwaiti, Syrian...)
    The main languages spoken were Urdu, Pashto, Dari, Arabic

(Original post by _icecream)
    Why did you go there? And did any one try and sneak inside your car?
    Learn more about the situation and help out, even though my contribution was tiny and not that important in the great scheme of things.

We had a coach and we were worried about their safety as some of them might have tried to hop on it. But it didn't happen, they were naturally curious and sort of made a group towards it.

ReputationRep:
    Learn the diffrerence between bought and brought.

So all you did was bring some food and do a bit of labour and now your considered useful?

And yep id be able to communicate with a majority of afghans in their native language. An actual skill.

Anyway good work keep it up.
    More like condescending. I cant omgaine him in a real life fight. Typical apple fanboy.
    No, you didn't get rude about someone else's incorrect use of a word whilst simultaneously doing so yourself did you?😄 Learn the difference between your and you're and check your spelling errors as you made a few.

OP, that was a decent day of volunteering 👍

ReputationRep:
    They could always go back to where they came from and try to change their situation by moving into the 21st century, instead of hanging around Europe with a Tin cup in one hand and a rock in the other.

(Original post by dozyrosie)
    They could always go back to where they came from and try to change their situation by moving into the 21st century, instead of hanging around Europe with a Tin cup in one hand and a rock in the other.
    Says you from your comfortable home in a conflict free country. Being so condescending and "know it all" won't get you anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    Says you from your comfortable home in a conflict free country. Being so condescending and "know it all" won't get you anywhere.
    Why do you think I am responsible for these refugees? I am not! I argue that due to their reliance on mumbo jumbo they have fallen behind, when they move into the 21st century they may start to catch up.

By the way I know a few homeless Junkies, how about you letting them doss at your place?

ReputationRep:
    It isn't true at all! The media mainly reports on Syrians but the camp population is very diverse. I mainly saw men/boys but I know there were women and children.
    There are Afghans, Eritreans, Senegalese, Arabs (Iraqi, Kuwaiti, Syrian...)
    The main languages spoken were Urdu, Pashto, Dari, Arabic
    it seems that a considerable proportion of the population from those countries would like to emigrate to (Northern) Europe, because they feel it would improve considerably their living conditions and their prospects in life. And yet, if this were allowed to happen, it would be a self-defeating exercise, as employment prospects and living conditions for migrants would fatally worsen .

So, there seems to be no way out : if migrants are welcomed and treated well, this will simply encourage an even stronger flow, leading eventually to an unbearable strain on assistance to migrants : so the choice by our authorities is simply to let the situation deteriorate, so that word will get back to those countries that migrants are not welcomed, prospects are bad and the flow may gradually reduce or stop.

This is a poor alternative to a predictable, controlled migration policy, which however should be organised at EU level, instead of each country going off on its own, trying to unload the migrants on the neighboring States, as most are doing : a case for more power and competencies to the EU, not less. But this is not going to happen, in the present climate.

Do i have a solution for the problem ? no, I don't : except to continue muddling through as best as we can, just like we are doing, with some minor adjustments.

ReputationRep:
    Did you speak to the locals in Calais?

ReputationRep:
    So you seem to have sympathy for these "refugees" in Calais,

would you let a few of them stay at your home?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Wait a minute, the locals have rights?

(Original post by Josb)
    Non :\

(Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    So you seem to have sympathy for these "refugees" in Calais,

would you let a few of them stay at your home?
    Well yes, it's hard not to.

(Ultimate trick question haha )
    Yeah I would. It's more a matter of them being comfortable living there.
    Would you accept living at a stranger's house?
    The issue is more on how they are treated rather than their living conditions so if you simply move them around but with no evolution in terms of how they're treated, it's not really going to satisfy them.

ReputationRep:
    Well yes, it's hard not to.

(Ultimate trick question haha )
    Yeah I would. It's more a matter of them being comfortable living there.
    Would you accept living at a stranger's house?
    The issue is more on how they are treated rather than their living conditions so if you simply move them around but with no evolution in terms of how they're treated, it's not really going to satisfy them.
    I wouldn't really be comfortable with letting anyone, let alone a bunch of men who come from a backward culture stay in my home.

I disagree with you on the Calais camp thing but good answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CCC75)
    No, you didn't get rude about someone else's incorrect use of a word whilst simultaneously doing so yourself did you?😄 Learn the difference between your and you're and check your spelling errors as you made a few.

OP, that was a decent day of volunteering 👍
    pwned

:five:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.