Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I went to the Calais refugee camp today Watch

Announcements

(Original post by Wired_1800)
    For you to go and see for yourself is pretty heroic to me. There are many people that don’t care with serious issues like this and they just believe what they read in the press. I know it is not easy for anyone to go to Calais; but for those, who can, it is refreshing for them to go and judge for themselves.

Yes, I think it will be good to contribute as much as you can to those living in such terrible conditions.
    Definitely! It's about making changes. I wanted to see it by myself, not through the media lens, which distorts a lot of things.

Those who created the delegation and the volunteers who go to Calais every other week are the heroes, especially the refugees who've been through so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jedanselemyia)
    It's disgusting. It's a shantytown really, but organised like a small town with streets.
    It's quite well established. The floor was muddy and filled with plastic, dirty pools of water etc but there was a sense of order definitely.
    The local volunteers supply them with clothes, food, hygiene products so that was positive.
    You know it is their choice to be there? They can get a job if they like to so they could rent a home or room but food, clothes etc. I think they don't want to stay in France becuase of the stories they have been told that UK will give them a house, money etc all for free. There is no reason to feel sorry for them. Getting to EU is good enaugh to start a new life even you don't know French or English, there are people who want to help them but they refuse all they want is get to UK.

(Original post by Reue)
    Truer words were never spoken.
    (Original post by JezWeCan!)
    You are definitely not a hero.
    Omg you guys burrrrrrnnnnnned me innit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intelligent con)
    Do you agree that its time for Cameron to let these heroic people into the uk?
    Heroic? Throwing rocks at trucks? Attacking police officers? Obstructing public highways?

ReputationRep:
    Omg you guys burrrrrrnnnnnned me innit
    We are just agreeing with you that going on a bus tour and looking at some people trying to become illegal immigrants, like they were animals at a zoo, doesn't make you a hero.

ReputationRep:

Those who created the delegation and the volunteers who go to Calais every other week are the heroes

Nope, they are extreme left wing scum.

What would be wonderful would be if THEY didn't come back.

ReputationRep:
    Did you speak to any residents of Calais who have been terrorised directly and indirectly by the selfish strong arming actions of these migrants? The loss of jobs and tourism due to their presence, violent crime on locals?

Do you think its ok for people to travel to Calais and try to force their way into Great Britain at the expense of the British people who pay the cost?
    If so shouldnt we just actively send planes and boats for 4 billion or so people who would trade their right arm to swap their current country for the UK ..?

(Original post by lubsjk)
    Do you work for a charity or something? How did you do it? If I wanted to do what you are doing, how would I go about it?

I believe you're doing something amazing. Definitely keep us updated. Maybe create a blog or something like that.
    I went there with a delegation of students from all other the country.
    A friend on facebook is friends with the organisers and I saw a status she made about it, and I contacted one of organisers by email and voilà
    I don't think that other unis do this so I'll PM you when I get news about another delegation, okay?

Haha maybe not but I'll definitely post something about the second time I go there

(Original post by JezWeCan!)
    We are just agreeing with you that going on a bus tour and looking at some people trying to become illegal immigrants, like they were animals at a zoo, doesn't make you a hero.
    Bus tour? It wasn't a bus tour

Animals at a zoo? Wtf are you on about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Pesto)
    Uh, I don't think you quite understand the situation. In fact I suspect you may be an ignorant fool. Are you an ignorant fool?
    Are you claiming they cannot return back to their own countries?

Are you claiming that they do not want hand outs from European countries?

Are you claiming that there have been no incidences of violence perpetrated by this scum?

More importantly are you claiming that Britain should let these freeloaders in and no questions asked? As is Merkel's idea.

ReputationRep:
    were they violent

ReputationRep:
    Sis! You would be very useful since you speak Arabic! A fellow delegation member spoke to a Syrian refugee and he hailed Syria as the most beautiful country in the world. I thought about you then.
    As soon as I get info about a next delegation I'll send you info straight up x
    Syria is such a beautiful country. With its beaches and food and rich culture and world known heritage.Such a shame that it's all just crumbled.
    Thanks so much habibti,much appreciated x

ReputationRep:
    Would you agree that many of these so called 'refugees' are economic migrants?

ReputationRep:
    Bus tour? It wasn't a bus tour

Animals at a zoo? Wtf are you on about
    You know exactly what I am on about. It was rubber necking. What other purpose did it serve?

Interesting that you didn't spend the night there alone. Very sensible though, you would have been raped for sure.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure why the OP is just ignoring comments critical of the so called refugees despite them not being racist, Islamophobic or xenophobic...

ReputationRep:
    I would love to have an opportunity like that and even hand out out things. I think that they should be allowed to claim asylum into any country, they have suffered enough.

ReputationRep:
    I went there with a delegation of students from all other the country.
    A friend on facebook is friends with the organisers and I saw a status she made about it, and I contacted one of organisers by email and voilà
    I don't think that other unis do this so I'll PM you when I get news about another delegation, okay?

Haha maybe not but I'll definitely post something about the second time I go there
    Sounds great, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    You sure you went to the same place?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ESI4pTDI9g

ReputationRep:
    Yeah so ask away

I have no patience for racist/islamophobic/xenophobic comments so I won't bother with those at all

My battery is dead and I'm tired so I'll answer later
    Was there any undercover ISIS members there?
    Do they all despise western democracy , yet want to come here and stick the asses in the air and face the east in many British Mosques?
    Do they expect to come to England and get a free house for a set time period whilst our homeless including ex-millitary personal are out on the streets ?
    Finally I bet they want to come here for ethnic cleansing of westerners https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5HpQyflZN4

ReputationRep:
    It's disgusting. It's a shantytown really, but organised like a small town with streets.
    It's quite well established. The floor was muddy and filled with plastic, dirty pools of water etc but there was a sense of order definitely.
    The local volunteers supply them with clothes, food, hygiene products so that was positive.
    Probably still an upgrade for the low standards they lnhabbit

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.