Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

iGCSE English Language: Unusually low grade watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hiya everyone. A little while ago, my whole year obtained our English Language iGCSE grades. However, the grades were generally scarily low. Of course, there were a few A* and As here and there, however not half as many as were expected.

I obtained a B overall, and being a top set English student who wishes to do English Language at A Level, this saddened me so, so, so much.

Not because of the fact that the grade is a B, but the fact that it doesn't add up.

As far as I know, there are three components to the iGCSE:
    Speaking and Listening
    Coursework
    Exam

In the S and L, I got 30/30, which is A*.
    In the coursework, I was 2 marks off full marks- A*
    In the MOCK EXAM, I got an A (48/50).

So how come, having already obtained the S and L and coursework grades, and needing only about 36/50 to get an A* overall, did I get a B?

I know the examiners raised the initial grades by 8 marks, but this seemed to happen to so many people- in our class alone, there were 21 of us on route to getting A/A*.
    10 got A, 4 got A*.

I understand that it is a measure across the whole country, but it doesn't add up AT ALL. Even the really smart people in our class got Bs. We're a top set class.

Did anyone else have this, or was it seriously just the examiners being EXTREMELY harsh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeenPolyglot)
    Hiya everyone. A little while ago, my whole year obtained our English Language iGCSE grades. However, the grades were generally scarily low. Of course, there were a few A* and As here and there, however not half as many as were expected.

I obtained a B overall, and being a top set English student who wishes to do English Language at A Level, this saddened me so, so, so much.

Not because of the fact that the grade is a B, but the fact that it doesn't add up.

As far as I know, there are three components to the iGCSE:
    Speaking and Listening
    Coursework
    Exam

So how come, having already obtained the S and L and coursework grades, and needing only about 36/50 to get an A* overall, did I get a B?

I know the examiners raised the initial grades by 8 marks, but this seemed to happen to so many people- in our class alone, there were 21 of us on route to getting A/A*.
    10 got A, 4 got A*.

I understand that it is a measure across the whole country, but it doesn't add up AT ALL. Even the really smart people in our class got Bs. We're a top set class.

Did anyone else have this, or was it seriously just the examiners being EXTREMELY harsh?
    I do cambridge nationals IGCSE english language and i find its by far one of the worst exam boards I feel i do everything for a high grade and am still being marked down. Same thing is happening in my class
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    CIE IGCSE English Lang, right?

Wait, are these your actual published grades or just mock grades?

All the mark schemes and stuff are messed up for the exam on CIE. D: C'est la vie :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TyanaChu)
    I do cambridge nationals IGCSE english language and i find its by far one of the worst exam boards I feel i do everything for a high grade and am still being marked down. Same thing is happening in my class
    It is! We had people getting A* in the mock, and we had people who got full marks in the coursework and speaking and listening.
    One of these people got a D overall. Needless to say, they were absolutely distraught.

We're not doing the AQA English Language paper though so that's okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elliwhi)
    CIE IGCSE English Lang, right?

Wait, are these your actual published grades or just mock grades?

All the mark schemes and stuff are messed up for the exam on CIE. D: C'est la vie :/
    I think so yeah. The exam contained stuff about stuntmen if I remember rightly, but that may have been our mock. Either way, I was put off by this teacher that I can't stand watching me the whole time.

These are our actual published grades overall. We haven't got our individual test scores back.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It is! We had people getting A* in the mock, and we had people who got full marks in the coursework and speaking and listening.
    One of these people got a D overall. Needless to say, they were absolutely distraught.

We're not doing the AQA English Language paper though so that's okay.
    The exam mark scheme is appalling. Especially on question 3. Mix two points together = don't get credited for anything. WTH?!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elliwhi)
    The exam mark scheme is appalling. Especially on question 3. Mix two points together = don't get credited for anything. WTH?!?!
    We were told that you get one mark, but the other one doesn't count, which is reasonable.

I think one of the other things is that you don't get credited for any writing that isn't on the paper given to you, as far as I believe.

ReputationRep:

10 got A, 4 got A*.
    The speaking and listening is 20%, the written coursework is 40% and the exam is 40%.

Do you know if your school's coursework was moderated down?
    What % mark did you get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    The speaking and listening is 20%, the written coursework is 40% and the exam is 20%.

Do you know if your school's coursework was moderated down?
    What % mark did you get?
    But that only adds up to 80%...

And I don't know, we haven't got told any of our percentages or anything.

ReputationRep:
    But that only adds up to 80%...

And I don't know, we haven't got told any of our percentages or anything.
    Sorry, typo, the exam is 40%.

The score (out of 125 as the S&L listening is scaled down from a mark /30 to one out of 25) is then converted to a % score (like a UMS) where you need 60-69 for a C, 70-79 for a B, 80-89 for an A, 90+ for an A*.

If you got the marks you said and the school's marks weren't moderated down then you only scored barely anything /50 in the written exam - a poor E grade. I'd ask your school for how you did and consider getting a re-mark if you got 78 or 79.. If you are thinking of re-sitting then I'd ask to get a copy of your paper back. The deadline for either of these is 26 Feb.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.