Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B932 - Rail Fares Bill 2016 Watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Nay, this is the wrong way to go about this as it would cause the trains themselves to run at a poorer service. It's the same reason for me disagreeing with rent caps. We have to go back to basics and look at supply and demand, I'm not inherently against nationalisation either provided we can use it to make the increasing demand.

It must be said that by capping (net) immigration at a certain reasonable level, we can further solve the supply/demand issue. By investing in local economies we can ensure that less people have to commute. By improving our rail network (i.e. HS2) we can further solve the supply issue. Capping fares is not a way to go, which is what this bill effectively does.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Aye, bit busy tonight so I'll look through feedback tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Nay ... Why place regulations on a private company?
    What a ridiculous thing to say.

Nay.

ReputationRep:
    I think I can go with this one,
    Aye.

ReputationRep:
    Nay, I don't know about anyone's else's railway, but I haven't been on an ontime Southern service in weeks. They need all of the money they can get to put into improving the service.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Nay, but only as I feel it could be greatly amended to achieve a common goal for both the companies and the consumer.

I think the rise of ticket prices should be greatly reformed ( regulated ) and let that have a greater long term effect on the public.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    Nay, but only as I feel it could be greatly amended to achieve a common goal for both the companies and the consumer.

I think the rise of ticket prices should be greatly reformed ( regulated ) and let that have a greater long term effect on the public.
    So what do you propose?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    National Rail suggest that for every £ spent on a ticket, the rail operator makes £0.03 profit. Which, yes, the profit could be cut a little bit, but that wouldn't happen without cutting what goes to other areas, eg. reinvestment.

It's also worth thinking about what the companies will do to make up for these cuts in tickets - they'll just increase prices of other things to make money in other ways.
    The rail operator does not make 3p profit on £1 of income- most of that £1 goes to Network Rail and the train leasing companies. There are I am sure plenty of ways of increasing income, such as making sure trains have enough drivers and are not cancelled as often as they are, ending first class for shorter journeys to give more seats, and properly tackling fare dodging.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricAteYou)

Fares are regulated to some degree, this Bill adds one more, so that those who have part-time work, or cannot book in advance for good reasons (such as a job interview or to visit a sick relative) are not disadvantaged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    B932 - Rail Fares Bill 2016, TSR Green Party
    Rail Fares Bill 2016, TSR Green Party

]
    A BILL TO

Regulate daily Rail fares to assist part-time or casually employed people

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

A. Definitions

1. ‘Rail Operator’ shall mean any provider of Passenger Rail Services under the provisions of the 1993 Railways Act.
    2. ‘Regulated Fares’ shall be those whose maximum level of increase is determined by the Office of the Rail Regulator, or is defined within a Franchise Agreement as such.
    3. ‘Daily Fare’ shall mean the charge for a journey between two specific stations with a return journey on the same day, regardless of the time of departure of the journeys.
    4. ‘Daily Cap’ shall mean the charge made for a day’s travel in Greater London and other places covered by a Travelcard, based on fare zones, as set by the London Mayor under the powers of the Greater London Authority Act 1999.
    5. ‘Monthly Season ticket’ or ‘Monthly Travelcard shall mean the ticket or smartcard issued for travel between two places (outside London) or two or more zones (in London) for one month’s travel.

B. Regulated Fares

1. The charge for a Daily Fare or Daily Cap shall become Regulated Fares.
    2. The charge for a Daily Fare or Daily Cap shall be no more than 5 per cent or one-twentieth of the charge for a Monthly Season Ticket or Monthly Travelcard.

C. Title and Implementation of Bill.

1. This Bill shall be known as the Rail Fares Bill 2016
    2. This Bill will take effect from 2 January 2017.

Notes

This Bill will set a daily charge at one-twentieth of the cost of monthly travel, to benefit those who do not travel every weekday, or for whom the upfront cost of a Monthly Season Ticket or Monthly Travelcard cannot be found because of a low income. Those who do not travel on a daily basis to and from work include those who are on zero hours contracts, part-time workers, those who have some option on occasion to work at home.
    O
    Present daily caps in London are based on weekly Travelcard prices, which are higher on a per day basis than monthly ones.
    Wouldn't the rail companies have an argument that this bill will give them a loss of earnings. I will also like to ask, is there any proof this will make more people use the trains, on the london midland which I catch from Wolverhampton to Birmingham new street on the way home from work is overcrowded and people are even standing if you regulate to heavy it may cost you. I agree ticket prices are extortionate and I would love to see them drop here is a few questions

Who wpuld set the bench mark price? Virgin offer different services to london midland so would the prices be different?
    I appreciate dropping fares to help the working people , but if you heavily wouldn't it cost the Treasury money in corporation tax as the rail companies profits will more than likely contract . Also would their be annual review/report to change costs in accordance of natural infkation/deflation?

ReputationRep:
    Nay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHelpfulMan)
    Wouldn't the rail companies have an argument that this bill will give them a loss of earnings. I will also like to ask, is there any proof this will make more people use the trains, on the london midland which I catch from Wolverhampton to Birmingham new street on the way home from work is overcrowded and people are even standing if you regulate to heavy it may cost you. I agree ticket prices are extortionate and I would love to see them drop here is a few questions

Who wpuld set the bench mark price? Virgin offer different services to london midland so would the prices be different?
    I appreciate dropping fares to help the working people , but if you heavily wouldn't it cost the Treasury money in corporation tax as the rail companies profits will more than likely contract . Also would their be annual review/report to change costs in accordance of natural infkation/deflation?
    Of course the rail companies will argue against it. This Bill is designed to help the irregular traveller or those in part-time work. There would be a difference between train companies over the same toute if there is a different season ticket price.

Changes in annual prices for regulated fares are set by government, as this change would be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Of course the rail companies will argue against it. This Bill is designed to help the irregular traveller or those in part-time work. There would be a difference between train companies over the same toute if there is a different season ticket price.

Changes in annual prices for regulated fares are set by government, as this change would be.
    You still have not tried to argue against the treasury getting less money through corporation tax. It needs to bee done on a supply and demand basis. If the train is going to be packed the company are understandably put the prices up if the demand for the services will not lower. But the truth is Wolverhampton to new street has been packed for as long as i can remember despite two price hikes. It may be robbing the part time worker - but there is other ways of travelling - for example using the bus, i find the bus service great value for money, but sometimes im forced to use the train. You have also done a good a good job in dodging the question whether reducing prices will increase the amount of people using the train. Also the train companies will find a way around it they may just decrease the on peak time tickets and decrease the off peak tickets to compensate, I also believe their is currently a scheme which is called workwise (Well there is the west midlands) which allows people to travel to work for interviews and have a free monthly buss pass when employment commences. (Maybe you could look at something along those lines for interview attendees and part time workers) and just to add some organisations allow you to apply for out of pocket expenses. I work for a government organisation and they refund me any out of pocket expenses which means when I use the train I can claim money back. My bus pass does not count though- the train tickets count as i have to go to about 3 different buildings a week
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    The rail operator does not make 3p profit on £1 of income-
    So do you mind telling us what their profit margin really is, after all the rail companies could not possibly be able to report their own profit !margins correctly, and network rail couldn't possibly compile all the data correctly, and clearly you know more than the people who have the raw data.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    So do you mind telling us what their profit margin really is, after all the rail companies could not possibly be able to report their own profit !margins correctly, and network rail couldn't possibly compile all the data correctly, and clearly you know more than the people who have the raw data.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    wouldn't they have a rough estimate of sales, and how much money was brought in. If we go by the corporate annual report. If we go by the corporate report - even if you can not measure the sales the corporate report is best to go by even if they are understating profits

profit before tax there profit margin before tax is 8 percent- I used 2nd or third page to find this out

506Million before tax( did not look for after tax figure)
    -------------
    6087 million * 100=8.31 percent before tax
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHelpfulMan)
    wouldn't they have a rough estimate of sales, and how much money was brought in. If we go by the corporate annual report. If we go by the corporate report - even if you can not measure the sales the corporate report is best to go by even if they are understating profits

profit before tax there profit margin before tax is 8 percent- I used 2nd or third page to find this out

506Million before tax( did not look for after tax figure)
    -------------
    6087 million * 100=8.31 percent before tax
    Who is they, because if you're looking at network rail they are not a provider

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Who is they, because if you're looking at network rail they are not a provider

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I miss-read what you actually posted,
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Interesting. I think I shall 'aye'.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    https://fullfact.org/news/do-train-o...ssive-profits/

Rather useful, fives profits of several operators over several years at the bottom and explains the mechanism whereby excess revenues are paid to the government and shortfalls paid for by the government.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    We've got a petition campaigning for government regulations on train companies, check it out: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/121326

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 21, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.