Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in S5 and going through the process of picking my subjects for S6. I want to study biology at university however I am only sitting 3 highers this year (on track to get 3 A's). My entry requirements range from BBBB-AAAB. I am sitting advanced higher biology and advanced higher geography in S6, however I need to pick 2 more highers. I've always wanted to do all 3 sciences however have never had the chance to. How easy is higher chemistry and physics to crash and is there sufficient resources for both? And if possible which is the easiest out of them?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say crash higher chemistry is kinda difficult but not too bad (haven't ever done physics and would never like too haha), if you like a challenge. I applied to study bio at uni too, what kind of courses are you looking at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qasim-98)
    I'd say crash higher chemistry is kinda difficult but not too bad (haven't ever done physics and would never like too haha), if you like a challenge. I applied to study bio at uni too, what kind of courses are you looking at?
    Thank you! Edinburgh university is my first choice for biological sciences, followed by Aberdeen, Stirling, St Andrews and Napier (all studying biology).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IslaJones)
    Thank you! Edinburgh university is my first choice for biological sciences, followed by Aberdeen, Stirling, St Andrews and Napier (all studying biology).
    Nice! Hope it goes well for you

ReputationRep:
    Chemsitry will be fine if you revise a lot from N5 about bonding, structures, naming hydrocarbons etc. It'd help with Biology more than Physics would though. You'll be mint either way. U go girl

Luv ur BFF amz xx

ReputationRep:
    I'm in S5 and going through the process of picking my subjects for S6. I want to study biology at university however I am only sitting 3 highers this year (on track to get 3 A's). My entry requirements range from BBBB-AAAB. I am sitting advanced higher biology and advanced higher geography in S6, however I need to pick 2 more highers. I've always wanted to do all 3 sciences however have never had the chance to. How easy is higher chemistry and physics to crash and is there sufficient resources for both? And if possible which is the easiest out of them?
    Higher chemistry isn't a big jump from Nat 5, as long as you are confident with mole ratio calculations and the periodic table etc. As for resources, the bright red chemistry books are good enough.

Physics on the other hand...quite a jump and probably harder than chemistry. However if you have enough time to study it then I guess you can crash it, though it won't be an easy crash higher. (Tbh you don't really need physics to study biology) However there's tons of resources for physics though

In my opinion, the higher sciences rank in this order of difficulty.
    <-Least difficult-Biology-Chemistry-Maths-Physics-Most difficult->

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muchensmile)
    Higher chemistry isn't a big jump from Nat 5, as long as you are confident with mole ratio calculations and the periodic table etc. As for resources, the bright red chemistry books are good enough.

Physics on the other hand...quite a jump and probably harder than chemistry. However if you have enough time to study it then I guess you can crash it, though it won't be an easy crash higher. (Tbh you don't really need physics to study biology) However there's tons of resources for physics though

In my opinion, the higher sciences rank in this order of difficulty.
    <-Least difficult-Biology-Chemistry-Maths-Physics-Most difficult->
    Thank you! This is really useful to know. So higher maths is easier than higher physics? Have you sat/are sitting maths?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! This is really useful to know. So higher maths is easier than higher physics? Have you sat/are sitting maths?
    It really depends on whether you found physics and maths at Nat 5. I did old highers so I cant speak for CFEs (sorry) but in comparison Higher maths was slightly easier than physics as the questions messes with your brain, and you learn a variety of topics which makes it harder, for example circuits, dynamics, radiation. In physics there are also many ways to approach a question. I'm not saying maths doesn't mess with your brain, but in terms of exam format you can expect to be asked certain types of questions with specific methods of doing them.

I sat all 4 sciences last year for highers and I definitely studied way more for physics than maths just to achieve the same grade, but again it depends on whether you're good at physics...

I'm doing AH biology this year, and I can tell you right now, its hard. But compared to higher physics, its actually alright. As my physics teacher said, higher physics is on par with adv chem level stuff and he's right!

Sorry if I've put you off physics, but I really don't think its worth the stress considering you want to study biology. However if you are interested in physics then go for it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.