Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Depressed and Lonely at Uni, living with bullies. Watch

Announcements

My depression started sometime during the first term of my first year at uni when I overheard my flatmates talking behind my back saying things that every time i look back to this day makes me very stressed and depressed.

I've always been a loner, never been able to make friends or the very few people I was in contact are strangers now. I've never been able to hold a conversation for more than 2 minutes, every time I speak to people i just don't know what to say, I say to myself what do normal people talk about???

Back to my flatmates, now housemates. yes I made the mistake of getting a house with them and have been regretting it since the first time they revealed their real selves. I can overhear them talking behind me a lot of times, they keep saying I'm weird, very ugly( which is true unfortunately) and they hate me.

Basically I'm living in hell, and have to continue to do so until summer. I honestly cant wait until they I leave this house.

Not sure how to cope with the remaining months of my time in this house, I cant bring myself to go to my lectures or when I do ive got so many thoughts in my head, I cant concentrate, my grades have dropped to the point that I think i'm going to fail this year.

I tried getting help from university counseling services last year but I couldn't share anything with him, I ended up crying in front of him for 20 minutes and then leaving.

what should I do ? I honestly am not in position to bring myself to make decisions.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    x
    This sounds like a horrible situation to be in. You say you've tried speaking to uni support services before, do you think you might be able to try again? Or your GP might be easier- you can always write down what you want to say and give it to them or even just show them this post.

I have the same problem with speaking to people, are you part of any societies or anything though as this could be a good way of meeting people, and a good starting point to talk about whatever it is you're doing there (so how long have you played your instrument or what's your favourite pieces if it's an orchestra for example). Easier said than done I know but you can do it!

There's always the option of taking a leave of absence too depending on the uni and restarting the semester/year next year and focusing on your health in the mean time. The support services would be the best people to talk to about this though and I'd imagine you'll want to try other routes first and see what helps. It's better than failing though probably, even if only for your own peace of mind.

Hope you feel a bit better soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.