Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

scientific reasons for believing in god? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    It is not a phenomenon at all; it is a particular process and a method of analysing things.
    Well that is debatable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeologyMaths)
    Well that is debatable
    I suggest you start by looking at the meaning, in the dictionary, of the word "phenomenon".

ReputationRep:
    You have to have faith and believe in God even if there is no evidence, that is the test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m.al-hussain)
    I cannot account for all religious books, however the Quran has proved itself to be true many times using science.
    It mentioned that the world was round (similar to an egg shape) 1400 years ago.
    It also describe the process of birth. There was no way of retrieving this information back then.
    Ah, another pseudoscience believer to shoot down!

The scientific community has already discredited the idea that any religious book has been proven by science. Therefore trying to claim such things is not only stupid, but further highlights how demonstrably brainwashed some people are. It sickens me really.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ritual_beliefs
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scient...n_sacred_texts
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_and_science

You people are no better than creationists, astrologers or homeopaths. So unbelievably illogical... though I suppose such things only prove that the five basic laws of human stupidity are pretty accurate. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...cgo/edit?pli=1 Carlo M. Cipolla is truly a genius.

Again, quod erat demonstrandum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmazingArry)
    Try out the kalam cosmological argument and the Copenhagen interpretation... you'd have to have some sort of quantum physics knowledge but you can find pop science videos on the web that make it easier if physics isn't your field.

They both give grounds for there possibly being a god because the universe would have to have an observer at the beginning of time (a god) due to there being the idea that something cannot exist without being measured or observed in a sense. The Copenhagen argument is literally the only thing that keeps me agnostic and not a fully blown out atheist.

I think religion is a load of irrational speculation but the idea of a god isn't because science says that they're could be one but it can also prove that there isn't one. But we can never know because we will never see inside the box.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Copenhagen Interpretation (CI) not argument, and therefore not something that has the purpose of giving God any breathing space; it is only a popular way of interpreting Quantum Mechanics (QM). Pop science videos aren't going to cut it with QM. It's advanced mathematics that still wants a physical interpretation... Which is what the CI tries to do. I see no suggestion of there being a God in the CI.

The idea that something cannot exist without being measured is not strictly CI. In fact it's largely discredited and is a kind of solipsism. Yuck. CI is an attempt to explain how our measurements affect quantum systems and how our instruments interfere with our readings, that looking collapses the wavefunction; a mathematical entity that describes the propagation of a particle in space over time and we end up with a single measurement that is the result of all possible measurements having collapsed into one.

We cannot yet see inside the box... Remember, this is like a one hundred year old quote and Einstein himself didn't even like QM. Right now they are just trying to interpret the tried and tested maths and turn it into something we can visualise. And God really doesn't need to be one of those interpretations!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ikhan94)
    You have to have faith and believe in God even if there is no evidence, that is the test.
    Hmmm test or bet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leavingthecity)
    Not at all, I couldn't possibly absorb/ discover for myself all there is to know about the world around me in all it's richness in one lifetime. It's a challenge, a pleasure, a luxury to learn and research and achieve a greater level of knowledge, whether it's a personal past time, an activity you do with your family, or a full time job. You could even use the knowledge to benefit those around you, for example, using a knowledge of nuclear physics to develop diagnostic tools for detecting cancer. Sometimes I just go outside and watch the night sky and take in it's beauty magnified by my knowledge of it's non trivial nature, and consider it an hour of my life very much enjoyed and well spent.

Ignorance isn't bliss, they just say that.
    Beautiful. There's no better way of putting it. With knowledge you can look at an atom and while others see a tiny blob you can see limitless potential and the glorious interactions it has with other bits of matter. You can visualize all of the chemical reactions it can undergo and even how it will interact with the surfaces of different materials. What the ill-educated will never realize is that true beauty comes from knowledge not from faith.

Ahhh! I want to rep every post you've made so far but the damn timer thingy won't let me >.<

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _NMcC_)
    There is no physical evidence for the existence of God, it is a faith. However there are some pieces of logical reasoning that we could make to help justify his existence.

1.) Even though it's been generally accepted that the big bang was what happened. We will probably never know what actually caused the big bang to take place in the first place. Therefore, by reason of uncertainty, there is still the possibility that God could have caused it.

2.) How is it that particles such as electrons and atoms, that are so random, yet ultimately produced humans that are capable of complex reasoning and thought? Are we ultimately just complicated chemical machines.

3.) Why do we ask questions in the first place? What is the point of thought? Is it simply to give evolutionary advantage or is there something more behind it?

4.) Even with our relatively high intelligence, are we capable of understanding everything through logical reasoning and deduction?
    1. No, it's so weak it shouldn't be allowed.

2. Peroxidation will explain. Complete explanation would not however take away from the awe a person should feel when asking themselves this question, but we don't need God getting involved thanks. And particles aren't just random. Careful with that word.

3. I would say it's an evolutionary advantage our curiosity. I think it's what makes us incredible!

4. Rephrased to simplify. Are we capable of understanding everything? No, and we won't exist for long enough. Nothing philosophical about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    Beautiful. There's no better way of putting it. With knowledge you can look at an atom and while others see a tiny blob you can see limitless potential and the glorious interactions it has with other bits of matter. You can visualize all of the chemical reactions it can undergo and even how it will interact with the surfaces of different materials. What the ill-educated will never realize is that true beauty comes from knowledge not from faith.

Ahhh! I want to rep every post you've made so far but the damn timer thingy won't let me >.<
    Haha I'm new to this and keep trying to rep your stuff but it won't let me do it!

You could say that those without your knowledge don't even see a blob, think of all the people who are and who have been that have no concept of the atom and it's constituents! It makes me feel a kind of...sad...

ReputationRep:
    Science is a human invented phenomena
    Literally makes 0 sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ikhan94)
    why would this all powerful, all merciful, all benevolent test you if it knows the result?

It is also a pathetic argument considering people say these things to children with leukaemia...

Plus, this all knowing, omnipresent god didn't need to "test" humans for 98,000 years... then what? god got bored?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Most religious people accept that the Universe was caused by the big bang too. In fact, it was a catholic priest called Lemaître that first put forward the theory.

I don't think that there's any reason to thing of the big bang as the action of an omnipotent eternal being though.
    Yeah I know. I may even believe in it myself.

Regarding your second point: why not? Even Einstein believed in a sort of God.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scrappy-coco)
    How can you agree with him when you just mentioned one possible interpretation of quantum mechanics, especially when there are many that are deterministic, which would make his point invalid?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's all it is .... interpretation.... everything thing is. Every belief secular or non-secular... an interpretation.

He is right though. It has been sharted on by academia. If People want to believe things without fact to back it that's up to them, they do it all time, so an interpretation is merely an interpretation since not many people give weight to proven physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Science is a human invented phenomena
    Science is not simply made up, it can be proven.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by champ_mc99)

Regarding your second point: why not? Even Einstein believed in a sort of God.
    I don't think what Einstein believed is very important.

I just can't think why we should consider the big bang as the action of an omnipotent eternal being. Just because we don't know absolutely all the ins and outs of the event doesn't mean we should stuff a god into the equation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by champ_mc99)
    You should really do more than believe it. You should accept it as a scientific fact. It's not really a question of faith.

ReputationRep:
    No it wasn't. The Big Bang Theory did not exist until the twentieth century.
    oh my actual days lol
    it always existed cos it actually happened and it was mentioned in the quran i have seen it
    APPLICANT2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MevMev)
    oh my actual days
    it always existed cos it actually happened and it was mentioned in the quran i have seen it
    APPLICANT2016
    You don't know the difference between the Big Bang and the BIg Bang Theory then?

ReputationRep:
    You don't know the difference between the Big Bang and the BIg Bang Theory then?
    big bang was described in the quran like ages ago and the theory was invented in 20th century
    so now both are compatible if ygm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MevMev)
    big bang was described in the quran
    This has been debunked countless times.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.