Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

scientific reasons for believing in god? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    There is no evidence lol

ReputationRep:
    There is no scientific reason or proof that points to God's existence. That's why theologians invented faith: they wanted philosophers and their followers to stop questioning their sacred teachings and texts and so advocated that their flock stop thinking. Later, it was enforced with the threat of violence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leavingthecity)
    Please, I literally need help understanding the sky comment.
    tbh
    i dont usually give up on my weaker students but you seem like you should be leavingthecity

jokes lol dont take it to heart

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishea16)
    i guess it does

well St Nicholas=Santa and he was actually a real guy who was very rich and near Christmas he would go and drop off gold coins or something in peoples chimneys

we did this in Re

so yh i do believe in him he was a walking living guy for goodness sake:rolleyes:
    St Nicholas != Santa Claus.

St Nicholas was a philanthropic Bishop. He died. After his death, the legend of Santa Claus was invented, for fun.

St Nicholas probably existed. Santa Claus does not. It's Santa Claus that I said I believed in, not St Nicholas.

I also believe in unicorns. Do you have an explanation for that as well, or do you think I'm crazy as a bag of cats?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankieboy)
    St Nicholas != Santa Claus.

St Nicholas was a philanthropic Bishop. He died. After his death, the legend of Santa Claus was invented, for fun.

St Nicholas probably existed. Santa Claus does not. It's Santa Claus that I said I believed in, not St Nicholas.

I also believe in unicorns. Do you have an explanation for that as well, or do you think I'm crazy as a bag of cats?
    well my Re teacher has being teaching this for years i would think she would know what she's talking about

but if santa claus is st Nicholas and you believe in santa then you'd have to believe in St Nicolas.. because they are the same person...

well you believe in unicorns, why are you asking me for an explanation lol?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah actually that's a fair point. Perhaps we have a responsibility to continue to try and dispel this disgusting archaic superstitious brainwashing, even though it seems futile.
    Yeah as tedious as it is...it's those things that should make us argue; all the types of discrimination they encourage ...

ReputationRep:
    tbh
    i dont usually give up on my weaker students but you seem like you should be leavingthecity

jokes lol dont take it to heart
    Don't worry, not taken to heart. But the thread is really looking for logical reasonings and experimental evidence from it's contributors

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, not taken to heart. But the thread is really looking for logical reasonings and experimental evidence from it's contributors
    wow
    i know, and i said that maybe people shouldnt be looking for evidence
    because that's not believing
    that's a fact and you cant believe a fact because its just a fact...

ReputationRep:
    i said that maybe people shouldnt be looking for evidence
    In terms that other people might use, wanting evidence before believing something is normal, rational and sensible. Believing something without supporting evidence is irrational, superstitious, bizarre and asking for trouble.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    In terms that other people might use, wanting evidence before believing something is normal, rational and sensible. Believing something without supporting evidence is irrational, superstitious, bizarre and asking for trouble.
    thats not believing then
    thats called accepting

ReputationRep:
    wow
    i know, and i said that maybe people shouldnt be looking for evidence
    We are back within the word game here.

You can accept or reject facts.

There is nothing wrong with requiring facts. It's discouraged because....well they often fly in the face of religion and educate people out of their dogmas.

ReputationRep:
    thats not believing then
    thats called accepting
    Why do we need to just 'believe'? What spiritual mechanism is set in motion when a person decides to blindly believe? Why is this the only acceptable way to God?

ReputationRep:
    We are back within the word game here.

You can accept or reject facts.

There is nothing wrong with requiring facts. It's discouraged because....well they often fly in the face of religion and educate people out of their dogmas.
    these words were invented for a reason because they dont mean the same thing

huh? you cant reject a fact, a fact is proven and is undeniably true

no theres nothing wrong for requiring facts
    but what kind of facts are you even looking for?
    do you want to see God, will a physical being make it evidence that God exist?

how can you look for something when you dont know what youre looking for?

ReputationRep:
    Why do we need to just 'believe'? What spiritual mechanism is set in motion when a person decides to blindly believe? Why is this the only acceptable way to God?
    believe and you might find out

no its not only just acceptable for God
    I'm sure you believe a lot of things that you have never seen with your eyes
    or you believe other people e.g scientists

ReputationRep:
    but if santa claus is st Nicholas and you believe in santa then you'd have to believe in St Nicolas.. because they are the same person...
    They're not the same person. One of them is dead. The other one is a fantasy, or a legend, based around the first one. Who's dead. Just because a fantasy is based around something in reality doesn't make them the same thing.

This is what I suspect has happened with religion. Real people existed, and real events happened that were impressive as far as mathematical coincidence goes. Then, because we didn't have any explanation for them at the time, we invented the fantasy of religion. Not to mention the control it gave us over other humans, but we won't go into that.

Religion and God are inventions of human beings. That's the ironic thing, at the end of the day. Religious people think that God created us. It's actually the other way around. Religion was created in a time where superstition ruled supreme. Before science started contradicting it.

Beg your pardon?

ReputationRep:
    these words were invented for a reason because they dont mean the same thing

huh? you cant reject a fact, a fact is proven and is undeniably true

no theres nothing wrong for requiring facts
    but what kind of facts are you even looking for?

how can you look for something when you dont know what youre looking for?
    You can choose to reject a fact, in your own head is what I mean; the religious do this all the time.

What evidence do I want specifically? Hmmm well that's a little like asking for a dish from a blank menu. So little has been offered up, its getting harder and harder to imagine where we might possibly find God if anywhere...

Go on, waiter, what would you suggest?

ReputationRep:
    believe and you might find out

no its not only just acceptable for God
    I'm sure you believe a lot of things that you have never seen with your eyes
    or you believe other people e.g scientists
    I was raised a Christian

ReputationRep:
    If there is a God, I'd be happy with seeing far less evidence of his pure neglect and shoddiness. Not to mention cruelty and narrow-mindedness.

And "evidence" would be something we can observe with our senses. As yet, there is none.

Also, if religion didn't contradict itself so much, that would be a start. Not to mention different religions contradicting each other.

God better face the fact that if he wants us to believe, then a little true evidence wouldn't go amiss. Something tangible. If faced with a massive contradiction, the human brain does tend towards disbelief logically.

ReputationRep:
    They're not the same person. One of them is dead. The other one is a fantasy, or a legend, based around the first one. Who's dead. Just because a fantasy is based around something in reality doesn't make them the same thing.

This is what I suspect has happened with religion. Real people existed, and real events happened that were impressive as far as mathematical coincidence goes. Then, because we didn't have any explanation for them at the time, we invented the fantasy of religion. Not to mention the control it gave us over other humans, but we won't go into that.

Religion and God are inventions of human beings. That's the ironic thing, at the end of the day. Religious people think that God created us. It's actually the other way around. Religion was created in a time where superstition ruled supreme. Before science started contradicting it.

Beg your pardon?
    what i mean is that a fact is undeniably true so whats there not to believe?

fantasy? you just answered your own question, i thought you believed in santa??

but how can the idea of God just come to someones mind?
    youre saying that because there was no explanation for things and that created the idea of God?
    that doesnt make any sense

and science doesn't contradict religion
    it supports religion

ReputationRep:
    I was raised a Christian
    soo..
    doesnt mean that you ever believed

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.