Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

scientific reasons for believing in god? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishea16)
    like i said before
    you cant believe a fact because its undeniably true
    theres nothing to believe its just is true
    But facts aren't really relevant. My point was that can't choose to believe in certain things, regardless of whether they're supposed facts or not if you don't think there's evidence for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    How are tornados, diseases and birth defects man's fault?
    maybe because theyre not
    they are caused by movement of air

birth defects are caused by genes and other factors

ReputationRep:
    But facts aren't really relevant. My point was that can't choose to believe in certain things, regardless of whether they're supposed facts or not if you don't think there's evidence for them.
    but what if you want to believe even though theres not any concrete evidence?
    is it wrong to do that?

ReputationRep:
    maybe because theyre not
    they are caused by movement of air

birth defects are caused by genes and other factors
    And who controls air and put natural laws into place (regarding air flow and biology)? Therefore God is ultimately to blame for these things.

ReputationRep:
    but what if you want to believe even though theres not any concrete evidence?
    is it wrong to do that?
    No, but it's unlikely that anyone would want to believe something for which they believe there is no evidence.

ReputationRep:
    No, but it's unlikely that anyone would want to believe something for which they believe there is no evidence.
    unlikely?
    maybe thats why around (3-3.5 billion people) believe in God
    even though there is no conclusive evidence
    from my fastest google search lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangala)
    scientific, logical evidence which points towards the existence of god

convert me from atheism
    In your request, you have placed "God" as a constant, and put the views around that constant as variables.

What if you put "God" as a variable - a personal interpretation or psychological result of previous experience, and then look at the situation?

I'm an Athiest who looked at Christianity and realised that the two can go perfectly together if you apply a little science :P

ReputationRep:
    And who controls air and put natural laws into place (regarding air flow and biology)? Therefore God is ultimately to blame for these things.
    are you saying that God does control these things?
    welcome to being a theist my friend

ReputationRep:
    unlikely?
    No, these theists already believe in God, they don't want to. Saying someone wants to believe in something implies they don't yet believe in it.

And exactly, there is no evidence whatsoever for God, I'm glad we agree on that. So then why do so many theists say there is?

are you saying that God does control these things?
    welcome to being a theist my friend
    I'm speaking hypothetically. I'm no theist, but you are so you have no choice but to admit that God chose how all things would be and is thus responsible for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XMaramena)
    In your request, you have placed "God" as a constant, and put the views around that constant as variables.

What if you put "God" as a variable - a personal interpretation or psychological result of previous experience, and then look at the situation?

I'm an Athiest who looked at Christianity and realised that the two can go perfectly together if you apply a little science :P
    explain what your evidence is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by webwolfwizard)
    God doesn't work like that. + belief is a gift, which you might get or you need to seek
    why doesn't god work like that though? surely if he wants me to believe in him he should just stop hiding

ReputationRep:
    unlikely?

This is demonstration of why it's such a successful religious cult.

You're having to revert to the concept that if enough people believe it, then it must be true?

It doesn't demonstrate any truth. All it demonstrates is that mankind is susceptible to superstition and fear. Even in this age. It's one of the by-products of having higher intelligence.

If only one person scientifically "proved" the exsitence of God, it would count for more than the belief of all of those people.

ReputationRep:
    Another point I'd like to make.

If religious cults weren't so intent on telling people how to live their lives in even the most intimate of fashions (for example, contraception, abortion, dietary habits etc.) then I think people would be a lot more accepting of them.

No one would mind the fantasy if it led to people being free and happy. But all it seems to lead to ultimately is misery, oppression, and fear. Bar a few people who are so high on the drug, they somehow feel that the existence of rainbows and bunny rabbits justifies this while blocking out the realities of the darker sides of these organisations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangala)
    why doesn't god work like that though? surely if he wants me to believe in him he should just stop hiding
    That's where they have it cleverly wrapped up in a cyclical logic type arrangement.

If he proved to you his existence, there would be no need for you to demonstrate "belief" any more, and it seems to be this test of "belief" that the whole thing revolves around.

If I tell you some **** and bull story and ask you to prove your faith by believing it without any proof, if I then prove it to you it takes away this need for you to have faith and the whole thing collapses.

The whole thing is a test of blind belief and faith which is not possible if proof is supplied. There's no wriggling out of it. Pseudo logic can be a very powerful thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankieboy)
    What does make me feel the presence of God is when I look at the pestilence, oppression, and sheer waste of the human race. Countries fighting each other with weapons. Children starving and dying agonising deaths from appalling diseases every second. People being born in pain with disfigured limbs. Tornados ripping apart whole communities.

Oh sorry, I forgot. That's man's fault. Not God's. That's because of free will and original sin, right?
    Lmao.

To be honest, the presence of irrational humans on this planet far outweighs the other horrible things we have here on this dinky little ball of carbon compounds, water and metallic compounds. We really don't do justice to the atoms that make up our species. The atoms are incredible particles. Hell, everything in the quantum world is! It's truly sickening when you encounter a deluded idiot who spends his/her time praying to an imaginary friend instead of being productive. People are stupid enough already too! Religion just makes things even more soul-destroying and unbearable for those who actually use their brain in a rational way.

ReputationRep:
    incredibly accurate charges of fundamental particles such as protons and electrons. if this was only a little bit off, then the universe would not exist.

ReputationRep:
    ...Let's try explaining it to you religious nuts in a different way.

Last weekend I went to the moon on my talking donkey and there I met up with my magic moon-elf friends who make amazing moon-clucker omelets. Their omelets can even talk! We then watched unicorns fighting at the arena in the Moon's capital city of Luna, we each bet on which one would win and I won 50 moon-bucks! Yay! We then went for a ride on my friends' winged moon-pigs. It was supposed to be a relaxing flight but the air-roads were all jammed up (Luna is full of space-scrapers you see), so the moon-pigs were making a bit of a mess everywhere since they'd been standing in one spot for too long and the whole place stank like hell. I then rode home on my talking donkey.

Buy into any of that? No? So why would you buy into a religion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevin:))
    incredibly accurate charges of fundamental particles such as protons and electrons. if this was only a little bit off, then the universe would not exist.
    According to some scientific theories, the universe as we know it has not existed many many times, in fact an infinite number of times.

If it happens an infinite number of times, the chances of it ending up like this are 100% certain.

Monkeys and typewriters, right?

Hey, but that's only currently a theory. No one's pushing it as something we have to "believe".

Although if you asked me what my chosen "belief" was, I choose infinite number of universe theory. It explains a considerable amount of phenomena. But as of yet, that would only be a belief.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    ...Let's try explaining it to you religious nuts in a different way.

Last weekend I went to the moon on my talking donkey and there I met up with my magic moon-elf friends who make amazing moon-clucker omelets. Their omelets can even talk! We then watched unicorns fighting at the arena in the Moon's capital city of Luna, we each bet on which one would win and I won 50 moon-bucks! Yay! We then went for a ride on my friends' winged moon-pigs. It was supposed to be a relaxing flight but the air-roads were all jammed up (Luna is full of space-scrapers you see), so the moon-pigs were making a bit of a mess everywhere since they'd been standing in one spot for too long and the whole place stank like hell. I then rode home on my talking donkey.

Buy into any of that? No? So why would you buy into a religion?
    I did. Especially the omelette bit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevin:))
    Actually no. The universe would exist, it'd just be totally different from how it is for us.

I presume you meant the fundamental constants not the fundamental particles? So things like Plank's constant and the fine structure constant? If yes then we'd have things like quantum effects occurring on everyday scales. I can't remember whether that's with a lower or higher reduced plank constant though, it's been a while since I last fiddled around with all that.

If you meant the actual particles, then the universe would still exist. How it would be different depends on the things you're changing about the particles, for example if electrons were as heavy as muons then chemical bonds and atoms would be far smaller than they currently are. In fact at those kind of sizes the chemical bonds can actually catalyze nuclear fusion reactions. This actually happens quite a bit in stars where two hydrogen nuclei get bound to the same muon and pulled so tightly together that they are able to quantum tunnel through the remaining energy barrier for their fusion. This then produces a helium nucleus and the muon flies off to 'smoodge' together two more unsuspecting hydrogen nuclei. Unfortunately since the muon's so short lived it doesn't produce enough energy through this process to compensate for the energy costs of producing the muon, but it speeds the fusion up by quite a bit.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.