Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you manipulate people? Watch

Announcements
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IFoundWonderland)
    I feel you. How do you find you tend to do it?
    I find that my general self loathing makes others do things out of sympathy. As well as other things

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    I beg to differ.
    Never said it was my opinion, its what psycholoogists and psychiatrists use to diagnose. Go and google the psychopathy checklist, and you'll see, being manipulative is on there, hence its seen as a characteristic of psychopathy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    You've now changed to being hungry? What happened to your thirsty phase?
    Thirst, hunger, they're all a metaphor for desiring satiation of some form.

ReputationRep:
    Idg why you want to manipulate people :lolwut:

I can be subconsciously very manipulative and I don't realise I have been until afterwards. I know how to get what I want and how to press people's buttons. My head of sixth form even said to me before I dropped out "do you find it easy to persuade people to do what you want?"
    lol

i know that feel. i have such a good relationship with my teachers. even though i almost never did their work, i always managed to be in their good books. i think teachers are a lot more different than any other person. they have different emotional needs. i dont know what it is but i think i always got them to make their judgements towards me in an emotionally clouded way

ReputationRep:
    You can only manipulate people who have no clear sense of boundaries. You can appeal to base instincts like greed, desperation, fear, loss, security, you cannot con an honest man because an honest man acts free from external judgement, an honest man says No the moment someone does something they disagree with. You lie to me? Gone. You say you do something and you don't? I don't care what your excuse is. Gone.

To manipulate is to invent excuses for behaviours, it is simply lying to give oneself an advantage.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I both love and hate manipulating people. Sometimes it's nice feeling like a puppeteer but other times it makes whatever I'm making them do for me feel rather empty as it's obvious it's not an intention borne out of their own desire.

There are various things you could try.

You could make them feel like they're getting something out of it.
    Be charismatic.
    Learn to read people and respond appropriately to the emotions they're displaying. Be aware of their vulnerabilities and buttons.
    Play upon their feelings of guilt or loyalty.

I think we all probably manipulate others but might only realise in retrospect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    I find that my general self loathing makes others do things out of sympathy. As well as other things

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh :hugs:

I don't think that's being manipulative on your part in quite the same way.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Oh :hugs:

I don't think that's being manipulative on your part in quite the same way.
    I guess. It's just that's the only reason I can think for them to do stuff. People always say I'm manipulative:dontknow:

What is it you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    bedtime now ...
    I like your kitty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CantGainWeight)
    lol

i know that feel. i have such a good relationship with my teachers. even though i almost never did their work, i always managed to be in their good books. i think teachers are a lot more different than any other person. they have different emotional needs. i dont know what it is but i think i always got them to make their judgements towards me in an emotionally clouded way
    Lol I was kind of the same. Although still doing well whilst only doing the work I wanted to do helped. In maths I didn't do any homework for the entire two years and I was the favourite and everyone resented me for it :mmm:

(Original post by whorace)
    You can only manipulate people who have no clear sense of boundaries. You can appeal to base instincts like greed, desperation, fear, loss, security, you cannot con an honest man because an honest man acts free from external judgement, an honest man says No the moment someone does something they disagree with. You lie to me? Gone. You say you do something and you don't? I don't care what your excuse is. Gone.

To manipulate is to invent excuses for behaviours, it is simply lying to give oneself an advantage.
    False. Everyone has a weakness. To manipulate a person, you exploit and manipulate this weakness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CantGainWeight)
    i actually manipulate people case by case. i wrote a 3 page manifesto for how i was going to manipulate a girl i met. she was absolutely abominated by me but then i got her to come round to me.
    manipulation is not something i do subconsciously, it is not effortless for me. i am not a psychopath. i feel sympathy all the time. i cry easily. sometimes i show no sympathy towards those who get in my way
    Lol at this

'Report on How to Effectively Manipulate Madame Steele'

'Mrs.Steele is a single mother who spends her time moaning at her passive husband who is never home, appeal to her need for adventure'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chikane)
    I like your kitty
    thank you
    (I have 2)

Name:  C29.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  461.0 KB

ReputationRep:
    Lol I was kind of the same. Although still doing well whilst only doing the work I wanted to do helped. In maths I didn't do any homework for the entire two years and I was the favourite and everyone resented me for it :mmm:

False. Everyone has a weakness. To manipulate a person, you exploit and manipulate this weakness.
    I disagree, most manipulation only works due to acceptance of such a weakness, if I say you are weak because I secretly want you to go to the gym and lose weight, that only works if I accept that you are right, if I believe I am weak or that your judgement of me is superior to mine, then I will let you manipulate me.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I seem to do it without even thinking about it - I have to make a conscious effort to not manipulate people
    I feel that. So I either avoid people or have to repeatedly question why they do things. I think it started in my childhood lol.

It's probably easier for me because noone likes me as I am naturally so I have to pretend with most.

ReputationRep:
    Lol at this

'Report on How to Effectively Manipulate Madame Steele'

'Mrs.Steele is a single mother who spends her time moaning at her passive husband who is never home, appeal to her need for adventure'
    lol
    teachers can do you favours so why not
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    I feel that. So I either avoid people or have to repeatedly question why they do things. I think it started in my childhood lol.
    Haha yeah same

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    thank you
    (I have 2)

Name:  C29.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  461.0 KB
    Your black kitty reminded me of a cat I had when I was 7 I named him Salem he was taken away. I still think of him everyday :cry:

They are both gorgeous.

ReputationRep:
    I guess. It's just that's the only reason I can think for them to do stuff. People always say I'm manipulative:dontknow:

What is it you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh, do you mean you get people to do things for you by makisng them pity you?

Oh I'm kind of insane. I do it through my use of language or how I am. I can make people like me relatively easily without feeling any emotional attachment myself and so then they want to do things for me/let things slide etc (although manipulation cannot and should not be limited to these two things). I also realised that I often dangle myself in front of people (men) as something they want but can't have. This is awful and now that I have become consciously aware of it, I'm going to make a very conscious effort to stop. I'm nice to everyone and can be charismatic when I want to be, but I can also be the opposite and this induces a kind of reaction.

Edit: to add to this - also people trust me very easily. This makes them emotionally indebted to me.

Christ I sound mad.

ReputationRep:
    Bend the truth to make the benefits of an action seem greater than the drawbacks
    Play on a basic need - to be loved, understood, befriended
    Give people gradually increasing favours and ask for returns, to draw people in

Not that I spend much time thinking about these things either

ReputationRep:
    I disagree, most manipulation only works due to acceptance of such a weakness, if I say you are weak because I secretly want you to go to the gym and lose weight, that only works if I accept that you are right, if I believe I am weak or that your judgement of me is superior to mine, then I will let you manipulate me.
    I've read that a couple of times but I don't quite understand your point

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.