Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would you do in this situation? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Wise people of TSR, I would like your advice!

So, this sort of relates to something I'm dealing with at the moment. I will modify the details slightly to make it easier to describe the basics of what's going on. Let me know what you would do if you were in my position. Thanks!

Let's say you have a small group of friends. Like four friends. They are all lovely people. You can laugh with them, share somewhat intimate/personal stories with them, feel comfortable, etc. Relatively good friends and likely to do well if you carried on.

But.

Then, you discover that these four people have something really awful in common. It could be anything. Let's say, for the sake for argument, they all turn out to be massive racists.

In essence, what you have is four people that are absolutely lovely in all respects... except for the fact that they're racists. They make horrible comments and sort of drag you into agreeing with their vile opinions. You don't want to tell them that they're awful for thinking in this way, because you think you value your friendship.

I disagree with racism, as I'm sure many people do.

The main question is therefore this: given this kind of situation, do you keep your friends and sacrifice your principles of being a good person?

Or do you decide that these people are a bad influence purely on the basis of their racism and decide that, in light of this new information, it's better to find some friends that don't have such extremist views?

Let's also assume that you don't have the power to convince these people to change their views and may not even think it's worth the time, since they would be deaf to anything you try to say.

Sorry for the long post, but if you had to make the choice between keeping your friends or leaving them, what would you do?

ReputationRep:
    Probably keep the friends, can't be bothered to make new ones

(Original post by Maria G Agnesi)

So, this sort of relates to something I'm dealing with at the moment. I will modify the details slightly to make it easier to describe the basics of what's going on. Let me know what you would do if you were in my position. Thanks!

Let's say you have a small group of friends. Like four friends. They are all lovely people. You can laugh with them, share somewhat intimate/personal stories with them, feel comfortable, etc. Relatively good friends and likely to do well if you carried on.

But.

Then, you discover that these four people have something really awful in common. It could be anything. Let's say, for the sake for argument, they all turn out to be massive racists.

In essence, what you have is four people that are absolutely lovely in all respects... except for the fact that they're racists. They make horrible comments and sort of drag you into agreeing with their vile opinions. You don't want to tell them that they're awful for thinking in this way, because you think you value your friendship.

The main question is therefore this: given this kind of situation, do you keep your friends and sacrifice your principles of being a good person?

Or do you decide that these people are a bad influence purely on the basis of their racism and decide that, in light of this new information, it's better to find some friends that don't have such extremist views?

Let's also assume that you don't have the power to convince these people to change their views and may not even think it's worth the time, since they would be deaf to anything you try to say.

Sorry for the long post, but if you had to make the choice between keeping your friends or leaving them, what would you do?
    I would personally stop being friends with them you want to have positive mindsets around you, racism is a no no for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maria G Agnesi)

But.

If the influence it has on you affects you personally in a way that may make you less conscious then avoid them. But if it doesn't, lets say for instance they keep their activity e.g racism between them and isn't a quotidian topic then I see why it should matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.