Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Amy is one third the age of her mother. in 12yrs time amy will be half the age of her mother. how old is amy and her mother? Zacken

ReputationRep:
    12 and 36
    24 and 48

This wasn't very hard at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manuel132)
    Amy is one third the age of her mother. in 12yrs time amy will be half the age of her mother. how old is amy and her mother? Zacken
    What have you tried? Let's call the age of her mother m (current age) and Amy's age a (current age) Then you know that (now) a = \frac{m}{3}

And you also know that (in twelve years time) a + 12 = \frac{m+12}{2}, can you solve this simultaneous equation?

Moving this to maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    What have you tried? Let's call the age of her mother m (current age) and Amy's age a (current age) Then you know that (now) a = \frac{m}{3}

And you also know that (in twelve years time) a + 12 = \frac{m+12}{2}, can you solve this simultaneous equation?

Moving this to maths.
    i don't get it.. can you explain it in detail

ReputationRep:
    i don't get it.. can you explain it in detail
    So if Amy's age is a and her mothers age is m, then we know that a is m divided by 3 because Amy's age (a) is a third of her moths age. So a = \frac{m}{3}, do you understand this?

(Original post by Mayhem™)
    Full solutions are against forum guidelines.

ReputationRep:
    and two positive numbers x and y, where x is the larger of the two numbers, have a difference of one and a product of 72. using algebra and showing your working find the values of x and y Zacken

ReputationRep:
    Here is a lovely gcse question my friend sent me a few years ago, and i've never forgot it (and always kept it saved)

Name:  gcse_question.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  49.0 KB

Edit: for you to try after of course , so off topic but its too good not to share

ReputationRep:
    So if Amy's age is a and her mothers age is m, then we know that a is m divided by 3 because Amy's age (a) is a third of her moths age. So a = \frac{m}{3}, do you understand this?

well that sucks

ReputationRep:
    and two positive numbers x and y, where x is the larger of the two numbers, have a difference of one and a product of 72. using algebra and showing your working find the values of x and y Zacken
    Well, if their difference is 1 then we know that x-y=1. If their product is 72, then we can write: xy =72.

Now, remember that x-y=1, which is the same thing as x = y+1, so: xy = 72 can be written as y(y+1)=72, now can you solve this?

ReputationRep:
    Well, if their difference is 1 then we know that x-y=1. If their product is 72, then we can write: xy =72.

Now, remember that x-y=1, which is the same thing as x = y+1, so: xy = 72 can be written as y(y+1)=72, now can you solve this?
    you are genius

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanJ42)
    Here is a lovely gcse question my friend sent me a few years ago, and i've never forgot it (and always kept it saved)

Name:  gcse_question.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  49.0 KB

Edit: for you to try after of course , so off topic but its too good not to share
    Solution
    Spoiler:
    Show
    x^2 + y^2 = y^2 + 2y + 1 \iff x^2 = 2y+1 so sincem^2 \equiv 1 \pmod{2} \iff m \equiv 1 \pmod{2} then x is odd.

ReputationRep:
    Solution
    Spoiler:
    Show
    x^2 + y^2 = y^2 + 2y + 1 \iff x^2 = 2y+1 so sincem^2 \equiv 1 \pmod{2} \iff m \equiv 1 \pmod{2} then x is odd.
    ahaha, of course you reply with the solution to a gcse question :laugh:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I half expected a "please make a new thread to share new questions", but nice solution anyway A* gcse maths for you

ReputationRep:

can you post the full solution in my inbox then cuz i don't get it still?

ReputationRep:
    ahaha, of course you reply with the solution to a gcse question :laugh:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I half expected a "please make a new thread to share new questions", but nice solution anyway A* gcse maths for you
    why have you guys 'hijacked' my thread? do unto others as you want others to do unto you! i saw something like this yesterday and zacken didn't like it. don't be a hypocrite

ReputationRep:
    why have you guys 'hijacked' my thread? do unto others as you want others to do unto you!
    no we havent, its 3 posts... plus youre getting help from others, plus that question i posted is for you to try, plus if i posted an alevel question and someone posted me another one to try afterwards id be pretty pleased tbh...

can you post the full solution in my inbox then cuz i don't get it still?
    ...plus this the worst thing you could request

ReputationRep:
    no we havent, its 3 posts... plus youre getting help from others, plus that question i posted is for you to try, plus if i posted an alevel question and someone posted me another one to try afterwards id be pretty pleased tbh...

...plus this the worst thing you could request
    yes you have. it is 'irrelevant trash' to my question.. remember this yesterday? and this is not a ****ing homework.. i am just solving questions so what do you mean it is the worst thing i could request?

and getting help someone doesn't mean you should post 'irrelevant trash' to my question..

you guys are hypocrites.. you said the same to someone yesterday. just because i am looking for help doesn't mean i should keep quite. telling you the truth. idc if i am being helped

ReputationRep:
    you are genius
    so long as you do not call him
    awesome genius ....

ReputationRep:
    yes you have. it is 'irrelevant trash' to my question.. remember this yesterday? and this is not a ****ing homework.. i am just solving questions so what do you mean it is the worst thing i could request?
    "irrelevant trash"... i do not remember as it was probably zacken who said that yesterday

I am 90% sure you wont learn from the full solution just from your previous posts, thats all

also dont get angry please, if you think i have "hijacked" your thread by giving you another question to solve then I wont do it again

ReputationRep:
    "irrelevant trash"... i do not remember as it was probably zacken who said that yesterday

I am 90% sure you wont learn from the full solution just from your previous posts, thats all

also dont get angry please, if you think i have "hijacked" your thread by giving you another question to solve then I wont do it again
    well why did he solve the question then if it was my question..

the guy said nothing wrong yesterday so why were you being *******s to him? he wasn't even hijacking' but you accused him of

ReputationRep:

Moving this to maths.
    i still don't get this one.. sorry but the truth had to be told. that's how i roll and i know the truth hurts but you gotta deal with it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.