Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What invention will change humanity forever? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    - Some form of anti-ageing medicine or something that eliminates most diseases.
    - Interstellar travel.
    - An almost-unlimited source of power/energy.

Your views?

ReputationRep:
    One that causes the human race to be wiped out.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Interstellar travel would probably be one of the most important steps in human history if we ever got there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Interstellar travel would probably be one of the most important steps in human history if we ever got there.
    You enjoyed the film then?

ReputationRep:
    I'm curious - do you think it would make a huge change to the day to day human though?

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully something called common sense.

But putting aside the bitterness
    a huge spaceship that'd be able to support life/resources and millions of people. So if the sun ends up blowing up one day we can get the hell out of here and humanity will still exist and hopefully find some other living things like us in this great big universe of ours cause surely there is at least another race of "humans" or something similar out there.
    I disagree with anti ageing stuff.
    But cures for things like cancer (all types) without the awful side effects or treatment for HIV etc.

ReputationRep:
    heated socks
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    I'm curious - do you think it would make a huge change to the day to day human though?
    No, but your question wasn't about day-to-day life, it was about humanity. Interstellar travel could potentially mean immortality (or as close to immortality as you can get) for the human species* so I think that's one of the most significant things that could ever happen to us.

*Replacing "human species" with "sentient life" might make this more accurate.
    (Original post by champ_mc99)
    You enjoyed the film then?
    Not sure what you're talking about :nope:

ReputationRep:
    Plagioclase

The film Interstellar. Thought you would have watched it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by champ_mc99)
    Plagioclase

The film Interstellar. Thought you would have watched it.
    No sorry
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Artificial Intelligence equal or superior to humans.

Machines that can read and record thoughts and dreams.

Machines as dextrous as humans controlled by human thought alone.

Full stem cell organ and limb growth and transplant including full nerve repair.

ReputationRep:
    No sorry
    Lol don't worry. Would definitely recommend it though.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'd say that interstellar travel would be the most important thing for the reason outlined above, our species essentially becomes immortal.

Anti-aging medicine would be incredibly good for our species. Imagine an Einstein who never grew old and died.

The transition from scarcity to abundance will already be complete by the end of this century. Between space mining, nuclear fusion and renewable energy the human species is entering an age in which it will be unrestrained by anything but its own mental faculties.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    Artificial Intelligence equal or superior to humans.
    This is extremely difficult to define considering machines do and always will work differently to human brains...

Either anti-aging medicine/some form of everlasting life, or a method of revivifying humans after death.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    This is extremely difficult to define considering machines do and always will work differently to human brains...
    You can't know that but can only extrapolate from the current state of technology. Which is so very often incorrect as many have proven by saying humans will never fly, travelling faster than sound is impossible etc.

I'm not criticising you only pointing out that it's easy to make assumptions and impossible to predict the future.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    You can't know that but can only extrapolate from the current state of technology. Which is so very often incorrect as many have proven by saying humans will never fly, travelling faster than sound is impossible etc.

I'm not criticising you only pointing out that it's easy to make assumptions and impossible to predict the future.
    Of course you can't say it with certainty, but all of the research into AI that we've done so far suggests that there's no particular advantage in trying to make AI that uses the same kind of neural system as humans.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Of course you can't say it with certainty, but all of the research into AI that we've done so far suggests that there's no particular advantage in trying to make AI that uses the same kind of neural system as humans.
    I'd suggest the technology employed is not up to the job - yet. But then I'm also speculating and out of my field.

The analogy would be the difference between an abacus and say the Watson computer.

ReputationRep:
    Unlimited food.

No more 3rd world countries
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edward_PoshPonce)
    Unlimited food.

No more 3rd world countries
    There's more than enough food on the planet, that's not the problem. The elimination (or reduction) of inequality would be a lot more effective.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.