Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What invention will change humanity forever? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    i guess that minority interests would be catered for ?

:creep:
    Haha I'm willing to admit that not everyone has the same tastes in that department :lol:

But they do say that redheads are naturally of a fiery temperament, I like that. The red hair, the freckles... omg so hot

http://cdn.posh24.com/images/:comple...d_redheads.jpg
    http://karlhughesmedia.com/blog/wp-c...2-683x1024.jpg

ReputationRep:
    Unlimited energy supply

ReputationRep:
    Clean, renewable energy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MostUnciviIised)
    Haha I'm willing to admit that not everyone has the same tastes in that department :lol:

But they do say that redheads are naturally of a fiery temperament, I like that. The red hair, the freckles... omg so hot

http://cdn.posh24.com/images/:comple...d_redheads.jpg
    http://karlhughesmedia.com/blog/wp-c...2-683x1024.jpg
    oh look a green woodpecker !

:hide:

ReputationRep:
    Time-machine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MosdUncivilised)
    From what I can see on Google search, they have red heads?
    :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    Robotic arm...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    - Some form of anti-ageing medicine or something that eliminates most diseases.
    - Interstellar travel.
    - An almost-unlimited source of power/energy.

Your views?

ReputationRep:
    Homes on Mars.

ReputationRep:
    - Interstellar travel.

Your views?
    The decision for LEO to get an OSCAR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I'd say that interstellar travel would be the most important thing for the reason outlined above, our species essentially becomes immortal.

Anti-aging medicine would be incredibly good for our species. Imagine an Einstein who never grew old and died.

The transition from scarcity to abundance will already be complete by the end of this century. Between space mining, nuclear fusion and renewable energy the human species is entering an age in which it will be unrestrained by anything but its own mental faculties.
    Hmm, I think maybe you're underestimating the destructive potential of those mental faculties. As much as I hope everything you've predicted comes to pass, I think there's just as good a chance that the human race will doom itself. Maybe we have already.

ReputationRep:
    - Interstellar travel.

Your views?
    its already here.

VR.

when the technology gets to the level we know it can get at ..theres no stopping it.

ReputationRep:
    Virgin galactic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    A better battery.

For more than a century, civilisation has been built around the idea that electricity is difficult to store.

Think of a world where airliners ran on electricity; where at each airport the ground staff would refuel by substituting a fresh 50kg battery pack.

Think of cars, lorries, trains, ships, space rockets with the same performance as today but with electrical motors, minimal weight for fuel storage with power generated in large fixed ground installations at optimal cost.

Think of a power industry with competition between Icelandic geothermal producers, Norwegian hydro-electric producers, Spanish solar installations where the electricity produced is exported in electricity tankers.

Consider a general public who routinely wear electrically heated winter clothes.

Consider a world where the key factor for portable electronics is not power consumption.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Imagine if one of those batteries split open.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Robotic women.

There will be no use for real women anymore apart from reproduction and possibly sex.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Hope my controller has a mute button. :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Self-assembling IKEA furniture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    What propulsion system would these use?
    There are several different systems.

60 years ago nuclear powered turbojets had been developed with nuclear fission providing heat to drive the engine. The nuclear power could be replaced by an electric heater. You could have turbofans driven by electrically powered motors. For lower speed operations you could have propellers powered by electrical motors.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I really do not see how anyone can think that anything will have more of an impact upon humanity than the cure for ageing. There is simply no argument.

Large numbers of the global population will eventually be living into the hundreds and even thousands of years. Every area of human civilisation will undergo a revolution of the kind that has never happened before and probably won't ever happen again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    There are several different systems.

60 years ago nuclear powered turbojets had been developed with nuclear fission providing heat to drive the engine. The nuclear power could be replaced by an electric heater. You could have turbofans driven by electrically powered motors. For lower speed operations you could have propellers powered by electrical motors.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That was some interesting reading, thanks. Of course it's not feasible unless you have some way to generate a lot of electricity without fossil fuels.

ReputationRep:
    The invention of collective wisdom. It certainly won't come naturally, I think it's fair to say.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.