Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anyone actually like chavs? Watch

Announcements

Whilst most people can unanimously agree that chavs are to some degree the bane of our existence; I'm wondering if there's actually anyone out there who likes one or has got a crush on one?

ReputationRep:
    define chav

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishea16)
    define chav
    A young lower-class person typified by brash and loutish behaviour and the wearing of (real or imitation) designer clothes. < UK dictionary definition.

Picture this a young lad about 12 years of age and 4 ½ feet high baseball cap at ninety degrees in a imitation addidas tracksuit, with trouser legs tucked into his socks (of course, is definitely the height of fashion). This lad is strutting around, fag in one hand jewellery al over the over, outside McDonalds acting as if he is 8 foot tall and built like a rugby player, when some poor unsuspecting adult (about 17/18) walks round the corner wanting to go to mcdonalds for his dinner glances at the young lad, the young lad jumps up in complete disgust and says “Whats your problem? Wanna make sommin of it? Bling Bling” when the adult starts to walk towards the young lad, the young lad pisses himself and runs off to either his pregnant 14-year-old girlfriend or his brother in the army crying his eyes out. <Urban dictionary definition.

ReputationRep:
    Why not.

I like different people

define chav
    A person, irrespective of financial status that has bad manners and treats everyone including friends, family and authority figures with disrespect. Typically wears scruffy sportswear outside of contexts where it would be considered normal (e.g: gym/ martial arts) Usually has a poor grasp of spelling and grammar and a bad grasp of the English language in general and does not have any interest in education or bettering themselves. Usually takes on aspects of 'gang culture' yet harbours racist and possibly sexist thought patterns.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I am chav. Solidarnosc.

(Original post by AthiaKarim)
    Why not.

I like different people
    Would you date one?

(Original post by uberteknik)
    I am chav. Solidarnosc.
    In what way are you a chav? Calling yourself that is not a good thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Would you date one?
    Sure why not. If I liked him. I don't oppose.

Would you?

ReputationRep:
    Would you date one?
    Not addressed to me but no.

ReputationRep:
    Quite a lot of people I've met that were deemed to be 'chavs' ended up actually being nice people, although their appearance wasn't the best.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    In what way are you a chav? Calling yourself that is not a good thing
    Is arbitrarily elevating oneself above and judging another for the clothes they wear, the food they eat, the way they speak, where they live, their standard of education or the families they are born into a good thing? Sounds a bit bigoted to me.

ReputationRep:

Would you?
    I mean, the word 'chav' is used-typically- when something is bad, so I can't see how you would have the means to like someone who is 'labelled' as an inherently negative thing therefore putting yourself under that label. Would you want the word 'chav' to be associated with you simply because you dated someone that is one? But then again is deeming yourself better or of higher importance worse than dating a 'looked down upon' person simply because of where they came from, where they went to school or how they dressed?

(Original post by uberteknik)
    Is arbitrarily elevating oneself above and judging another for the clothes they wear, where they live, their standard of education or the families they are born into a good thing?
    No but then again most chavs (at least the definition I subscribe to) don't help themselves by being lazy at school, bullying, messing around in class or terrorising innocent random people. If they really wanted to make something of their lives they could, instead they choose wilfully to be horrid and a blight on society and make irresponsible choices

ReputationRep:
    define chav
    Generally, the type of person that appears on the Jeremy Kyle show.

(Original post by kkboyk)
    Quite a lot of people I've met that were deemed to be 'chavs' ended up actually being nice people, although their appearance wasn't the best.
    Then they probably weren't real chavs; they just dressed like one

Would you?
    I have a crush on one at my workplace but his lack of educational, or indeed, any ambition is a big turn off not to mention the fact that he has 0% respect for anyone besides himself and is generally not a very nice person at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meridian-S)
    I mean, the word 'chav' is used-typically- when something is bad, so I can't see how you would have the means to like someone who is 'labelled' as an inherently negative thing therefore putting yourself under that label. Would you want the word 'chav' to be associated with you simply because you dated someone that is one?
    If I fell in love with them, then I guess I would be with them regardless of what label society fixes them up with. I guess I'm drawn to the individual and not what society tells me what this persons is ought to be.
    And also, I'm not that bothered with how I am perceived by others.

Also, I do feel like there is a difference between a label and the individual. I think most of us view people with predisposed ideas, which distracts us from seeing who they really are. I really do believe that a "chav" is a fixed term that society has created to put down people. And I do believe that some "chavs" can distance themselves from this label.

So really, all isn't too bad.

ReputationRep:
    That is a derogatory term. And why should one have reasons not to like them?

ReputationRep:
    I have a crush on one at my workplace but his lack of educational, or indeed, any ambition is a big turn off not to mention the fact that he has 0% respect for anyone besides himself and is generally not a very nice person at all
    All these things can be rectified, it's a matter of where they choose to go from there, and who appears in there life to either try to help them or drag them further from a happy life. Disrespect, education, manners etc can all be changed with enough work, the same goes for lazy ethics and sloppy morals.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.