Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I am applying for transfer from an FdSc first year in computing to a BSc first year in computing and I was wondering If my tutor HAS to disclose information regarding my attendance in my reference?

My attendance is pretty low at 49% however this does not affect my grades and despite one module my grades are over 60% - I got 83% overall for one module and are getting high 2:1 and 1sts in my work. It is important to note my attendance has been low due to a personal situation and mental health problems.

I am very passionate about the subject I study but the course just doesn't suit my learning style as it is very similar to being on a BTEC course - classroom based etc and I would prefer a more traditional uni style where I can be a bit more independent with my work - I think I would succeed more.

I have asked my tutor for a reference and she has said:
    "I can give you an academic reference but I will have to quote the figures and details we hold for attendance, I can explain that with the personal issue you have had you have done well with the work you have submitted."

I am applying for some unis that are quite high up in the league tables and I am petrified anything negative might make me seem like I'm not passionate or committed thus, hindering my chances.

Should I just ask an old Sixth form teacher to do it?
    Im really worried.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChloeU56)
    Hello,
    I am applying for transfer from an FdSc first year in computing to a BSc first year in computing and I was wondering If my tutor HAS to disclose information regarding my attendance in my reference?

My attendance is pretty low at 49% however this does not affect my grades and despite one module my grades are over 60% - I got 83% overall for one module and are getting high 2:1 and 1sts in my work. It is important to note my attendance has been low due to a personal situation and mental health problems.

I am very passionate about the subject I study but the course just doesn't suit my learning style as it is very similar to being on a BTEC course - classroom based etc and I would prefer a more traditional uni style where I can be a bit more independent with my work - I think I would succeed more.

I have asked my tutor for a reference and she has said:
    "I can give you an academic reference but I will have to quote the figures and details we hold for attendance, I can explain that with the personal issue you have had you have done well with the work you have submitted."

I am applying for some unis that are quite high up in the league tables and I am petrified anything negative might make me seem like I'm not passionate or committed thus, hindering my chances.

Should I just ask an old Sixth form teacher to do it?
    Im really worried.[/font]
    I m afraid as you re already at university it could look suspicious to get your sixth form tutor to do it. I wouldn't worry too much as you say your tutor is willing to explain your personal issues in your reference and it's not made a negative difference to your grades.

Have you contacted the universities you wish to apply to? As it is after the equal consideration deadline it d be a good idea to check they have places before putting your application in.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    And your attendance isn't really that big an issue, especially given you have extenuating circumstances. They are much more interested in your academic results.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.