Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I'm a student from Canada. Due to an incredibly unfair teacher, I have achieved a low grade 12 chemistry mark (88%). I was wondering if any medical school would even consider me with that mark in chem?
    It is a significant drop from my 93% in grade 11
    My grade 11 math mark was a 90%
    My grade 11 physics mark was a 91%
    I am also involved in a number of extracurricular activities as well as volunteer work
    Which universities (if any) do you think would accept me?

Awesome Genius

ReputationRep:
    If you plan on going back to practice in Canada (and you don't have any connections in the Canadian medical field i.e neither your father nor your mother are doctors in Canada and you don't have any close family members or close family friends that are doctors in Canada), you would be in a much better position if you studied medicine in Canada (or America). It is incredibly difficult to become employed as a doctor in Canada with an international medical degree (a medical degree from the UK is considered international), even if you performed incredibly well in all the licensing exams. Besides, the majority of Canadian medical schools are graduate schools, i.e. you require a 3 or 4 years bachelor's degree to meet the academic criteria for applying. Your grade 12 chemistry mark is considerably less important than how you perform in your bachelor's.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, thank you for your reply. I do have connections in Canada and practicing medicine here isn't a priority.
    Which schools in the UK do you think I should apply for?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brookecanada)
    Hello, thank you for your reply. I do have connections in Canada and practicing medicine here isn't a priority.
    Which schools in the UK do you think I should apply for?
    Given the political current climate, being a doctor in the UK is really not an attractive option at the moment, especially given how much you'd have to pay. I would stick to Canada if I were you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.