Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Okay I have completed A2 this jan.My panic attack started from december,I cried everywhere and as much as I could,I couldn't stop..I saw what was coming.The fear of failing exam was killing me from inside.I was always a bright student or that's what everyone said.I did well in classes whole year.but near november everyone started having rapid acceleration and didn't have that.I started having poor grades comparatively.In school,the teachers completed syllabus around november,then we started past papers and found A2 chemistry unit 5 so damn hard!I checked them against mark scheme at home by myself and got either an U or E.In jan there was 2 exams in the same day,S1 and chem5.s1 was okay but chem 5..there was sounds of crying student in exam hall..yet I knew I was the worst..I didn't cry but my face,head and neck was burning up.I knew it was over.I couldn't save my grades.The very next day there was chem 6. I panicked so much that even letters looked abnormal,I was burning myself up again,I didn't cry.

After exam was over,I was thinking about exams all the time and what explanation I am going to give to the society I live in.Why did I messed things up?My brother is a brilliant student.He got 4A* in his A level.I couldn't even handle 3 subjects.I had physics,chemistry and maths.I couldn't blame anyone but me but I couldn't understand where I went wrong.My grades will say it all I guess.I had AAB..that B was for chem.

I went to vacation few days ago.I had fun and felt better.But when I tried to do new things like playing badminton,I couldn't.when I tried to surf,the ball fell before I could hit,I tried to learn it,but I couldn't.I feel like I am good for nothing.Am I going crazy?which uni is going to take me?who is going to marry me?How am I going to survive?I think all day and then get tired and sleep.I sleep a lot nowadays.I don't do anythin g when I am awake either.I can't die I know..it's wrong etc..but what's the point of being alive when I am useless to the society.What can I do to help others?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm so sorry you're going through this, it sounds to me like you might have anxiety relating to the stress of school and Uni, I would strongly recommend speaking to your gp so they can properly diagnose you and help you get through it, as unpleasant as it is, many, many students go through it and you have nothing to be upset about, this is temporary but you will be able to help yourself more if you start working on it now. For now, I would just advise you to distract yourself from the negative thoughts as much as possible and perhaps look in to cbt as that often has very positive effects with this issue, hope this helps

Thank you I will try to distract myself from negative thoughts as much as possible.

ReputationRep:
    First and foremost, it's pretty common in students to become ill with stress. But really, AAB are still very good grades, and you should be proud of them. The other thing is you shouldn't compare yourself to anyone BUT yourself. Why? Because you are your own person; you have your own talents and skills, experiences, personality, likes and dislikes, etc. Comparing yourself to your brother (or classmates) will get you nowhere fast and only set you up for failure. You need to start with you and improve where you think you're currently lagging behind. That's how things get better! Work your hardest at whatever you do in life and strive to be better than your best. Don't compare yourself to others and take no notice of people comparing you to others either (e.g. if your parents compare you to your brother, pay them no mind!).

With AAB you can get into many respectable universities. You're not crazy. If a person doesn't want to be with you due to your A-Level grades then they're not worth it anyway imo, as that's a very trivial reason not to love someone and care for them. And you will survive. Everyone has this issue where they think of the worst scenario imaginable and say how they won't be able to cope with it or survive, but guess what? Most of the time people are able to survive, and you're no different! This is called affective forecasting. You try to predict how you're going to react to certain things and tend to predict the worst possible outcome and then proceed to stress yourself out about it. But you can (and will!) get through it.

Like the poster above me I'd suggest going to your GP and asking for help as you seem to be going through a lot of things right now and could do with some support. They may suggest medication or psychological therapies (most likely CBT or counselling) - both could be beneficial for you at this time, but weigh up the pros and cons of each. At the very least though, if you don't want to go to your GP (yet) then I suggest talking to friends and family about how you're feeling currently, social support can work wonders in improving your well-being!

Oh, there were also a couple of things I found useful when I went to my GP about my own MH issues, they might be of help to you too:
    - Ask for someone who is well versed/has a "special interest" in mental health, they tend to be a lot more helpful AND less ignorant than the average GP with issues relating to MH (e.g. depression);
    - Get a double appointment so you don't have to rush yourself when you do go and speak to them about your troubles, this is completely within your rights and is actually preferable for your first visit for MH queries;
    - Take a friend or family member with you so they can be there for support or to explain from their point of view how you've been recently (e.g. you say that you've been sleeping a lot more than usual, they may have noticed that and become concerned for your well-being);
    - Use this site to create a list of things that are currently affecting you and your mental health. Make sure you print it out and take it along with you to your appointment!

There's also this site where you can do a short course of CBT online, it may (or may not) be of help to you, but it's worth a shot whilst you decide whether or not you go to your GP!

I hope things get better for you soon, OP. Don't give up! There's still hope. :console:

(Original post by Pathway)
    First and foremost, it's pretty common in students to become ill with stress. But really, AAB are still very good grades, and you should be proud of them. The other thing is you shouldn't compare yourself to anyone BUT yourself. Why? Because you are your own person; you have your own talents and skills, experiences, personality, likes and dislikes, etc. Comparing yourself to your brother (or classmates) will get you nowhere fast and only set you up for failure. You need to start with you and improve where you think you're currently lagging behind. That's how things get better! Work your hardest at whatever you do in life and strive to be better than your best. Don't compare yourself to others and take no notice of people comparing you to others either (e.g. if your parents compare you to your brother, pay them no mind!).

With AAB you can get into many respectable universities. You're not crazy. If a person doesn't want to be with you due to your A-Level grades then they're not worth it anyway imo, as that's a very trivial reason not to love someone and care for them. And you will survive. Everyone has this issue where they think of the worst scenario imaginable and say how they won't be able to cope with it or survive, but guess what? Most of the time people are able to survive, and you're no different! This is called affective forecasting. You try to predict how you're going to react to certain things and tend to predict the worst possible outcome and then proceed to stress yourself out about it. But you can (and will!) get through it.

Like the poster above me I'd suggest going to your GP and asking for help as you seem to be going through a lot of things right now and could do with some support. They may suggest medication or psychological therapies (most likely CBT or counselling) - both could be beneficial for you at this time, but weigh up the pros and cons of each. At the very least though, if you don't want to go to your GP (yet) then I suggest talking to friends and family about how you're feeling currently, social support can work wonders in improving your well-being!

Oh, there were also a couple of things I found useful when I went to my GP about my own MH issues, they might be of help to you too:
    - Ask for someone who is well versed/has a "special interest" in mental health, they tend to be a lot more helpful AND less ignorant than the average GP with issues relating to MH (e.g. depression);
    - Get a double appointment so you don't have to rush yourself when you do go and speak to them about your troubles, this is completely within your rights and is actually preferable for your first visit for MH queries;
    - Take a friend or family member with you so they can be there for support or to explain from their point of view how you've been recently (e.g. you say that you've been sleeping a lot more than usual, they may have noticed that and become concerned for your well-being);
    - Use this site to create a list of things that are currently affecting you and your mental health. Make sure you print it out and take it along with you to your appointment!

There's also this site where you can do a short course of CBT online, it may (or may not) be of help to you, but it's worth a shot whilst you decide whether or not you go to your GP!

I hope things get better for you soon, OP. Don't give up! There's still hope. :console:
    Actually I didn't get AAB.I got AAB in my AS.I completed A2 this jan and result hasn't come out yet.Result is going to come out on 3rd march 2016.I took some norzin tablets as my father suggested.The tablet contains Fluphenazine HCL BP 0.5mg & Nortriptyline HCL BP 10mg.My parents think I don't need a gp yet.Well I went out to meet friends and felt lil better plus started studying some basic sat,toefl,gmat things.I found the gmat part hard but started something as these are the things that come up in uni admission test in my country.I got a little better at badminton,tryig to learn new stuffs and also tried to not be too harsh on myself.But ahh..only 2 days left before the results and I know that I might actually fail chemistry 5 and 6.I am not sure about physics 5 too much either.I feel bad for myself.Hopefully it won't be that bad.Trust me even ABC will make me damn happy.My prediction is Math-A,Physics-B,Chemistry-C.Anything less than this prediction will mean I will have to repeat and that fear of having to study the same crappy things again is getting on my nerves.Well yah there is hope,pray for me guys.I hope there is actually still hope.

I got exactly ABC,math-A,phy-B,chem-C. ahh feeling a lot better I must say.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 3, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.