Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tories now with a 14pt lead in the polls... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Last week there was a doctors' strike, supported by a majority of the public. Here's how Labour have capitalised:

CON: 41% (+1)
    LAB: 27% (-2)
    UKIP: 15% (-1)
    LDEM: 9% (+2)
    GRN: 3% (-)
    (via ComRes online)

Labour now closer to UKIP than Conservatives

ReputationRep:
    Labour are simply unelectable at this point in time, from my perspective.

ReputationRep:
    Labour made a mistake in electing Corbyn, probably the biggest since Foot.

ReputationRep:
    And the Lib Dems - a rational middle-ground - at 9%, below UKIP.

It's entirely the fault of the voters that this country is how it is.

ReputationRep:
    David Cameron > cares about the people in Britain

Jeremy Corbyn > cares about the people outside of Britain (the only thing I remember him doing recently is visit the people in Calais)

Sure, the Tories - and David Cameron - can make mistakes at times, and propose quite a lot of things I disagree with, but they're a damn sight better than Labour.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how much stock I'd put on a single poll. The Conservative lead has fluctuated between 4% and 15% since Corbyn's election.

Although Labour are proving to be woeful opposition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Labour made a mistake in electing Corbyn, probably the biggest since Foot.
    they shot themselves in the Foot :yep:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by NoPunInThisName)
    Tories sh*t on the Country and still they're the preferred party. Shows how dreadful Labour are at the minute, this country is going down the toilet fast.
    The Tories are the natural party of government, for all the flack they get one has to ask how much of that is simply due to the current generation of mainstream journalists and young people being from the Blair era? If the Tories are as bad as such people make out they woukd not be the natural party of government

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Quantex)
    I don't know how much stock I'd put on a single poll. The Conservative lead has fluctuated between 4% and 15% since Corbyn's election.

Even when you throw that in, the monthly averages sit around the 8-9% mark, which really is something. This is the worst labour have polled at this point after an election loss since regular polling began just after the war, they are not far off the worst they have ever done a hear after an election (which was actually after a win) which I think was 10% average.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    they shot themselves in the Foot :yep:
    😂😂😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    The Tories are the natural party of government, for all the flack they get one has to ask how much of that is simply due to the current generation of mainstream journalists and young people being from the Blair era? If the Tories are as bad as such people make out they woukd not be the natural party of government

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's a strange logic right there.
    Not even making a value judgement of the tories but to argue that since they are elected they are not that bad, is quite weak. Hitler was elected, the Muslim Brotherhood were elected, the apartheid government of South Africa was elected, Bush was elected (well kinda).

Being elected does not mean you're bad or good, it just means you're elected.

ReputationRep:
    Leicester's lead cut to 2pts

ReputationRep:
    Clearly everyone's a masochist (their own demise under the Tories- they love it) and a sadist (like watching everyone else suffer while their benefits are cut etc)

And dumb as...

(Original post by Little Popcorns)
    Clearly everyone's a masochist (their own demise under the Tories- they love it) and a sadist (like watching everyone else suffer while their benefits are cut etc)

And dumb as...
    Or perhaps they're supporting the lesser (or least, if you want to consider more than two parties) of two (/many) evils?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoPunInThisName)
    Tories sh*t on the Country and still they're the preferred party. Shows how dreadful Labour are at the minute, this country is going down the toilet fast.
    Hm.... no we actually getting better by far.

ReputationRep:

I'm not a fan of online polls myself which is why i never opened the thread however even if we take ICM, Ipsos and Comres for the Mail (they are employed by multiple papers and use telephone polling for their polls for the Mail) then we still see an average lead of 6.3% in Jan in polls which the polling council concluded were underestimating the Tory vote due to incorrect samples. Indeed its notable that the ICM boss actually issued a statement with the poll which essentially said that it was highly likely that they had Labour too high and the Tories too low.

Right now the Tories are looking at gains compared to their general election position in reality and this time in the last parliament Miliband was tied if not ahead.

One thing to note is that since Jan 25th we've not had a single poll with less than a 9% lead, This may be an anomaly but it's possible that this Europe deal has done the Tories some favors (perhaps the electorate sees that they really are getting a referendum).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    That's a strange logic right there.
    Not even making a value judgement of the tories but to argue that since they are elected they are not that bad, is quite weak. Hitler was elected, the Muslim Brotherhood were elected, the apartheid government of South Africa was elected, Bush was elected (well kinda).

Being elected does not mean you're bad or good, it just means you're elected.
    The thing is that unlike the Nazi party, Muslim brotherhood etc the Tories have been consistently elected since their inception nearly two centuries ago, and before then the predecessor parties were consistently elected for centuries. Even if we just focus on the last century with largely universal suffrage the consistent electoral success, particularly being the party of government for the last century would imply that they are the preferred party if the populace, even with until recently an inherent electoral bias against them. [Insert same conclusion as before here]

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SentryE3D)
    Leicester's lead cut to 2pts
    Please delete this post.

I was avoiding the match until i could watch MOTD tonight. At least others won't have the result spoilered if you delete it now.

ReputationRep:
    And dumb as...
    I'm dumb as...?

ReputationRep:

Yes you're right: the polls usually overestimate labour's support.

(Original post by JordanL_)
    And the Lib Dems - a rational middle-ground - at 9%, below UKIP.

It's entirely the fault of the voters that this country is how it is.
    Have you seen the current leader of the lib dems? Rational middle I'm not so sure. He seems very evangelical.

And dumb as...
    For people who have a stake in the country (homeowners/aspirational people etc) the tories are far better than EdM or Corbyn. For those on the fringes yes labour are better but it does not matter if you are out of gov't

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 18, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.