Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Nottingham, Manchester or Edinburgh for FO IB? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

I've received offers for Bsc Industrial Econ at Notts, Bsc International Business, Finance and Economics at Manchester and MA Business and Economics at Edinburgh. Which one would give me the best options to break into FO Investment Banking? I'm going to give you further info below.

Manchester and Edinburgh are 4 year courses, so I'd have an extra year to prepare for spring week applications. Notts has probably the best reputation out of the three for investment banking. But I think that I would enjoy the courses & my time at Manchester or Edinburgh more, so I'd probably get higher grades there. Notts and Edinburgh would give me exchange opportunities. At Manchester I would have a work placement year and the option to study Spanish included in my course. (Spanish because I'm already fairly good at it and want to become completely fluent). And lastly at Edinburgh I would save money as I wouldn't have to pay tuiton fees and could save this money for an MSc in Finance if needed after my bachelor.

Thank you for your help!

ReputationRep:
    notts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactor)
    Hi guys!

I've received offers for Bsc Industrial Econ at Notts, Bsc International Business, Finance and Economics at Manchester and MA Business and Economics at Edinburgh. Which one would give me the best options to break into FO Investment Banking? I'm going to give you further info below.

Manchester and Edinburgh are 4 year courses, so I'd have an extra year to prepare for spring week applications. Notts has probably the best reputation out of the three for investment banking. But I think that I would enjoy the courses & my time at Manchester or Edinburgh more, so I'd probably get higher grades there. Notts and Edinburgh would give me exchange opportunities. At Manchester I would have a work placement year and the option to study Spanish included in my course. (Spanish because I'm already fairly good at it and want to become completely fluent). And lastly at Edinburgh I would save money as I wouldn't have to pay tuiton fees and could save this money for an MSc in Finance if needed after my bachelor.

Thank you for your help!
    Well it seems like you have already answered your own question. Edinburgh seems like the best choice for you. You prefer the course at Edinburgh and as a uni. The uni gives you exchange opportunities and you would save ALOT of money without the tuition fees and you get an extra year to prepare.

Nottingham would be slightly better to break into IB but if your a strong applicant the difference between any of these 3 universities for breaking in would be very small.

ReputationRep:
    Something to consider is the geography. Going to Edinburgh will be a bit of a pain for interviews/AC's in London, especially during term time. Whereas at Notts and Manchester it'll be more manageable.

Obviously this is a small point in the grand scheme of things, and shouldn't be your deciding factor. Just worth thinking about.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

Thank you for your help!
    The typical way I'd answer this is: Notts>Edinburgh>Manchester

But, as you've already expressed clear preference for the latter two, I'd say go with whichever you'd enjoy more. Edinburgh is a good name within the industry and the tuition fee dynamic is a solid draw. Certainly, you wouldn't be gravely disadvantaged from applying.

My only worry is whether you can cope with the distance for face-to-face interviews or Assessment Centres when summer internship/graduate recruiting season comes around. But even then, it's a minor point.

Of course, Notts has been performing strongly in terms of overall numbers sent into FO IB but a strong candidate from Manc/Ed will fair just as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I agree, the distance to London is quite a problem with Edinburgh, but overall, I think that's going to be my firm choice. I just wanted to get a feeling on what others think about the difference in prospects between these unis. It's a tough decision given the small margins and I'm not sure entirely sure yet whether I will go for Notts or Manchester as insurance choice.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, the distance to London is quite a problem with Edinburgh, but overall, I think that's going to be my firm choice. I just wanted to get a feeling on what others think about the difference in prospects between these unis. It's a tough decision given the small margins and I'm not sure entirely sure yet whether I will go for Notts or Manchester as insurance choice.
    I also had the same dilemma, however this was for my insurance. I had to decide between BA Economics and Finance at Manchester or Industrial Econ at Notts.

In the end I picked Nottingham. Purely because it has Economics in the degree title, and Nottingham is placed highly for Econ. So surely if you're looking to get into IB I would go for Notts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by member1753327)
    I also had the same dilemma, however this was for my insurance. I had to decide between BA Economics and Finance at Manchester or Industrial Econ at Notts.

In the end I picked Nottingham. Purely because it has Economics in the degree title, and Nottingham is placed highly for Econ. So surely if you're looking to get into IB I would go for Notts.
    lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.