Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How is Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics at A levels? watch

ReputationRep:
    Can you pleas give me an insight of it?
    Thank You

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry and Maths are enjoyable. If you keep doing PPQs and keep on top of the work early on then you should be fine. Personally, I found Biology a dull subject. Most of my work consisted of memorising topic content which was done outside of class, I dont think I learnt much in class. Saying that, it was the easiest subject out of the three for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hussm)
    Chemistry and Maths are enjoyable. If you keep doing PPQs and keep on top of the work early on then you should be fine. Personally, I found Biology a dull subject. Most of my work consisted of memorising topic content which was done outside of class, I dont think I learnt much in class. Saying that, it was the easiest subject out of the three for me.
    im in year 11 and im taking biology next year , can u specify why biology was boring cos i tend to get bored easily during lessons and start messing around. would you advise me to take biology nevertheless? because im doing medicine and so i thought it would be useful. thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loshaw20)
    im in year 11 and im taking biology next year , can u specify why biology was boring cos i tend to get bored easily during lessons and start messing around. would you advise me to take biology nevertheless? because im doing medicine and so i thought it would be useful. thanks
    I may not be the one you've replied to but heres my take on it:

Theres an extreme amount of info you must know, especially at A2 so lessons would tend to be boring. Ive stopped paying attention in lessons for around 4months now, because of the fact that the teachers just stands in front amd tries to drill a huge amount of info into our heads.

Nonetheless, the topics are pretty interesting if you genuinely do like learning about living organisms (especially humans).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)

Theres an extreme amount of info you must know, especially at A2 so lessons would tend to be boring. Ive stopped paying attention in lessons for around 4months now, because of the fact that the teachers just stands in front amd tries to drill a huge amount of info into our heads.

Nonetheless, the topics are pretty interesting if you genuinely do like learning about living organisms (especially humans).
    right ok. the thing with me is that i like the part on human organim and the structure of the body and stuff. but when it gets to plants and ecosystems and stuff i tend to switch off. so what percentage would be plants and stuff and not humans ?

ReputationRep:
    I would advise taking biology. There's alot of content to learn and its all varied eg, plants, ecosystems, biological molecules etc some topics you may not like but if you can learn the content you should be fine. I think the majority feel the same way as you in regards to biology classes so that's nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently taking Chemistry and Physics at A2, I have found both incredibly interesting - much more so than GCSE!
    Regarding the jump from GCSE to A-Level, the jump for Physics is VAST, but the interesting content makes up for it!
    Chemistry is just brill (y)
    All my friends who take Biology find it dull. One friend got full UMS last year in AS and still dropped it just because it was not enjoyable.

ReputationRep:
    Plus.. Biology isn't a real science...
    -It's a LOT easier than Physics and Chemistry, mind.

ReputationRep:
    right ok. the thing with me is that i like the part on human organim and the structure of the body and stuff. but when it gets to plants and ecosystems and stuff i tend to switch off. so what percentage would be plants and stuff and not humans ?
    I'm the same and it generally depends on which exam board you on, amd its completely different to each unit. For AS its usually 30% plants for AQA, but then 80% for a whole unit at A2 and 0% for the last unit. You'll be learning things at a biochemistry level, even more at A2 where you learn how chemicals causes nerve impulses and such.

The plant bits can actually be kinda interesting if you read a little ahead of the syllabus.

You should definitely do Biology since you will cover most topics from A-level during the first yr, but a little more advanced and learn more on the chemistry side of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowie)
    It is a 'real' science.

ReputationRep:
    Is there any career route you have in mind? - As some courses require certain sciences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hussm)
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowie)
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hussm)
    I would advise taking biology. There's alot of content to learn and its all varied eg, plants, ecosystems, biological molecules etc some topics you may not like but if you can learn the content you should be fine. I think the majority feel the same way as you in regards to biology classes so that's nothing to worry about.
    im interested in human part , just not the ecos ystem and plants so i think id get bored

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)

is it like GCSE just with a lot more to learn?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by defenestrated)
    is it like GCSE just with a lot more to learn?
    Pretty much but more chemistry based, and more applied questions.

Don't assume it'll be the same as GCSE though.

ReputationRep:
    Quite a lot of it is plants which annoyed the people who were only interested in humans. Human biology might be a better fit for you, but isn't always accepted for medicine if that's what you're going for(the people who didn't like plants tend to be the people who applied for medicine).
    There's a little bit of ecosystems and stuff.

I found the other A-levels more interesting, but I'm still glad I took biology. The others are more problem solving based. Chemistry there's still quite a lot to learn(not as much as biology) and you have to apply it more. For maths and physics there is little to learn and most of it is about the problems.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.