Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1455449502.546761.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  92.6 KB

How would you answer this question?
    Do u start by writing every fragmentation equation possible?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It isn't asking about fragmentation, the Q asks about the molecular ion peak/s.

Consider chloromethane. It will have two molecular ion peaks, one for CH335Cl and another due to CH337Cl.Now consider dichloromethane, there will be three peaks: one with 2x35Cl, two with 35Cl and 37Cl and one with 2x37Cl.

Your molecule has 4xCl atoms. You do the math.

Oooo 1500.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    It isn't asking about fragmentation, the Q asks about the molecular ion peak/s.

Consider chloromethane. It will have two molecular ion peaks, one for CH335Cl and another due to CH337Cl.Now consider dichloromethane, there will be three peaks: one with 2x35Cl, two with 35Cl and 37Cl and one with 2x37Cl.

Your molecule has 4xCl atoms. You do the math.

Oooo 1500.
    Oh so there will be 5 peaks in total. Also what does the most abundant molecular ion mean

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    35Cl makes up about 75% of all the Cl atoms.

If you look at the MS of chloromethane, the peak at 50 (due to CH335Cl) is 3x the size of the peak at 52 (3:1 ratio = 75%:25%). The most abundant peak is simply the one that is most common, in that case, the peak at 50.

Of the five peaks, which is most common?

ReputationRep:
    35Cl makes up about 75% of all the Cl atoms.

If you look at the MS of chloromethane, the peak at 50 (due to CH335Cl) is 3x the size of the peak at 52 (3:1 ratio = 75%:25%). The most abundant peak is simply the one that is most common, in that case, the peak at 50.

Of the five peaks, which is most common?
    Oh okay so I think I got it. The most abundant peak is at 224? Correct?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I make it 320.

ReputationRep:
    I make it 320.
    Ah thanks I got it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 20, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.