The Student Room Group

Advice on A-Levels

Hi,
I am currently taking History, Sociology and Welsh Bacc at sixth form. I was thinking of either taking Economics or Government and Politics as a 'fast track' for next year.
For those who do not know 'fast track' is when you sit AS and A2 in one year, I want to do this because my faith in Welsh Bacc as an accepted A-Levels is very low.
I just wanted advice from people who have either taken or are taking these subjects on which one is easier to learn over the course of a single year and which one you found to be better overall.

Thank you very much!
Reply 1
Original post by Zephyrus144
Hi,
I am currently taking History, Sociology and Welsh Bacc at sixth form. I was thinking of either taking Economics or Government and Politics as a 'fast track' for next year.
For those who do not know 'fast track' is when you sit AS and A2 in one year, I want to do this because my faith in Welsh Bacc as an accepted A-Levels is very low.
I just wanted advice from people who have either taken or are taking these subjects on which one is easier to learn over the course of a single year and which one you found to be better overall.

Thank you very much!

Hi, are you looking to apply to uni next year? If so I would only stick with the 3 as it will be much harder to do 4 and you'll gain no discernible benifit whilst probably see a dip in exam performance.

If, however you aren't then I can see the benifit in the jobs market. Again you will likely see a dip in exams performance though. I would suggest only doing this is your heart is set on a subject.
Reply 2
Original post by Aph
Hi, are you looking to apply to uni next year? If so I would only stick with the 3 as it will be much harder to do 4 and you'll gain no discernible benifit whilst probably see a dip in exam performance.

If, however you aren't then I can see the benifit in the jobs market. Again you will likely see a dip in exams performance though. I would suggest only doing this is your heart is set on a subject.

Hi,
Yes I am doing AS right now so next year i will be applying for university.
I was thinking about taking it as Welsh Bacc is a sort of a grey area because some universities accepted it but others do not and I didn't want to go to university with an A-Level that I am not confident in. Also Welsh Bacc is all coursework so I spend no time outside of the class doing the work so work load is not an issue.

Quick Reply