Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What ways are good to revise for exams which are in 3 months? And what should you do to achieve A*s in lots of subjects?

ReputationRep:
    PRACTICE QUESTIONS
    Mindmaps
    Flashcards
    Re-reading Eng lit texts and annotating

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xoxmuffinxox)
    What ways are good to revise for exams which are in 3 months? And what should you do to achieve A*s in lots of subjects?
    I'm an A2 student now so have had public exams for the last 2 years so I'd say the following:

1. Be honest with yourself about where you are in relation to where you want to be. If you want an A* in maths say and get an A* with no revision currently, then you probably don't need to spend huge amounts of time on maths which could be better used elsewhere (obviously don't get complacent though), and obviously the opposite applies where your current achievement is drastically dissimilar to your aims.

2. If you prepare properly, you should never be worried about an exam. As long as you have prepared properly the exam is just an opportunity to show off what you know. At the upper ends of the spectrum, i.e. you want an A*, for stuff like sciences and maths you should be able to get to a point where you know everything they can ask you, and if you reach this point there is no need to be worried because they can't ask you anything you don't know (use the spec). If you get stuck in the exam on maths or sciences, you just need to work out what part of knowledge which you already have if you prepared properly can be applied to the situation in the question.

3. Revise hard but also make time to do other stuff. As a general rule I typically don't do revision after around 8:30 meaning i have plenty of time to relax watch tv etc. Obviously in the middle of exams you've got to do what you've got to do, but if you know you are ready for something don't feel as if you have to do more just because other people are.

4. As far as actual revision goes, you need to find what works for you. If you understand everything than you might be able to just read through a revision guide, but if you don't then you might need to do something more proactive e.g. notes flashcards etc. I would highly recommend doing pastpapers, but try and do them once you know all of the content. It's much more useful to do the pastpapers once you know the majority of the content than it is to keep having to stop/look at mark schemes every 2 questions because you don't know the content well eough.

ReputationRep:
    notes, flashcards, mindmaps, videos, online quizzes
    whichever ones work best for you
    and definitely do past papers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    I'm an A2 student now so have had public exams for the last 2 years so I'd say the following:

1. Be honest with yourself about where you are in relation to where you want to be. If you want an A* in maths say and get an A* with no revision currently, then you probably don't need to spend huge amounts of time on maths which could be better used elsewhere (obviously don't get complacent though), and obviously the opposite applies where your current achievement is drastically dissimilar to your aims.

2. If you prepare properly, you should never be worried about an exam. As long as you have prepared properly the exam is just an opportunity to show off what you know. At the upper ends of the spectrum, i.e. you want an A*, for stuff like sciences and maths you should be able to get to a point where you know everything they can ask you, and if you reach this point there is no need to be worried because they can't ask you anything you don't know (use the spec). If you get stuck in the exam on maths or sciences, you just need to work out what part of knowledge which you already have if you prepared properly can be applied to the situation in the question.

3. Revise hard but also make time to do other stuff. As a general rule I typically don't do revision after around 8:30 meaning i have plenty of time to relax watch tv etc. Obviously in the middle of exams you've got to do what you've got to do, but if you know you are ready for something don't feel as if you have to do more just because other people are.

4. As far as actual revision goes, you need to find what works for you. If you understand everything than you might be able to just read through a revision guide, but if you don't then you might need to do something more proactive e.g. notes flashcards etc. I would highly recommend doing pastpapers, but try and do them once you know all of the content. It's much more useful to do the pastpapers once you know the majority of the content than it is to keep having to stop/look at mark schemes every 2 questions because you don't know the content well eough.
    Thank you that was really helpful. Is there anything you did wrong in your exams which should be avoided?

ReputationRep:
    Mindmaps and flashcards

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same position, I'd also like to achieve A*'s. I am a kinaesthetic learner, so I find actually teaching my parents what I've learnt a good way to consolidate my revision. Also, revising for maths, I use maths watch, and Corbett maths ( there loads of past exam qs on each topic, with solutions and videos).

ReputationRep:
    Thank you that was really helpful. Is there anything you did wrong in your exams which should be avoided?
    Tbh there isn't a huge amount i'd do differently - I maybe would have started slightly earlier but nothing major

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hxfsxh)
    PRACTICE QUESTIONS
    Mindmaps
    Flashcards
    Re-reading Eng lit texts and annotating
    What do you include in the mindmaps?

ReputationRep:
    What do you include in the mindmaps?

I only use them for english literature.
    So a mindmap for each character and theme. Include key quotes/analysis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hxfsxh)
    I only use them for english literature.
    So a mindmap for each character and theme. Include key quotes/analysis.
    Ok. The questions was more for science etc

ReputationRep:
    This is what I do make notes and read through them or sometimes print out notes for some subjects, do past papers and mark them myself and try to look at the weaker area's and go through them again and then just continuously do the same until I can get a A*/A in all the papers. I love online videos and use them a lot. A lot of people here are suggesting flashcards but to be honest I dislike them as they are time consuming to make and you can only get a tiny bit of information on one card. I love detailed notes but it's up to you. I don't use mind maps either as I don't like them but it's up to you. I prefer past papers to online quizzes.

ReputationRep:
    I find this guys videos brilliant for sciences https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUC...1ctTM0lkILbbwA

ReputationRep:
    Any tips for English Lit? (Of Mice and Men, An Inspector Calls, Macbeth, Pride and Prejudice)
    I just struggle to remember quotes and good points for every character and theme, especially for Pride and Prejudice because it's so long.
    Really aiming for an A/A*

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.