Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why Should Private Schools be abolished?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElephantMemory)
    I will tell you what is unfair, telling hard working people that they are unsuccessful because they are not working hard enough. Hard work DOES NOT = success. That is not how it works. Do not disrespect people from underprivileged backgrounds who consistently fail because the system is set up for them to fail. Do not disrespect those people by claiming they can find success if they work harder.
    when did i 'tell hard working people that they are unsuccessful because they are not working hard enough' or 'disrespect people from underprivileged backgrounds'? I was merely making the point that those in state and private education are in the same boat when it comes to wanting to achieve, as no-one (except a minute percentage) has reached their own level of success by not working hard for it, and therefore have to work as hard as one another to achieve what they desire. That's my point. So i'd prefer it if you didn't twist my previous point into an elitist view looking down upon people - when that was not the direction of it whatsoever. So I do stand by my point, that to achieve your own level of success (with success having a subjective definition) then you, in most cases, must work hard to achieve it.

And to add, i'm not saying that hard work automatically results in success, but I personally believe that it is one of the fundamental principles in going on to achieve it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AceViva)
    More recently on TSR there have been threads and posts about private schools being abolished. I dont understand why? The private school i go to there is a boy who is on a scholarship and is from quite a deprived area, now he does not really get on with anybody and spends most of his day complaining about "private school posh people" and how it is not fair how people are paying for an education and that they should be abolished. Yet he goes to one -.-

What do you think, are private schools unfair and should they be abolished?
    Private schools are unfair in the way they give the individual who attends an unfair advantage.

However they cost the tax payer nothing and it provides highly educated people to the economy.

Not everything needs to be equal when it is detrimental to one group of people just for the sake of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElephantMemory)
    I will tell you what is unfair, telling hard working people that they are unsuccessful because they are not working hard enough. Hard work DOES NOT = success. That is not how it works. Do not disrespect people from underprivileged backgrounds who consistently fail because the system is set up for them to fail. Do not disrespect those people by claiming they can find success if they work harder.
    Stop projecting. You cannot make that claim just because you worked hard and are not successful

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.