The Student Room Group

A more updated MSc Marketing course! Which one?

Hey there, I know this has been asked many times on here however I'd like to get another opinion. I've had offers from the following unis but not sure which one would be better:

- Aston: Msc Strategic Marketing ( worried that this one is a bit outdated but Aston usually has good business connections and I like Birmingham)

- Birmingham City Uni : Future Media Pro ( this is more hands on which I like but the uni is not really ranked anywhere and not sure if it's more media centred rather than marketing)

- Bath Uni : MSc Marketing ( Good uni and reputation but a bit more expensive and bath cost of living is also pretty high)

- Leeds Uni : MSc Consumer Analytics and Marketing ( I like this because its more analytical with more big data and its brand new so more relevant info, though its not CIM accredited)

- Southampton Uni : MSc Marketing Analytics (Also like the fact that its analytical and more up to date/ technical, but worried about finding a job and the uni isn't ranked much anywhere either)

I left Cranfield out because of its isolation and heard the syllabus is a bit outdated even though has good connections. Also thinking about Manchester though worried the course could be a bit outdated.

What do you guys think? I'm thinking that nowadays theres a bigger demand towards the analytical side of marketing.
Cranfield isn't in isolation, if you drew a line from Oxford to Cambridge it's in the middle of them both.

Cranfield is next to Milton Keynes which is a well-known city here in the UK.

Cranfield is on the M1 so about 50 minutes from London, with easy public transport to and from.

Bath's school of management is ranked highly and living is relatively cheap to living in London and for what you get for the price and the city is a great place to live with lot's to do and not over-crowded at all.

Birmingham City is at the wrong end of the rankings so forget that one.

You're in a catch-22 situation where the remaining courses are all as good as each other and will get you all to the same interviews and roles.

What are you looking to do after the course?
Original post by Twtiger
Hey there, I know this has been asked many times on here however I'd like to get another opinion. I've had offers from the following unis but not sure which one would be better:

- Aston: Msc Strategic Marketing ( worried that this one is a bit outdated but Aston usually has good business connections and I like Birmingham)

- Birmingham City Uni : Future Media Pro ( this is more hands on which I like but the uni is not really ranked anywhere and not sure if it's more media centred rather than marketing)

- Bath Uni : MSc Marketing ( Good uni and reputation but a bit more expensive and bath cost of living is also pretty high)

- Leeds Uni : MSc Consumer Analytics and Marketing ( I like this because its more analytical with more big data and its brand new so more relevant info, though its not CIM accredited)

- Southampton Uni : MSc Marketing Analytics (Also like the fact that its analytical and more up to date/ technical, but worried about finding a job and the uni isn't ranked much anywhere either)

I left Cranfield out because of its isolation and heard the syllabus is a bit outdated even though has good connections. Also thinking about Manchester though worried the course could be a bit outdated.

What do you guys think? I'm thinking that nowadays theres a bigger demand towards the analytical side of marketing.

Hey,

Rather than just throw marketing blurb and statistics at you, i was wondering if you had any questions about Aston or Birmingham as a city? Additionally, i can point you in the right direction if you have any questions about the admissions process or of a more academic nature.

Josh :smile:
I also got offer of Msc CAMS from Leeds.
Personally, I like Msc MA from Southampton more, but I was rejected.
Reply 4
I like the Southampton MSc in MA too but Leeds university is more accredited and ranked better. I'm just worried it might be too technical as it has many modules in statistics and big data. They both do but I guess thats what will make you standout rather than the more general marketing degrees
Reply 5
Hi :] I have made a thread on this but haven't had any response, thought I'd ask in here as it's on a similar subject! Do employers generally favour MSc/PG Dip studied at a university more as opposed to from a distance learning/online course, e.g- qualifications from CIM or IDM or The Digital Marketing Institute? Again, I have the same reasoning, I thought the courses from here would be more up to date and relevant, as opposed to a broad MSc in Marketing/International Marketing from universities. I'm guessing as Digital Marketing is quite a new avenue within Marketing a lot of universities don't offer tailored courses (yet).
Cranfield isn't in isolation, actually there are lots of speeches from industry that you can know the latest trend happening in retailing and marketing field.
Reply 7
Hi,
Cranfield has a very calm environment but that is far from isolation. The campus is 15minutes and 20minutes by car to Milton Keynes and Bedford respectively. There is a discounted student transport that shuttles between the two towns from campus.
With regards to the syllabus, it really is one of the best for Strategic Marketing. You are exposed to essential elements of marketing with current business practices and industrial links to really build confidence.
Do let me know if there is anything else you would like to know about the MSc Strategic Marketing or Cranfield in general.
Yvette.
Reply 8
Cranfield's great! You make friends for life because you're on a self-contained campus. Great year with great people.
Hey there,

I have applied to MSc strategic marketing at cranfield too, along with MSc advanced marketing at lancaster and msc marketing and business analysis at edinburgh. Which one would be the best to choose if I happen to get offers for all? I also applied for MSc management at KCL and UCL, although i doubt ill receive an offer from either.
I am from India, and my objective is to secure a good job in the UK itself.
Also, I heard cranfield has much older student crowd compared to others as it is a postgrad only uni. Is it true? (COZ IM JUST 23!!)
Original post by suranaronak16
Hey there,

I have applied to MSc strategic marketing at cranfield too, along with MSc advanced marketing at lancaster and msc marketing and business analysis at edinburgh. Which one would be the best to choose if I happen to get offers for all? I also applied for MSc management at KCL and UCL, although i doubt ill receive an offer from either.
I am from India, and my objective is to secure a good job in the UK itself.
Also, I heard cranfield has much older student crowd compared to others as it is a postgrad only uni. Is it true? (COZ IM JUST 23!!)

Hi Suranaronak16,

Hope you are good! I see you have an array of top Unis in your sights, which is just as important, if you plan to start a career in the UK or within the EU. I think I'll start with your "easy" questions first:biggrin:! It is a wholly postgraduate university, hence Cranfield is research intensive and has strong industry links. Your MSc thesis is likely to be a research area for a company. Many of our students have gone on to be employed by these companies. I would however state that as much as possible, the focus has to be on your studies first, as Cranfield could be quite challenging and intensive.

I checked the class profile for Strategic Marketing for 2016/2017 session- the youngest age is 22:smile:! The average age is 25 years, so you should fit in quite nicely. I am 28 and doing a PhD here, with a year to go. So, yes, as we are a wholly postgraduate university the student crowd is not the same as a University with undergraduates. However, the student mix is quite uniform certainly, not too old!:redface:

Starting a career in the UK after graduation is dependent on a number of key elements. Firstly, you have to have excellent MSc grades. This is most important, as it is quite competitive. The rest should fall into place. You will certainly have industry contacts in Cranfield, you will meet potential employers at the Career Fair (over 100 attended the last time I was there) and the possibility of a company-sponsored research thesis will give you further opportunities. :smile: . More importantly, you will have a group project whcih is a marketing consultancy project that simulates a real-life consultancy assignment. This is from a company and you develop practical skills here and meet with industry experts during the project period and final client presentation.:smile:

Finally, I hope you get the admission from the Universities you have applied to! All the best and keep us informed!

Best,
Cranfield TSR Rep.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending