Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why multiculturalism doesn't work Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrawbAri)
    I made this thread a while ago so my opinions have shifted slightly from my OP.
    I agree with both of you.
    And I'll add:
    A multi ethnic society where everyone shares the good aspects of their cultures and integrates with the culture of the host nation is ideal but not often the reality because certain groups may suffer from cultural superiority and have a hard time integrating.
    "Certain groups"

Or in my opinion, a "certain group".

ReputationRep:
    If all religion didn't exist, multiculturalism would work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teutonic)
    If all religion didn't exist, multiculturalism would work.
    Nothing to do with religeon and more to do with tribalism. Other tribes in the UK include the class system, football clubs, race, political persuasion, you name it. All at various times in history have been violent towards other tribes. This is no different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Nothing to do with religeon and more to do with tribalism. Other tribes in the UK include the class system, football clubs, race, political persuasion, you name it. All at various times in history have been violent towards other tribes. This is no different.
    These can be easily be erased throgh various methods.
    But if you get a Muslim from the middle east, he'll most likely want to behead you and create a Shariah law here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariachi)
    there is no law prescribing that the UK should be a multicultural country

in my view, the multicultural model has failed, and more and more people are realising that
    Bit of a generalised statement though, multicultural societies have worked and continue to work all over the world, the problem is that there are specific groups it doesn't work for.

Do we scrap the model entirely or simply restrict which groups can or can't come in?

ReputationRep:
    The question is, what kind of Brexit do you want? A Brexit that consists of a Merkult multikulti probiotic and a pain au Macron or a hard English Brexit with nothing but beautiful British sourced Bacon and Eggs?

ReputationRep:
    Multiculturalism is fantastic and is a vital part of having a truly fufilling life. That's why you see videos of racists in their 80s/90s saying that after they accepted people of other races they were much happier.

ReputationRep:
    If you want the correct answer to this topic just watch the rivers of blood speech which was at least 45 years ahead of it's time.

Back in those days mass immigration was considered to be net 50,000 this has gone up 6/7 fold, watch the speech a lot of it was very accurate as a general consensus.

ReputationRep:
    Multiculturalism does work, you just don'y want it to work as it doesn't fit with your racist narrative.

ReputationRep:
    But if you get a Muslim from the middle east, he'll most likely want to behead you and create a Shariah law here.
    lol? i think someones been watching a bit too much tommy robinson...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by truthteller0110)
    Multiculturalism does work, you just don'y want it to work as it doesn't fit with your racist narrative.
    This right here is the bottom line. If you are someone who loves other cultures/races it will work, if you're not then of course it won't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theoneandonlybob)
    lol? i think someones been watching a bit too much tommy robinson...
    Nah, I'm just saying that Islam needs to be reformed.
    If the Muslim population increases here too quickly, a civil war will break out.
    This is coming from a Muslim himself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrawbAri)
    I made this thread a while ago so my opinions have shifted from my OP.
    I agree with both of you.
    And I'll add:
    A multi ethnic society where everyone shares the good aspects of their cultures and integrates with the culture of the host nation is ideal but not often the reality because certain groups may suffer from cultural superiority and have a hard time integrating.
    How does one decide which aspects of a culture are good? To me this would seem to be defined by the majority. Essentially, "you may practice the aspects of your culture we approve of only." But I think this is a rather illiberal stance. A more liberal stance in my opinion would be to allow cultural practices which might not be approved of, but which do not cause harm to people.

To take as an example the hijab. The hijab is quite a controversial garment that many people disapprove of. But if a woman chooses freely on her own will to wear a hijab, and is at no stage forced to do wear it, then her wearing of the hijab causes nobody harm. In which case, it would strike me as highly illiberal to ban the hijab in this instance.

Also cultural clashes are not always a matter of different ethnic groups, but can also be apparent in generational divisions. Take the hippie culture for example. Many young people in America in teh sixties embraced the hippie culture. However, many elder people looked down upon the hippie culture and disaproved of the way they dressed. Even in the most homogenous of societies there exist different cultures that are based on generational divisions or class divisions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanielCollins31)
    Multiculturalism is fantastic and is a vital part of having a truly fufilling life. That's why you see videos of racists in their 80s/90s saying that after they accepted people of other races they were much happier.
    Err. No

Just take a little bit of a interest in what is happening in the news if you import certain belief systems in mass numbers you get the very worst aspects from that belief system look at Islam and Jihadism I'm not going as far as stating they are one and the same thing but you can not say Islam is a religion which does not have the most problems at this moment in time. If we look at th-e Islam population of Britain when we was at our best in the 1960's there was around 50,000 muslims, in 2014 It was projected there is now over 3 million muslims within the UK. The left see this as great but never justify why. We have seen a 60 fold increase in the islamic population since 1960 and inviting more will just make the events of Monday night more common, various intelligence services estimate the radical proportion of muslims to be between 15-25%- I'm not saying that all of them would attack us but there is a massive potential army to be fighting against if they did become terrorists at the lower boundary there is a potential for an army of radicals if they decide to attack us of around 450,000- to put that into perspective that means that the army of potential jihadists could be nearly 5 times the size of the British army. Cultural enrichment has stung us twice in the last 3 months or so in the London Bridge attack and the Manchester Arena Attack, with the Manchester terror attacker had parents who was born in Libya and came here as refugees- we give them refuge they give us a terrorist in return - is this a fair deal? The whole family have been arrested in relation to terror offences so cultural enrichment has been a resounding failure for us. The times yesterday reported that their is 23,000 people who MI5 think are Jihadhis central government always understate the figures to reduce tension- with 3000 of the 23,000 are watched by intelligence services 24/7. IF cultural enrichment was a success we would not see these figures we will see like with the majority of muslims we Import people who want to live in peace but the risks and threats it too much of a burden for us- we need to stop mass immigration of muslims on possibly a temporary basis until we have killed or deported the current terrorists we have who want to attack us- we then need extreme vetting of people who come in to the UK in general not just muslims, but I say kill rather than imprison the suspects if we find them guilty because putting them in jail will give a greater threat of radicalisation in our prisons- for gods sake the London bridge attacker was radicalised in jail- stop that happening if they are sentenced to the death penalty. Absolute trash skidmarks on the pants of society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butt-hurt)
    Err. No

Just take a little bit of a interest in what is happening in the news if you import certain belief systems in mass numbers you get the very worst aspects from that belief system look at Islam and Jihadism I'm not going as far as stating they are one and the same thing but you can not say Islam is a religion which does not have the most problems at this moment in time. If we look at th-e Islam population of Britain when we was at our best in the 1960's there was around 50,000 muslims, in 2014 It was projected there is now over 3 million muslims within the UK. The left see this as great but never justify why. We have seen a 60 fold increase in the islamic population since 1960 and inviting more will just make the events of Monday night more common, various intelligence services estimate the radical proportion of muslims to be between 15-25%- I'm not saying that all of them would attack us but there is a massive potential army to be fighting against if they did become terrorists at the lower boundary there is a potential for an army of radicals if they decide to attack us of around 450,000- to put that into perspective that means that the army of potential jihadists could be nearly 5 times the size of the British army. Cultural enrichment has stung us twice in the last 3 months or so in the London Bridge attack and the Manchester Arena Attack, with the Manchester terror attacker had parents who was born in Libya and came here as refugees- we give them refuge they give us a terrorist in return - is this a fair deal? The whole family have been arrested in relation to terror offences so cultural enrichment has been a resounding failure for us. The times yesterday reported that their is 23,000 people who MI5 think are Jihadhis central government always understate the figures to reduce tension- with 3000 of the 23,000 are watched by intelligence services 24/7. IF cultural enrichment was a success we would not see these figures we will see like with the majority of muslims we Import people who want to live in peace but the risks and threats it too much of a burden for us- we need to stop mass immigration of muslims on possibly a temporary basis until we have killed or deported the current terrorists we have who want to attack us- we then need extreme vetting of people who come in to the UK in general not just muslims, but I say kill rather than imprison the suspects if we find them guilty because putting them in jail will give a greater threat of radicalisation in our prisons- for gods sake the London bridge attacker was radicalised in jail- stop that happening if they are sentenced to the death penalty. Absolute trash skidmarks on the pants of society.
    Chucking statistics at me that fit your anti-Islamic view isn't going to change my view on multiculturalism.

ReputationRep:
    Chucking statistics at me that fit your anti-Islamic view isn't going to change my view on multiculturalism.
    Go and bury your head in the sand then. Thats your choice. Its not even that anti islamic. The press like to perceive them as darlings when they are far from perfect

ReputationRep:
    This right here is the bottom line. If you are someone who loves other cultures/races it will work, if you're not then of course it won't.
    I love and appreciate many aspects of other races and cultures, but that doesn't mean I need nor want to live amongst them. I ultimately want to be with my own people and my own culture, customs, traditions, etc.

ReputationRep:
    And by the same token of sweeping statements, every Englishman that goes abroad sees the country he is visiting as a future colony of the Great Empire!

Idiot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by truthteller0110)
    yes, the african girl is racist and doesn't like foreigners in europe :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    And by the same token of sweeping statements, every Englishman that goes abroad sees the country he is visiting as a future colony of the Great Empire!

Idiot!
    Good goy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.