The Student Room Group

English Lit.

Do you need to learn quotes by heart? My teacher has given me over 500!! and thats only for one novel (An Inspector Calls if you were wondering).

Do you just need to learn the important quotes? and if so, could you give me a list of quotes which are important for the novels

1) Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
2) An Inpsector Calls - JB Priestly
3) Heroes - Robert Cormier

Thanks xxxxxxx
You have the books with you on the day. You just need a brief idea of what quotes match what theme/character.
Reply 2
Original post by hxfsxh
You have the books with you on the day. You just need a brief idea of what quotes match what theme/character.

No, it's a closed book exam :/
Original post by mariam687
No, it's a closed book exam :/

Oh that's weird. Are you doing AQA?
Reply 4
Original post by hxfsxh
Oh that's weird. Are you doing AQA?

no im doing the stupid welsh board (WJEC)
Original post by mariam687
no im doing the stupid welsh board (WJEC)

Oh ahah, I don't know then. I'm doing AQA and its open book :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by hxfsxh
Oh ahah, I don't know then. I'm doing AQA and its open book :tongue:

lucky asf
I did closed book too. You don't need that many quotes, you're not going to be writing hundreds in the exam, you just need to have the right quotes for the question asked or be able to justify your quotes.
Reply 8
WJEC here too. We were told to learn 10 quotes per character and 10 per theme
Reply 9
Original post by croftie4
WJEC here too. We were told to learn 10 quotes per character and 10 per theme

yeah thats a pretty good idea, thanks :smile:
also doing An Inspector Calls. I've written quotes on the bathroom tiles by the toilet and the shower screen using chalk marker pens, my science teacher gave us the idea.
Woo! Some WJEC people. We're doing it too, as well as Of Mice and Men. Only thing different to you is that we're doing About a Boy for our third. I'm guessing all of you live in Wales as well?

Anyway, 500 is ridiculous! Anything over 100 is ridiculous, to be honest. Just make sure you have about 10-15 major quotes for each character, learning all of them is ridiculous.
Reply 12
Original post by draculaura
Woo! Some WJEC people. We're doing it too, as well as Of Mice and Men. Only thing different to you is that we're doing About a Boy for our third. I'm guessing all of you live in Wales as well?

Anyway, 500 is ridiculous! Anything over 100 is ridiculous, to be honest. Just make sure you have about 10-15 major quotes for each character, learning all of them is ridiculous.

I'm not actually welsh, its just out school that decided to do the board. Forget the quotes, my teacher is ridiculous! ahahaah
And you are so lucky for studying "About A Boy," I read it and tbh I actually really liked it.
Thanks for the advice xxxxx
Original post by draculaura

Ditto - we are also doing About a boy as our third text

Quick Reply

Latest