Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Sooooo I've got offers from four universities for psychology, but I'm kind of stuck between three of them, and so I would really appreciate a bit of advice on how to choose.
    I have LOVED UEA from the start, as the campus and accommodation is just perfect, so I thought that I could really see myself living there. HOWEVER, the course is just not what I was hoping for, because they don't do an occupational placement year which I definitely want to do. I might make it my insurance??
    Cardiff, on the other hand, has the perfect course, but (although it's a lovely city) I much prefer the more campus-y universities. Cardiff is right in the middle of the city, and most of the accommodation is like a 10 minute walk away, which I don't really like.
    I think Loughborough is a happy medium, with the nice campus and nice course, but I guess you could say I'm just not *feeling* it. The accommodation is nice and obviously the sports facilities are amazing, but I'm not sure how I'd get on there.
    Any advice or personal experience from these unis would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    Personally I would choose the best course for you. You will only be on campus for the first year then you will find a group of friends then house share.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by cdeks)
    Hi everyone,

Sooooo I've got offers from four universities for psychology, but I'm kind of stuck between three of them, and so I would really appreciate a bit of advice on how to choose.
    I have LOVED UEA from the start, as the campus and accommodation is just perfect, so I thought that I could really see myself living there. HOWEVER, the course is just not what I was hoping for, because they don't do an occupational placement year which I definitely want to do. I might make it my insurance??
    Is there anything further we can do that might persuade you to choose UEA? It's worth looking at Unistats comparing the three universities - https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Compare-Courses. Different factors are likely to impact you - for example in comparison to the other universities the cost of living is cheaper here and private accommodation is cheaper. There are also different strengths for different aspects of the three Psychology courses.

As TraceyE says only you can make the ultimate decision and what matters to you the most when choosing a university
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by cdeks)
    Hi everyone,

Cardiff, on the other hand, has the perfect course, but (although it's a lovely city) I much prefer the more campus-y universities. Cardiff is right in the middle of the city, and most of the accommodation is like a 10 minute walk away, which I don't really like.
    I think Loughborough is a happy medium, with the nice campus and nice course, but I guess you could say I'm just not *feeling* it. The accommodation is nice and obviously the sports facilities are amazing, but I'm not sure how I'd get on there.
    Any advice or personal experience from these unis would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!!
    Hi cdeks

I have to agree with UEA rep at TraceyE - only you can make that decision - and I know it's tough.

The 2 most important things to consider really are is the course right for you and will it take you where you ultimately want to end up career wise?
    And secondly do you think you'll be happy there? 3 years plus a placement is long time if you hate the place you have chosen.
    In order to excel at your course and really achieve your best, you have to be happy.

I really hope that some current students from your list of unis come forward and give some first hand experiences.
    And if you need any detailed info that I can help you with, let me know.

Good luck with your decision!
    Vicky

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.