Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is 76 old ? I love my Nan SOOOOO much and she will be 76 in April and I'm scared watch

ReputationRep:
    I never knew my dad and my Mum brought us up, I only have a rather small family in the local area and the rest we never really see as they live further afield.

We all live within 3 miles of each other, I have 2 uncles, 2 Aunties, 4 cousins, my Nan, Mum and 1 Brother.

However ,our family is dysfunctional, personally I only bother with my Nan. I absolutely love her and see her as my second mother , I am so close with my Mum too but do not feel close to my brother really , we get on well when were together but don't really feel like a brother to me.

I love my Nan so much, she is 76 and lives alone and she will do anything for me, as I would for her, she is extremely kind and I love her immensely. she is not in the best of health, she copes well but she is getting older now, She feel and broke her leg about 6 years ago and had to have a metal bar in her leg which was very painful for her but less painful now ( she has never complained about any pain she is in) she uses a walking stick to get about now.

I have never had anybody close to me die before, I have never been to a funeral e.t.c.

Everytime I spend the day with her or go out for the day or go and see her I feel so sad, because I know she is not going to be around forever, she is like one of my best friends, I love her company.

But she is turning 76 yrs old in April this year, that sounds so old, is it old ?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe, maybe not. The average life expectancy is 82. But obviously she could live for an extra 10 years,
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Best to cherish the time you have together, however long it may be, as opposed to counting down to something that you can only guess.

ReputationRep:
    just live each day as it comes. who knows what is around the corner ? those poor pop singers who all died in Sweden had no idea that their time was up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kholmes1)
    The average life expectancy is 82.
    Not for 76 year olds.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by I love life)
    I never knew my dad and my Mum brought us up, I only have a rather small family in the local area and the rest we never really see as they live further afield.

We all live within 3 miles of each other, I have 2 uncles, 2 Aunties, 4 cousins, my Nan, Mum and 1 Brother.

However ,our family is dysfunctional, personally I only bother with my Nan. I absolutely love her and see her as my second mother , I am so close with my Mum too but do not feel close to my brother really , we get on well when were together but don't really feel like a brother to me.

I love my Nan so much, she is 76 and lives alone and she will do anything for me, as I would for her, she is extremely kind and I love her immensely. she is not in the best of health, she copes well but she is getting older now, She feel and broke her leg about 6 years ago and had to have a metal bar in her leg which was very painful for her but less painful now ( she has never complained about any pain she is in) she uses a walking stick to get about now.

I have never had anybody close to me die before, I have never been to a funeral e.t.c.

Everytime I spend the day with her or go out for the day or go and see her I feel so sad, because I know she is not going to be around forever, she is like one of my best friends, I love her company.

But she is turning 76 yrs old in April this year, that sounds so old, is it old ?
    What a lovely thoughtful post.

Is it old? Its of an age where life ins unpredictable and as you say one day like all of us, she will not be around. nothing you cna do to prevent that.

What you need to do is make the most of the time you have left. Imagine the day has come when she's passed away and imagine what things youd like to tell her. the idea imo is to tell her everything now whilst shes alive so when they day comes you have few regrets and things arent left unsaid.

1. Consider talking to your nan, telling you how much you love her and making sure she knows. Some people are more touchy feely than others.
    2. Consider being practicla and helping out with shopping and making improvements for her to make her life easier. maybe you could stay over every other weekend.
    3. If she gets lonely then consider setting her ip on facebook and skype.
    4. Oversee and co ordinate her social care. there might be charities that cna come and dig her garden, take her to social lunches etc.
    5. take videos and photos so you have happy times to remember
    6. get to know her life story and find out what shes reallu like especially in her younger life and things shes learned.

You wont regret doing the above amd when the day arrives you will feel much less guilt and much more comfort about your time together.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe, maybe not. The average life expectancy is 82. But obviously she could live for an extra 10 years,
    I would like her to live at least another 10 years, but even 10 years does not seem that long, if somebody told you your best friend would probably be dead in 10 years you would be so upset
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Best to cherish the time you have together, however long it may be, as opposed to counting down to something that you can only guess.
    100 % agree.
    and I do cherish the time we have together, just don't want it to end

(Original post by the bear)
    just live each day as it comes. who knows what is around the corner ? those poor pop singers who all died in Sweden had no idea that their time was up.
    So right, and so tragic about those young people that died in the Sweden car crash.

ReputationRep:
    Just maximise the amount of time you spend with her. There's not much else you can do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think around 70+ you can't be too sure, but I wouldn't think 76 is that old, like unless there are any other problems, most 76 year olds can still live by themselves and do their own thing. My greatgrandma managed up until she was 94, I'd say that was old-old, she basically just sat around and could barely see but she was still sound of mind. 76 is not so old.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say 76 is old. My grandad lived until he was 85 and I don't think that is old either considering he was very healthy until he was struck with a sudden and fatal illness. Most people who are 'old' that I know of have lived into their 90s. As long as she stays fit and healthy, I wouldn't worry.

As others have said, spend as much time as possible with those you love.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    What a lovely thoughtful post.

Is it old? Its of an age where life ins unpredictable and as you say one day like all of us, she will not be around. nothing you cna do to prevent that.

What you need to do is make the most of the time you have left. Imagine the day has come when she's passed away and imagine what things youd like to tell her. the idea imo is to tell her everything now whilst shes alive so when they day comes you have few regrets and things arent left unsaid.

1. Consider talking to your nan, telling you how much you love her and making sure she knows. Some people are more touchy feely than others.
    2. Consider being practicla and helping out with shopping and making improvements for her to make her life easier. maybe you could stay over every other weekend.
    3. If she gets lonely then consider setting her ip on facebook and skype.
    4. Oversee and co ordinate her social care. there might be charities that cna come and dig her garden, take her to social lunches etc.
    5. take videos and photos so you have happy times to remember
    6. get to know her life story and find out what shes reallu like especially in her younger life and things shes learned.

You wont regret doing the above amd when the day arrives you will feel much less guilt and much more comfort about your time together.
    thank you for your kind reply.

when you say 76 is an age do you mean a 76 yr old could die at any time ?

That sounds so upsetting, making the most of the time we have left, it sounds so final but true.

My Nan knows how loved she is, not just by me but the whole family.

I do take her shopping, Often the local shopping centre or ASDA, she doesn't go out on her own anymore since breaking her leg , it has shattered her confidence of going out alone, and she doesn't drive so she can't really go out on her own anyway.
    I could stay over some weekends I guess, she has spare beds upstairs, she lives alone in a 3 bed council house but my brother has been staying there lately with her as he broke up with his girlfriend but he does not do much for her at all. He loves her loads but he does not seem to understand that she is almost 76, he treat her as though she is 60.

She takes care of the garden herself though we will help her sometimes, she loves the garden.

She never gets lonely, she always has the back door open and has more than 10 visitors in and out almost everyday.

I have some photo's and maybe would be good to get some video's , thanks for idea

I know quite a bit about her younger years and throughout her life too anyway so don#t really need to aks.

ReputationRep:
    If she's healthy then I don't see the problem with her age...
    don't live waiting for the day she dies just cherish her and make more happy memories with her and don't let time stop you
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    You might have seen this article on life expectancy in the news this week iys one up to 84.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35550407

Life ins unpredictable though and thats just an average, some above and some below. Make the most of tune left. No time to worry.

Re your post

when you are young you think you last forever, but people flla by the wayside, just look at the news. Work on the basis shes alive and well now, but she is getting older like all of us. Make the most of her. I was gving you ideas. Imagine if she wasnt there tomorrow is there anything youd liked to have doe with or for her and anything said. You sound close anyway so am sure she knows.

ReputationRep:
    Life expectancy at 76 is 88 though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Life expectancy at 76 is 88 though
    What do you mean by that? Do you mean if shes healthy at 76 then the average is 88?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    Not for 76 year olds.
    Sorry. Can you explain what you mean by that?

ReputationRep:
    Yes too old - disown her immediately

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by that? Do you mean if shes healthy at 76 then the average is 88?
    Yeah the average 76 year old will go on to live to 88, they've already avoided 76 years of potential death. Think of an extreme example, you're not going to get half of 82 year olds dying in the next year just because that's the average

ReputationRep:
    Sorry. Can you explain what you mean by that?
    well as you get older, your likely life term lengthens. For a British woman, life expectancy at birth is 82. That includes the possibility of childhood leukemia and teenaged accident and all the rest of it. A 76 year old has dodged all of these. Plainly, the life expectancy of an 83 year old isn't 'minus one'.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone can die at any time, but the most important thing is that you cherish the moments you spend together and not worry about what could happen in the future.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.