Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mocks- less than a week away and need to for mahts cram to get good marks watch

ReputationRep:
    I haven't started any revision until now and I am beginning to panic a little looking at how much there is. I am doing History, Maths, Bio and Chem mocks next week. History will be taking up a lot of revision time over the next week as there is so much content and I feel like it's going to detract from my other revision.

My maths mocks is on C1 alone but I haven't practiced any of this stuff for a few months- How would you suggest going about revising for the maths mock without using up too much time- ideally in 4-5 hours across the week I have? Also given the fact that I have forgotten some of the stuff I learnt
    And sorry about the title; accidentally clicked enter before writing it out properly

ReputationRep:
    Anyone? I am not sure what to do over here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PricklyPorcupine)
    Anyone? I am not sure what to do over here
    if you only have 4-5 hours I suggest 2 past papers + looking over the mark scheme and the remaining time learning off information such as indice rules, quadratic formula, sequences and series work and the calculus stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanJ42)
    if you only have 4-5 hours I suggest 2 past papers + looking over the mark scheme and the remaining time learning off information such as indice rules, quadratic formula, sequences and series work and the calculus stuff
    Okay thank you; I have been looking at the exam practice section of the book but it seems much more complex than the exams
    I was also wondering whether you could help me with this question: (2root2/root3-1) - (2root3/root2 +1) which is from the exam practice; it wants the answer in terms of proot6+qroot3 + rroot2
    I tried rationalising but it wouldn't work

ReputationRep:
    Okay thank you; I have been looking at the exam practice section of the book but it seems much more complex than the exams
    I was also wondering whether you could help me with this question: (2root2/root3-1) - (2root3/root2 +1) which is from the exam practice; it wants the answer in terms of proot6+qroot3 + rroot2
    I tried rationalising but it wouldn't work
    youll notice the format of exam questions is slightly different to the textbook questions, so you will have to get used to that

your question is  \displaystyle \frac{2\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{3}-1} - \frac{2\sqrt{3}}{\sqrt{2}+1} ? (just to make sure im helping you with the right one)

Edit: rationalizing definitely works, is it possible for you to post your workings?

ReputationRep:
    youll notice the format of exam questions is slightly different to the textbook questions, so you will have to get used to that

your question is  \displaystyle \frac{2\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{3}-1} - \frac{2\sqrt{3}}{\sqrt{2}+1} ? (just to make sure im helping you with the right one)

Edit: rationalizing definitely works, is it possible for you to post your workings?
    Yes, I know but I have also noticed that the exams tend to be easier than textbook which is odd.
    Yes, that's the question; I multiplied the numerator of the surd on the left by its denominator and then and I did the same for the surd on the right with its own denominator

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I know but I have also noticed that the exams tend to be easier than textbook which is odd.
    Yes, that's the question; I multiplied the numerator of the surd on the left by its denominator and then and I did the same for the surd on the right with its own denominator
    sorry i was out

thats great that you find that the textbook questions are clearly great prep for the exams then

So you done  \displaystyle \frac{2\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{3}-1} \cdot \frac{\sqrt{3}+1}{\sqrt{3}+1} - \frac{2\sqrt{3}}{\sqrt{2}+1} \cdot \frac{\sqrt{2}-1}{\sqrt{2}-1}

and ended up with;  \displaystyle \frac{2\sqrt{6} + 2\sqrt{2}}{2}-\frac{2\sqrt{6}-2\sqrt{3}}{1}

are we in agreement so far?

ReputationRep:
    sorry i was out

thats great that you find that the textbook questions are clearly great prep for the exams then

So you done  \displaystyle \frac{2\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{3}-1} \cdot \frac{\sqrt{3}+1}{\sqrt{3}+1} - \frac{2\sqrt{3}}{\sqrt{2}+1} \cdot \frac{\sqrt{2}-1}{\sqrt{2}-1}

and ended up with;  \displaystyle \frac{2\sqrt{6} + 2\sqrt{2}}{2}-\frac{2\sqrt{6}-2\sqrt{3}}{1}

are we in agreement so far?
    Yes, I suppose so!
    Yes, that's what I did

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I suppose so!
    Yes, that's what I did
    then you took  \displaystyle \frac{2\sqrt{6} + 2\sqrt{2}}{2}-\frac{2\sqrt{6}-2\sqrt{3}}{1} and divided appropriately to get;

\displaystyle \sqrt{6} + \sqrt{2} - 2\sqrt{6}+2\sqrt{3} which finally simplifies to  \displaystyle -\sqrt{6} + \sqrt{2} +2\sqrt{3}

did you get all this?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.