Turn on thread page Beta

Looking to return to studies, possibly in science/physics? watch

    • Thread Starter

    I'm 26 and I'm looking to return to studies in the next year or two. I would like to learn to drive, pay off some credit cards and stuff first, but I would like to dedicate the rest of this year to filling out a timeline of goals to accomplish before I'm ready to return.

    I left college at 18 because I wasn't really enjoying the course I was doing, Public Services, and I was eager to enter the workforce. I've enjoyed myself for a while but if I want to get moving with my plans of having life goals by the time I'm 30 then I had better get started!

    I'm not sure what my career endgame is yet (just as I wasn't at 16 haha), though since I left college I have found passions in physics and astronomy so I'm leaning towards a degree in those.

    My main problem right now is that I don't really know where to start? I would like to start from the bottom and resit GCSEs, I've done "equivalent" GCSE courses in college but I would like the actual GCSE grades. I've been out of education now for almost 10 years so I am a little worried that I won't be good enough so I would like to be thorough and not really cut corners. I was a good student in my day (predicted As in all subjects), I just took a turn for the worst in year 11 and lost all interest in academics!

    I would like to work full time alongside my studies, I currently work full time night shifts, would I be able to continue doing the same job along with my studies? When I get to A-Level/Uni level I understand that I would probably have to cut back to part time/day shifts because of the increased workload, but until then where would I stand?
    • PS Reviewer

    PS Reviewer
    You can enter yourself for GCSE/A levels and may be able to do the former for free at a local college - at least in English and maths. You need to finds a local school or college who accept external applicants and register through them. You may prefer to have some tuition in which case there are any number of companies offering distance support for A level students (these will invariably cost much more than just entering yourself of course).Following this, if you want to work full-time your best choice is going to be a distance learning course. The OU certainly offers degrees in the area you're interested in and others might too, though outside of the London International courses (which I don't believe you can get funding for) most distance offerings tend to be for business/computing type courses which is understandable.

    There is no reason why you can't continue working full-time alongside any of this as a motivated adult, though if you can afford to cut your hours then doing so might make things easier for you.
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.