The Student Room Group

Integration by parts help

There's an integral I don't know how to do and I'm told that I'm to use integration by parts. It's the integral of x^7 divided by sqrt(x^4 + 9).
I know that if I let u = x^2 / 3 then I have 27/2 multiplied by the integral of u^3 divided by sqrt(u^2 + 1). But I don't know where to go from here.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by UpstairsMuffin
There's an integral I don't know how to do and I'm told that I'm to use integration by parts. It's the integral of x^7 divided by sqrt(x^4 + 9).
I know that if I let u = x^2 / 3 then I have 27/2 multiplied by the integral of u^3 divided by sqrt(u^2 + 1). But I don't know where to go from here.

Try using integration by parts with f=u2f = u^2 and dv=uu2+1\displaystyle \mathrm{d}v = \frac{u}{\sqrt{u^2 + 1}} (this is a standard form f'(x)f(x)^n to integrate.
Original post by Zacken
Try using integration by parts with f=u2f = u^2 and dv=uu2+1\displaystyle \mathrm{d}v = \frac{u}{\sqrt{u^2 + 1}} (this is a standard form f'(x)f(x)^n to integrate.

Then I end up with the integral of (u^2 + 1)^3/2. :/
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Then I end up with the integral of (u^2 + 1)^3/2. :/

Did you? Mind showing me your working? That doesn't seem correct.
Original post by Zacken
Did you? Mind showing me your working? That doesn't seem correct.

With a whole bunch of other stuff added to it from the IBP, I mean.
Reply 5
With a whole bunch of other stuff added to it from the IBP, I mean.

It's the whole other stuff that makes it very easy to integrate.
Reply 6
Original post by Zacken

go and do some STEP papers ... otherwise I can see you in Warwick ...
(you spend too long in here)
Original post by Zacken

The whole other stuff is outside of the integral.
Original post by TeeEm

I've done lots of integrals, I just find this one very difficult. :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by TeeEm

I'm not at home, having dinner out! Can't do STEP right now. :tongue:
(I do though, you have a point)

The whole other stuff is outside of the integral.

Please show us your working, the other stuff should not be outside the integral. You should have ddu(u2)(your thing to the power 3/2)du\int \frac{d}{du} (u^2) \cdot (\text{your thing to the power 3/2}) \, \mathrm{d}u inside the integral. Sorry for the bad LaTeX, it's very hard to type on a phone.
Original post by Zacken

Talk to your family I'm sure they're nice people.
Original post by Zacken

Please show us your working, the other stuff should not be outside the integral. You should have ddu(u2)(your thing to the power 3/2)du\int \frac{d}{du} (u^2) \cdot (\text{your thing to the power 3/2}) \, \mathrm{d}u inside the integral. Sorry for the bad LaTeX, it's very hard to type on a phone.

Img2016_0214_183857.jpg
Reply 12
Img2016_0214_183857.jpg

Huh? You're using integration by parts on with f=u2dfdu=2uf = u^2 \Rightarrow \frac{df}{du} = 2u and dv=uu2+1\mathrm{d}v = \int \frac{u}{\sqrt{u^2 + 1}}

So using the integration by parts formula (look this up, I think you're getting it wrong!) you should get:

[u2(u2+1)3/22u(u2+1)3/2du\displaystyle [u^2 \cdot (u^2 + 1)^{3/2} - \int 2u (u^2 + 1)^{3/2} \, \mathrm{d}u

(I really hope that latex works...)
Original post by Zacken
Huh? You're using integration by parts on with f=u2dfdu=2uf = u^2 \Rightarrow \frac{df}{du} = 2u and dv=uu2+1\mathrm{d}v = \int \frac{u}{\sqrt{u^2 + 1}}

So using the integration by parts formula (look this up, I think you're getting it wrong!) you should get:

[u2(u2+1)3/22u(u2+1)3/2du\displaystyle [u^2 \cdot (u^2 + 1)^{3/2} - \int 2u (u^2 + 1)^{3/2} \, \mathrm{d}u

(I really hope that latex works...)

Aha! Thank you! I just got confused over what I was differentiating and what I was antidifferentiating. It's easy to lose track of what you're doing when you're trying to do so many things in your head at once. That one mistake caused me a lot of pain. That's it now, thanks.
Reply 14
Aha! Thank you! I just got confused over what I was differentiating and what I was antidifferentiating. It's easy to lose track of what you're doing when you're trying to do so many things in your head at once. That one mistake caused me a lot of pain. That's it now, thanks.

De nada. Glad I helped.
Original post by TeeEm

:laugh:

Even I was keen not to end up at Warwick; the university just seems a bit low-profile in comparison to Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL and so on.

But our @Zacken will definitely end up at Cambridge :yep:
Original post by Zacken

Omg you're having dinner out and you're on your phone helping out on the maths forum?

Definition of dedication xD (or addiction :erm: )
Reply 17
Original post by Indeterminate
:laugh:

Even I was keen not to end up at Warwick; the university just seems a bit low-profile in comparison to Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL and so on.

But our @Zacken will definitely end up at Cambridge :yep:

remember what happened to physicsmaths last year ...
Reply 18
Original post by Student403
Omg you're having dinner out and you're on your phone helping out on the maths forum?

Definition of dedication xD (or addiction :erm: )

both !!
Original post by TeeEm
both !!

Yes!

@Zacken surely your main course is here by now?! Get off and enjoy your dinner out :spank:

Quick Reply

Latest