Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Let's say you had two offers,which would you choose? You are a non-eu citizen living in the Netherlands and want to eventually work in International development/Public Policy in South America. Keep in mind that you want to graduate with as little of debt as possible

Universidad Carlos III Madrid
    - Bachelors in International Studies
    - Live in Madrid (Top European City)
    - Taught in English
    - 4 years
    - Tuition of 6.820 Euros per year
    - You will most likely become fluent in Spanish (you can already hold conversations and understand a lot but lack complete fluency)
    - Opportunity to study abroad in Brazil for a year and study Portuguese (important language for South America)
    - Ranked #314
    - about 20% of students are international

Leiden University
    - Bachelors in International Studies (option to specialize in Latin America)
    -Live in the Hague (Lots of NGO's, government embassies, etc)
    - Taught in English
    - 3 Years
    - Tuition of 10.500 Euros per year
    - Take intensive classes in Spanish and Portuguese
    - Opportunity to study abroad for a semester
    - Ranked #95
    - Over 40% of students are international

Thank you guys

ReputationRep:
    Hi, considering your both options, I would probably choose Leiden. I know for a fact that Madrid's economy hasn't been the strongest. Also 20% of international students will probably not be a lot. I know it isn't that big a deal but considering you are already in the Netherlands, moving to Hague will be easier. You can probably get settled faster. Also by not living in a new country you will probably save plenty of time in many things. For example: Your course in Den Haag is 3 years, giving you an extra year to work, relatively. Considering your job, which is actually a major point, I doubt there's a place better than Hague. Since you'll be a resident, hiring you will be at a higher probability. The tuition fee is significantly more. But shifting to a new country isn't cheap either. You are already there so you dont have to waste time, money and energy on menial things like understanding the system and initiating yourself into it. With the time saved you can learn your languages. And also do a year abroad. Needless to say that the ranking is better. But at the end of the day, it is your choice. Good luck! (Y)

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I can really understand the situation you're in.
    I’m doing the international studies program at Leiden and two years ago I had to make a similar decision.
    Both options have their pros and cons -
    but apart from all the facts and figures you have to choose a study you really like.
    That also includes your "study environment". You have to study, live, eat, pay rent, party, etc. in thatcity for 3/4 years.
    So my advice would be to try to get acquainted with everything around the program as well, like housing, cost of living,student associations, support, what is it like being an international there,...
    Of course, it would be great if you have the opportunity to visit the university and get a firsthand impression.
    Good luck with your choice and if you need any info about The Hague just let me know.

ReputationRep:
    I am spanish and actually have been visiting the Carlos III campus as a possible option for studying my degree. I thought in general it was very well thought for engineering and computing specially, but may be lacking resources for humanities. I would base my decisions on which way you want to go when choosing your career. Anyways, I have only visited the smaller campus though. The larger one which is at Getafe seems to have more resources and space in general for any type of career being taught there.
    Also, you have the advantage that, coming from a northern country, life in Spain will be much cheaper for you in relation to the expense of everything in the Netherlands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jul Sdl)
    Hey, I can really understand the situation you're in.
    I’m doing the international studies program at Leiden and two years ago I had to make a similar decision.
    Both options have their pros and cons -
    but apart from all the facts and figures you have to choose a study you really like.
    That also includes your "study environment". You have to study, live, eat, pay rent, party, etc. in thatcity for 3/4 years.
    So my advice would be to try to get acquainted with everything around the program as well, like housing, cost of living,student associations, support, what is it like being an international there,...
    Of course, it would be great if you have the opportunity to visit the university and get a firsthand impression.
    Good luck with your choice and if you need any info about The Hague just let me know.
    How do you like the international studies program? Is it intensive? How many students are there? What are the job prospects like? Sorry for so many questions but thanks if you can answer them

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.