Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Life of Pablo watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm on my first listen through, what does everyone think of TLOP? Boards like hhh and /mu/ seem to be giving generally positive reviews so far. Ultralight Beams is the first track I've heard so far, it's really really good.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I heard a few samples from about four tracks. I thought it was awful, but then maybe it's good for the genre? I don't listen to this kind of music ever.

ReputationRep:
    About what I was expecting to be honest - solid production, weak lyrics, average overall. The first half was poor and pretty difficult to get through tbh. From FML onward it picked up though with some decent tracks (mostly the ones he already released though, like Wolves and No More Parties in LA).

Overall I'd say around a 6/10.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    I heard a few samples from about four tracks. I thought it was awful, but then maybe it's good for the genre? I don't listen to this kind of music ever.
    What kind of music do you listen to? Pitchforks gave it a 9/10 and on rateyourmusic, it seems to be doing quite well (not like AMAZING) but considering Kanye's album MBDTF is rated the best album of the 2010s, this is one isn't far of it.

(Original post by e aí rapaz)
    About what I was expecting to be honest - solid production, weak lyrics, average overall. The first half was poor and pretty difficult to get through tbh. From FML onward it picked up though with some decent tracks (mostly the ones he already released though, like Wolves and No More Parties in LA).Overall I'd say around a 6/10.

Oh you thought that? I felt kind of the opposite, well I did like FML and NMPLA. (There's an edited version of Wolves, I saw online with Sia and Vic back, Kanye's verse out and Frank Ocean, its very good). But yeah personally I found Ultralight Beams and Father Stretch my hands part 1 and 2, to be the like the best tracks on the album. I think Ultralight Beams might be one of the best songs Kanye has ever done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    I'm on my first listen through, what does everyone think of TLOP? Boards like hhh and /mu/ seem to be giving generally positive reviews so far. Ultralight Beams is the first track I've heard so far, it's really really good.
    PM me a download / stream link pls

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Satanas)
    PM me a download / stream link pls

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you sign up for a free trial on Tidal you can get the album on there.

ReputationRep:
    Is this the columbian ripoff of Life of Pi?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What kind of music do you listen to? Pitchforks gave it a 9/10 and on rateyourmusic, it seems to be doing quite well (not like AMAZING) but considering Kanye's album MBDTF is rated the best album of the 2010s, this is one isn't far of it.
    Mostly a mix of black metal, folk metal, traditional folk music, 1970s progressive rock and blues rock. But I listen to some electronic, too. Mostly Kraftwerk.
    Saying something is rated the best is pretty meaningless though, as music is subjective - there is no "best".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    Mostly a mix of black metal, folk metal, traditional folk music, 1970s progressive rock and blues rock. But I listen to some electronic, too. Mostly Kraftwerk.
    Saying something is rated the best is pretty meaningless though, as music is subjective - there is no "best".
    I obviously meant best as in top rated

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Really good. 6 or 7 songs I'm really enjoying and another 3 or 4 that are decent. 8.5/10

The opening to Ultralight beam is creepy as **** though

ReputationRep:
    I love almost all the songs on the album and i appreciate the rest, 8.5/10. My favs are Ultralight Beam, Father Stretch My Hands Pt.1, Waves, FML, Real Friends and Fade. Dont know why but the tune for Real Friends really hit me, it was one of those tunes that make you think about life lol.

ReputationRep:
    7/10. Not bad, not great. That's kinda what you get with Kanye West nowadays though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Really good. 6 or 7 songs I'm really enjoying and another 3 or 4 that are decent. 8.5/10

The opening to Ultralight beam is creepy as **** though
    damn this post is real af

ulb goat though

for me it is AOTY

ReputationRep:
    6/10 after a fair few listens.

Some of the lyrics arent just poor, they're cringe :/
    Wolves in its current state is ****.
    Famous could have gone from good to great of Swizz Beatz would just shut the **** up. He just talks **** over an otherwise good outro.
    I Love Kanye, Freestyle 4, Highlights and Low Lights are flat out terrible

Real Friends, No More Parties, ULB, FSMH1 and FML are great though. And Wolves if the leaked version is the "fixed" version.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    6/10 after a fair few listens.

Some of the lyrics arent just poor, they're cringe :/
    Wolves in its current state is ****.
    Famous could have gone from good to great of Swizz Beatz would just shut the **** up. He just talks **** over an otherwise good outro.
    I Love Kanye, Freestyle 4, Highlights and Low Lights are flat out terrible

Real Friends, No More Parties, ULB, FSMH1 and FML are great though. And Wolves if the leaked version is the "fixed" version.
    I really like Desiigner's part in FSMH2, have you heard the 'leaked' version of Wolves?

http://www.audioclouds.net/index.php?a=track&id=169

Yeah the lyricism is pretty rubbish for most of the songs but the production is like on another level compared to other hip-hop acts, and it's really quite refreshing.

ReputationRep:
    I really like Desiigner's part in FSMH2, have you heard the 'leaked' version of Wolves?

http://www.audioclouds.net/index.php?a=track&id=169

Yeah the lyricism is pretty rubbish for most of the songs but the production is like on another level compared to other hip-hop acts, and it's really quite refreshing.
    Yeah that's what I meant by "fixed" version haha. The drums don't sound right though, I'm guessing this is a close-to-release-candidate version.

Yeah I like the production as always but there are lines that just stick out to me like "wtf has he just said"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    Yeah that's what I meant by "fixed" version haha. The drums don't sound right though, I'm guessing this is a close-to-release-candidate version.

Yeah I like the production as always but there are lines that just stick out to me like "wtf has he just said"
    The only one that stands out to me a lot is the model, bleach line. If we could have current Kanye's production and avant-garde quality with lyricism like "All Falls Down" and "Through the Wire". It'd be crazy.

ReputationRep:
    Absolute ****.

ReputationRep:
    I have never listened to this guy's music after his first album. Didn't rate it so never bothered since.

If I were to go back and try again, what would you lot say is his single finest album?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad)
    I have never listened to this guy's music after his first album. Didn't rate it so never bothered since.

If I were to go back and try again, what would you lot say is his single finest album?
    Late Registration.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 27, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.