Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why does zayn swear in 'pillowtalk' Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is it to make his seem more grown up, cool, a little rebellious? An attempt to make older people like his music more? Or did he not think about all this is it just said from the heart? Just wondered as one direction didnt with their young audience.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mistyblue~)
    Is it to make his seem more grown up, cool, a little rebellious? An attempt to make older people like his music more? Or did he not think about all this is it just said from the heart? Just wondered as one direction didnt with their young audience.
    Well, it's basically because he's a tw*t and is struggling to find his own direction tbh

ReputationRep:
    Swearing is what all the kids are doing. I think he's probably trying to break away from the image of squeaky clean boyband member. He'll soon settle down, I expect.

ReputationRep:
    Makes him more edgy and badass in the eyes of his target audience.

ReputationRep:
    Because he's a big boy

ReputationRep:
    Big boys swear

ReputationRep:
    How old are you to find an issue with this? It's probably because whoever ran 1D, didn't want them to swear to appeal to 5 year old girls more, whereas now he's unrestricted.

ReputationRep:
    I have no knowledge of One Direction or Zayn. But the common sense answer is that he's a grown man. Its silly for people to expect him not to do what he wants. He can't 'seem' more grown up or cool; he's in his 20's, not 16. That's probably the reason why he left; artistic freedom.

Edit: if you think it makes people seem more edgy or cool to swear then you're probably part of the audience that he wanted to transcend when he left his band.

ReputationRep:
    Because marketing.

fwiw classic fm offer up an in depth music theory analysis

ReputationRep:
    probably to prove he is nothing to do with one direction anymore who aren't allowed to swear or else they'd upset their fanbase of 9 year old girls

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BristolFresher15)
    I have no knowledge of One Direction or Zayn. But the common sense answer is that he's a grown man. Its silly for people to expect him not to do what he wants. He can't 'seem' more grown up or cool; he's in his 20's, not 16. That's probably the reason why he left; artistic freedom.

Edit: if you think it makes people seem more edgy or cool to swear then you're probably part of the audience that he wanted to transcend when he left his band.
    I don't think it makes people seem more edgy and cool, but I do think that young artists think it makes them seem more edgy and cool to do something that people wouldn't expect their 'old selves' to have done. Everything is about marketing an image. I think his image in One Direction was fake and his image now, as a solo artist, is fake. It's very difficult to be authentic in the pop music industry because people are so aware of their image and what they think they should or shouldn't be doing in order to attract the kind of audience they want.

ReputationRep:
    He legit thinks he's a little rebel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    How old are you to find an issue with this? It's probably because whoever ran 1D, didn't want them to swear to appeal to 5 year old girls more, whereas now he's unrestricted.
    I cant see anyone with an issue with it from any of the replies yet but for me i find it both a little sexy and cringy at the same time. Cringy in that he seems to be saying it just to show that he's all 'grown up' and one of the older folk. Same reason it seems a lot of people swear, unless its just language/meant from the heart. I dont know why its taboo or why young kids cant swear anyway, words are words.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mscaffrey)
    I don't think it makes people seem more edgy and cool, but I do think that young artists think it makes them seem more edgy and cool to do something that people wouldn't expect their 'old selves' to have done. Everything is about marketing an image. I think his image in One Direction was fake and his image now, as a solo artist, is fake. It's very difficult to be authentic in the pop music industry because people are so aware of their image and what they think they should or shouldn't be doing in order to attract the kind of audience they want.
    True, their public identity is controlled by what their desired audience want so they cant fully express themselves.

ReputationRep:
    He done well for himself so far number 1 on the US bilboard which one direction have failed to acheive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chikane)
    He done well for himself so far number 1 on the US bilboard which one direction have failed to acheive.
    May end up like robbie williams who knows, not many make it after leaving a band.

ReputationRep:
    May end up like robbie williams who knows, not many make it after leaving a band.
    I think he will end up bigger than Robbie more like Justin Timberlake but it's thanks to the exposure he had from being in OD. I don't like his attitude fair enough if you hate OD music but atleast be more humble because he would have been nowhere without Simon and OD.
    I read Harry Styles wants to compete with Zayn and is working on his new single lol. Zayn was smart to leave and it paid off so think Harry will always be in Zayn's shadow i see Harry more like Olly Murs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chikane)
    Really? Well, well! I'm pleased for him. The way they treated him when he decided to leave One Direction was uncalled for. They could have wished him all the best and got on with what they do instead of going on like they did. His success is a big middle finger to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lovinlife2)
    Well, it's basically because he's a tw*t and is struggling to find his own direction tbh
    So might say he only knows how to go in One Direction...

I'll show myself out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CCC75)
    Really? Well, well! I'm pleased for him. The way they treated him when he decided to leave One Direction was uncalled for. They could have wished him all the best and got on with what they do instead of going on like they did. His success is a big middle finger to them.
    He does act like a little **** at times but what he has achieved is incredible his song is the 25th song to go straight to number 1 on the US Billboard 100 and One Direction have only ever gone to number 2. It is a hard thing for a uk artist to do unless you are Adele.

Yes they do have a go at each other constantly maybe they are annoyed that Zayn got a successful head start which was a clever move by Zayn he could have made millions by staying till the end with OD but knew if they all parted together then Harry would have had more success maybe. I always felt Zayn was the odd one out so it is great that he is doing well and the others apart from Harry won't do well although Harry reminds me of a Olly Murs singer though so i don't know if he will have much success.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.