The Student Room Group

Making my Grades Flower - Grow your Grades 2016

Dear Reader,

I have decided to enter this years 'Grow your Grades' so that I have more motivation to keep going! Ever since I received an unconditional sixth form offer, my motivation fell through the floor, and so hopefully this will hep me get motivated once more!

Subject - Exam board - Target grade - Current Grade

Biology - AQA - A - A
Chemistry - AQA - A - A
Physics - AQA - A - A*
Maths - Edexcel - A - A
English language - AQA - B - A*
English Literature - AQA - B - A
German - Edexcel - B - C
Geography - AQA - A - A*
Child Development - AQA - A - A
Food and Nutrition - OCR - A - B
AS Critical Thinking - OCR - B - A

What I Hope to Achieve

I would, of course, like to exceed my target grades, however the subject that I want to focus on the most is German. German is my worst subject, so just achieving my target in this would be superb! My other main focuses are to get used to typing my notes and exams (I only started this a month ago) and to improve my spelling, because I very rarely get full SPaG marks!

The Plan

So, at current my plan is to get home from school and do 15 minutes of VocabExpress followed by a ten minute test in one of the sciences. Then I will have dinner and complete all outstanding homework before moving on to around an hour of revision every night (I do have a plan, but that would take a while to type up since it is a three week cycle). I have left Fridays purely for German so that this gets the most attention. I know this is detailed, but this is the way that I will make myself stick to it!

This half term I need to complete my food and nutrition coursework, carry out my final child development visit and complete at least one practice paper for each subject.

So, my dear readers, it has come to the end of this (very, very long) introduction. I am going to try and update regularly so that I stick to this plan (I even set a notification on my phone).
Ta ta for now,
Sophie

Scroll to see replies

Good luck :h:

What are you hoping to do at sixth form? :smile:
Original post by Ddraigdwr2

X

If you want to improve on German, I'd very highly recommend memrise: http://www.memrise.com/course/89242/edexcel-gcse-german-vocabulary-list/

(It's great for helping you to learn vocab!)
Reply 3
Original post by Black Rose
Good luck :h:

What are you hoping to do at sixth form? :smile:

In sixth form I plan on taking Biology, Chemistry, Geography and Pre-U Philosophy and Theology. I want to study medicine at uni, and my teachers said that these subjects would allow me to do that (and I love them ❤️). What are you planning on doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by TheOtherSide.
If you want to improve on German, I'd very highly recommend memrise: http://www.memrise.com/course/89242/edexcel-gcse-german-vocabulary-list/

(It's great for helping you to learn vocab!)

Thanks I just had a quick glance it this looks really helpful! A lot better than the VocabExpress we have to use at school anyway! Thanks again!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks I just had a quick glance it this looks really helpful! A lot better than the VocabExpress we have to use at school anyway! Thanks again!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem!

Definitely - I use both VocabExpress and memrise, and overall, the way that memrise makes me learn words is just more effective.
Reply 6
Dear Readers,
So today I did a C1 past paper (June 2012), did some Child Development coursework and bought the stuff that I needed to carry out my Child Development visit. Considering I slept in until twelve, I think I did pretty well! Tomorrow I WILL get up earlier (I set an alarm :frown: ) and I want to do a C2 and C3 past paper, some Food coursework and a P1 and P2 paper. Positive thoughts, I will get it done!! I also have an asthma check tomorrow. Yay (note the sarcasm).

Side note: Don't even ask why I am writing this like a letter I just didn't know how else to start.

Sophie :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Dear Readers,
So today I did not accomplish as much as planned, but I did sort out my room (as we are going to IKEA on Friday) so now I have a much nicer space to study :smile:

Sophie

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Dear Readers,
I did get a lot done today, but I did nothing yesterday because my friends got married! I go back to school tomorrow though :frown:

Good news is that I only have my final evaluations for Food and Nutrition and Child Development and one German writing CA left and then I will have finished all my coursework!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Dear Readers,

So as we all know, today is FRIDAY!! Over half term I bought some more furniture (including a new desk chair!) so all of that is going up today! I will finally have an organised space for revision, and I can't wait to start learning with it!

On Wednesday I got back a unit three Physics paper that my teacher gave us, and I am very pleased with the fact ghat I got and A and I haven't even started revising unit three sciences yet!

I have my German CA next Thursday, and I'm going to learn the bulk of this this weekend. Next week I also have a Maths calculator paper and unit three Biology and Chemistry papers so I will revise these as well over the weekend!

This week in Critical Thinking we started learning how to write our own arguments, and I am really struggling with this at the moment, particularly intermediate conclusions, so I will definitely revise this as well!

I'll keep you updated on how things go,

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dear Readers,
As we all know it is FRIDAY again. I had a German CA today (fingers crossed for that!) and I have almost finished my child development coursework! Yay! I'm going to finish that this weekend, as well as my food coursework (ugh, I wish I hadn't taken food and nutrition). Revision is going well though!! In my unit three mock last week I got an A*, and in my Critical Thinking I got an A! Fingers crossed that the rest go well!

I also started making a revision timetable, and surprisingly I am actually ticking to it!

Side note: currently really into House the medical drama... It is how I spend my breaks now!
Soph :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey! I can't believe I only just found your blog! :smile:
I got a new desk too over half term! It's two metres long and it's perfect except I currently can't get to it. :frown:
Hope your CA went well and how do you stick to your revision timetable?
I'm constantly finding that despite the best intentions it usually goes straight in the bin, :smile:

(I haven't watched house but maybe one day I'll give it a go, after I've finished Once Upon A Time and Grimm) :smile:
Original post by Ara8311a
Hey! I can't believe I only just found your blog! :smile:
I got a new desk too over half term! It's two metres long and it's perfect except I currently can't get to it. :frown:
Hope your CA went well and how do you stick to your revision timetable?
I'm constantly finding that despite the best intentions it usually goes straight in the bin, :smile:

(I haven't watched house but maybe one day I'll give it a go, after I've finished Once Upon A Time and Grimm) :smile:

Once Upon a Time is what I plan on watching next, I've seen the first six or seven! The CA went alright thanks for asking!

For the revision time table, I used to not be able to stick to mine either, but I changed how I made them. Instead of planning in how much time to spend on each subject, I choose a topic that I will learn in that session. I find this better because then I know what to revise instead of sitting there staring at a textbook for hours! Also I don't revise topics that I know I know (yet) because I know that I will just get bored!

Thanks for reading my blog (do you have one I can look at?) and good luck with the desk situation :smile:

P.S. What is Grimm about? I've heard of it but I don't really know what it is!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Once Upon a Time is what I plan on watching next, I've seen the first six or seven! The CA went alright thanks for asking!

For the revision time table, I used to not be able to stick to mine either, but I changed how I made them. Instead of planning in how much time to spend on each subject, I choose a topic that I will learn in that session. I find this better because then I know what to revise instead of sitting there staring at a textbook for hours! Also I don't revise topics that I know I know (yet) because I know that I will just get bored!

Thanks for reading my blog (do you have one I can look at?) and good luck with the desk situation :smile:

P.S. What is Grimm about? I've heard of it but I don't really know what it is!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I might start using topics on my revision plan then. At the moment I just have a list of everything to do in the week because my timetable wasn't working.:smile:
Here's a link to my blog: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3901281

Grimm is about a descendant of the Grimm brothers tasked to keep the mystical creatures out of mischief but he's a police detective and he doesn't kill the creatures. It's good. I find it interesting because of all the different storylines. :smile: At the moment I'm a bit annoyed at the detective's wife but I'm sure she'll come round... Or at least she better...
I might start using topics on my revision plan then. At the moment I just have a list of everything to do in the week because my timetable wasn't working.:smile:
Here's a link to my blog: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3901281

Grimm is about a descendant of the Grimm brothers tasked to keep the mystical creatures out of mischief but he's a police detective and he doesn't kill the creatures. It's good. I find it interesting because of all the different storylines. :smile: At the moment I'm a bit annoyed at the detective's wife but I'm sure she'll come round... Or at least she better...

Sounds good! I'll go have a look at your blog, and I'm glad I could help with your time table... It is scary how fast the exams are approaching!
Sounds good! I'll go have a look at your blog, and I'm glad I could help with your time table... It is scary how fast the exams are approaching!

Thank you and yes, it is! Only 63 days but it's going to be fine. We still have time... :smile:
Thank you and yes, it is! Only 63 days but it's going to be fine. We still have time... :smile:

63 DAYS?! Oh goodness that is scary. Some people in my classes aren't even revising yet! That's like two months... :s-smilie::eek:
BUT that means only like 93 days until the last exam.

I have left a little message on your blog for you as well :smile:

Update on the revision:

Dear Readers,
Today I am finishing my Child Development coursework... and yes you read that correctly, FINISHING. I am also going to have a crack at starting my last few pieces of Food coursework. This kind of counts as revision (is what I tell myself, but does it really?)

As you would have seen previously we have sixty three says to go... which also means only... what, ninety three days until the last exam? Scary thoughts...

Anyways, have a good week and I will update you guys on my progress and revision soon!
63 DAYS?! Oh goodness that is scary. Some people in my classes aren't even revising yet! That's like two months... :s-smilie::eek:
BUT that means only like 93 days until the last exam.

I have left a little message on your blog for you as well :smile:

Update on the revision:

Dear Readers,
Today I am finishing my Child Development coursework... and yes you read that correctly, FINISHING. I am also going to have a crack at starting my last few pieces of Food coursework. This kind of counts as revision (is what I tell myself, but does it really?)

As you would have seen previously we have sixty three says to go... which also means only... what, ninety three days until the last exam? Scary thoughts...

Anyways, have a good week and I will update you guys on my progress and revision soon!

I'm not convinced what I'm doing counts as revision! But we'll say it does because it makes me seem like a better student. :smile: 102 days until summer for me. :frown: Why does Further Maths have to be the last exam???

Just saw your coursework note. Sure, of course it does! It's school related and it's essential so it can be revision. Finishing? Woah!!! Let's take a moment to repeat that: you're FINISHING it! :smile:
I'm not convinced what I'm doing counts as revision! But we'll say it does because it makes me seem like a better student. :smile: 102 days until summer for me. :frown: Why does Further Maths have to be the last exam???

Just saw your coursework note. Sure, of course it does! It's school related and it's essential so it can be revision. Finishing? Woah!!! Let's take a moment to repeat that: you're FINISHING it! :smile:

I know I can't quite believe it! Well, I would rather have my exams go on later than have clashes, I have clashes with two of my longest exams!!

It feels weird to be finishing it though... two years of study and coursework and stress and then in the summer it will all be over... THERE WILL BE NOTHING TO DO! ACTUAL FREE TIME!
Thanks again,
I know I can't quite believe it! Well, I would rather have my exams go on later than have clashes, I have clashes with two of my longest exams!!

It feels weird to be finishing it though... two years of study and coursework and stress and then in the summer it will all be over... THERE WILL BE NOTHING TO DO! ACTUAL FREE TIME!
Thanks again,

I know! I can't wait to spend the whole summer on the beach with a book in hand! Or even better in the sea all day long on a body board. Or sailing on the water!

Only a bit longer to go and then most of the stuff we're learning won't be useful ever again. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending