Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Left freezer open overnight - do I chuck the food? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Right so someone in my flat left the freezer open overnight and now all my food has defrost, most of it is meat and fish - quite pissed off as it was around a £50 shop that I did a few days ago

Do I need to chuck everything or can I leave it freeze again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Breakingbank)
    Right so someone in my flat left the freezer open overnight and now all my food has defrost, most of it is meat and fish - quite pissed off as it was around a £50 shop that I did a few days ago

Do I need to chuck everything or can I leave it freeze again?
    Dont freeze it again! Cook the food now allow it to cool then its safe to freeze til your ready to eat the meal

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How many hours exactly was it open for? You've got a couple of hours where it would have been defrosting and not at room temperature. I'd probably chuck the meat if it's been at room temperature for more than 3/4 hours at the most, especially if it's chicken or pork (though I have left cooked pork out for over three hours and still eaten it, nothing happened). I'd chuck the fish as well. If it's beef and it smells OK I'd eat it to be honest but I'm not suggesting you do that.

What else is in there? Anything like veg, pizzas (with no meat on), bread, chips... I would cook it now and eat it. Depending on what's in there some of it you might be able to keep in the fridge now that it's defrosted.

My advice: if in doubt, chuck it out. I would also ask your flatmate to pay for that, at least partially.

And yeah, don't refreeze.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.