The Student Room Group

French oral exam tips?

Hi. I'm currently a year 10 pupil and as part of our French GCSE we have to take 2 separate oral exams: 1 this year and 1 next year. Our first is this summer and although I really trust my teacher, I'm a little bit stressed about the prospect of the exam. What if I freeze and don't know what to say? Does anyone have any general tips for preparation? Thanks! 😄

Scroll to see replies

If you freeze, just repeat the question back as you stall for time.
Reply 2
Original post by DrSocSciences
If you freeze, just repeat the question back as you stall for time.

Haha, thanks. 😀
try to minimise the amount of time that it's quiet; keep the conversation going even if it's not to do with the topic
Reply 4
Original post by Mayhem™
try to minimise the amount of time that it's quiet; keep the conversation going even if it's not to do with the topic

Thank you, that's really helpful. 😊
Use words such as "alors..." and "bon"... etc. if you have a brain fart and/or are hesitating.. that way, it will show that you are thinking like a fluent speaker. Whether or not it will give you extra marks or not, it helps alleviate the awkward silences which we all face in the oral exams :colondollar:
Reply 6
Original post by george_c00per
Use words such as "alors..." and "bon"... etc. if you have a brain fart and/or are hesitating.. that way, it will show that you are thinking like a fluent speaker. Whether or not it will give you extra marks or not, it helps alleviate the awkward silences which we all face in the oral exams :colondollar:

Thank you so much, that's what I'm dreading! 😅 I'm sure it'll be alright though.
I would say honestly try not to stress out that much. I just took my second GCSE oral a few days ago and it definitely gets easier after having done it before, but since you haven't yet, just try to relax. I was so worried about my first one and everything went fine, just make sure that you learn your draft well in advance so it is locked in your brain and also get your friends, your parents, literally ANYONE to test you. But if no one can, just ask yourself the questions, but I found it a lot more helpful when someone else asked me, because then I didn't just keep asking myself the 'easier' questions (aka the ones I knew the best)
Also, when it comes to learning them, saying it out loud really helped me, and I have seen so many people think that they know it in their heads and then they can't actually say it out loud.
When you get the task sheet, usually a week before your actual oral, the questions are in English (well they were at my school) so if that happens, look for certain key words that you will recognise when your teacher asks them in the exam. (for example 'jeunes' and 'santé')
I also tried to learn as much vocabulary as possible, so that if I panicked and stalled I could try and think of something on the spot.
AND if you do panic, just breathe, regain your composure and then continue, it will all be fine.
Good luck, I hope you do really well!!
If you're doing the one where you basically have to memorise something you've written and then say it, writing your answers on flash cards and going through them really really helped me!😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Thank you for your replies @xhannahmariex @Sophie.cerys ! I'm working on vocab at the minute because I think that will help me the most. I'm just not going to stress about it because we've got a while yet. Thanks! x
Original post by *AD*
x

Don't do what I did and start speaking German!
:s-smilie:
Original post by Ribenas
Don't do what I did and start speaking German!
:s-smilie:

I'm surprised I haven't made that mistake myself yet :lol:

Spoiler

Original post by TheOtherSide.
x

I did mine years ago and ended up dropping the subject :biggrin:

Spoiler

Original post by Ribenas
I did mine years ago and ended up dropping the subject :biggrin:

Spoiler

Fair enough :lol:

So what are you studying now?
x

I am currently studying: (AS)
AQA Biology
Edexcel Psychology
Wjec Sociology

Spoiler

Original post by Ribenas
I am currently studying: (AS)
AQA Biology
Edexcel Psychology
Wjec Sociology

Spoiler

I'm in year 11, so I'm studying Maths, English Language, English Literature, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, French, German, History and Music. I'm hoping to study Maths, Further Maths, Physics and German next year, so nothing like what you're studying.

So you've basically got your student life planned right now. Any idea about which uni you want to study at?
x

I want to study abroad on an athletic scholarship so I haven't decided yet :smile:

Spoiler

Original post by Ribenas
I want to study abroad on an athletic scholarship so I haven't decided yet :smile:

Spoiler

That sounds great! Do you have any idea about which country you want to study in, or even which continent?

Spoiler

x

US or Canada

Spoiler

If I remember rightly, we had to learn a passage about a holiday or something and then got asked questions on it and the teacher gave us a sheet of very vaguely worded questions so we knew along the lines of what we would be asked. We planned answers to it and then rote learned them so we could just hear a keyword in the question being asked and regurgitate the planned out answer. Also, if you know anyone who is fluent in French, get them to check through your passage and question answers to make sure you're learning it right. Speak confidently and with as many fillers in the gaps as you can, I got 29/30 in mine a few years ago!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending