Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm considering building a mobile and web app for my final year project, I want the user to be able to search for topics and ask a question in the search bar and display a list of articles that I have created. Will I need to build an api for this and is there any advice you can give me. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unistudent95)
    Hi everyone,

I'm considering building a mobile and web app for my final year project, I want the user to be able to search for topics and ask a question in the search bar and display a list of articles that I have created. Will I need to build an api for this and is there any advice you can give me. Thanks.
    I think wordpress can do this by default?

but because you want to have a mobile app as well you'd probably have to make your own server that spit out json data or something, for servers you can use php, if you know Python use django or nodejs if you know some JavaScript. I personally use and prefer nodejs for quick projects like these, I could do it in few hours. For the database, you have a choose between sql or nosql (mongo db etc) I would recommend mongodb as its less hassle. You probably wouldn't need a registration system so you don't need any authentication so makes stuff easy. Whatever you choose as the backend make sure it spits out json data then in the app, you can make a GET/POST request to your server like /api/:search and you can just search your database to see if any post contain the search key or something and return it as json as its easier to manipulate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah that's brilliant thanks I'm considering doing a hybrid app as it's mainly html css code, I don't suppose you know what software I could use that will show what it looks like when I run the code?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah that's brilliant thanks I'm considering doing a hybrid app as it's mainly html css code, I don't suppose you know what software I could use that will show what it looks like when I run the code?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've heard of few ones like PhoneGap which allows you to create mobile apps in html+js+css, I think that will work fine for what you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigboateng_)
    I've heard of few ones like PhoneGap which allows you to create mobile apps in html+js+css, I think that will work fine for what you want to do.
    Thank you I will look into that. I don't suppose you know where I can find tutorials or examples/advice about building a knowledge base with articles for the app?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you I will look into that. I don't suppose you know where I can find tutorials or examples/advice about building a knowledge base with articles for the app?
    To store the articles, you just need a database, so maybe research into database systems, you have a choice between sql and nosql(mongodb), I personally find mongodb easier. You will also need a server script which you can create using php or JavaScript (using something called node.js)

You can find a bunch of tutorials on YouTube, although they will seem quite complicated at first

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you that's brilliant do you have any more advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    No need for any APIs. Perhaps utilise a framework such as Laravel, make it responsive across all devices and look into various JS frameworks and reactive libraries.

You could develop a full-stack responsive and reactive web application with an admin panel for controlling content and settings. Perhaps APIs for something like Bugsnag, social media integration etc. (Guzzle isn't too bad for that).

Or go with the MEAN stack if not LAMP. Plenty of ways to approach and change your project really, I'd advise you get to researching - Google is your friend.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Open your HTML file in Chrome, press CTRL + SHIFT + i, then press CTRL + SHIFT + M to turn on emulation mode. You'll see a dropdown box at the top with a list of mobile devices to choose from so you can see what your app/site will look like on different resolutions for these devices. It also changes the pointer to a slightly bigger circle to imitate a fingertip so you can judge sizes of interactive elements a little better.

Every time you make a change to your code and want to see the changes, you just need to save your file and refresh the webpage. Very fast.

Seeing as it's a mobile app, you might want to look into the JQuery Mobile framework. You can put together nice little apps very quickly.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your help I will take a look into that, I'm going to create my own content management system for the articles

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your help I will take a look into that, I'm going to create my own content management system for the articles

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why? There are thousands of the things. It makes no relative sense reinventing something like that just for a web app. Especially as the people marking it generally won't care if you use a pre-existing or make your own, the difference won't gain you extra marks, it will just increase your work load when you could just focus on the point of the project..
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's going to take far more than just HTML and CSS for you to accomplish this. I would strongly recommend looking into JavaScript, server-side languages and databases - incorporating JavaScript libraries (e.g jQuery and variants), PHP and MySQL would be a good start.

You can build a fairly straightforward CMS from scratch with this. There's plenty of tutorials and examples without the need for a framework. Have a template design plan in mind and build your system around that. Think about registration and/or login/logout features, CRUD operations, templating, SQL queries etc.

Try not to copy an existing CMS that does most of the work for you unless you plan to heavily customise it and/or make use of your own customised plugins. Remember that this is a project of which you will be marked on the work that you have done yourself and can provide evidence for. Admittedly, I don't know much about the marketing criteria in academia for technical work in final year projects - but in a commercial environment, we generally don't reinvent the wheel and instead take what has been tried and tested and customise to our requirements.

Certainly there are tools that can translate web apps into phone apps, but then you will need to justify this and explain why you didn't develop a phone app from the beginning instead. Hence one of the reasons I suggest developing a web application that will be responsive across all devices and web browsers, negating the need to limit an app for only one particular phone device (this is where complex CSS mainly comes into play and possibly some use of JS and PHP).

I'm not sure how much you know about HTML5 and CSS3+ features or the latest stable jQuery libraries and PHP, but they would definitely give you an advantage.

If you need any further assistance, quote or message me to let me know. I have quite a bit of experience in this area and I have been a developer for various companies within the last 4 years.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.