Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

*Trying* to get A*A*A*A Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, welcome to this attempt at a study blog!

I need to get A*A*AA for my Bio Natsci offer at St John's, Cambridge, but I'd really like to try and get 3A* just in case something goes disastrously wrong.

I'll post daily-ish updates on what revision I'm doing, what sites I'm using, and anything else that comes to mind! So far, I have yet to start prepping at all for exams :rolleyes:

Here are my stats:
    University choices:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Cambridge (Bio NatSci): A*A*AA
    Durham (MSci Joint Hons Bio and Chem): A*AA
    Bath (NatSci): A*AA
    York (Biochem): AAA
    UCL (Biochem): AAA
    A2 predictions (all OCR):
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Biology: A*
    Chem: A*
    Maths: A*
    Further Maths: A* (no way on Earth is this happening)
    AS grades:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Biology: A
    Chem: A
    Physics: A
    Maths: A
    Further Maths: A
    -----
    Here's how I'm planning on revising:
    • Make flashcards on StudyBlue to get the general content down for all subjects
    • Figure out what M2 and FP3 even are
    • Memorise all of the reactants and conditions for Chem (I think that I know about one in five atm )
    • Start memorising mark scheme answers for questions that always come up
    • Try to do all of the past papers (this one didn't go well at all last year)
    -----
    OCR Revision Flashcards (a work in progress):
    Chemistry (done!)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    -----
    If you want to help me out in any way, the best thing to do would be to ask me for help in biology and chemistry (AS or A2)! I learn waaay better by explaining things than trying to memorize from a book..
    Also, if you have any questions about Bio NatSci/Cambridge apps in general, I'm happy to help

ReputationRep:
    Wow! Good luck; I take it you aren't doing any resits due to the awesome grades from last year. How did you cope with the number of exams you must have sat this year and have to sit a similar amount this year?

ReputationRep:
    At least you dropped physics; A* in physics is brutal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BryonyG98)
    Wow! Good luck; I take it you aren't doing any resits due to the awesome grades from last year. How did you cope with the number of exams you must have sat this year and have to sit a similar amount this year?
    Aww, thanks!! Nope, I'm not planning on doing any resits - I don't think I could cope with that many exams at all! I have 10 exams total this year, which I don't think is too awful as they're spread out over the whole month.. I am a bit jealous of my friends with 3-6, though I just have to deal with it, I guess, but the sheer amount of info for bio/chem is stressing me out quite a bit...

(Original post by _minasan)
    How are you planning on preparing for your exams? good luck !
    Thanks! This month, I'm planning on making flashcards for all of my subjects on StudyBlue, and start doing some past papers in the weeks after? Not too sure, tbh - I just need to get started really!

(Original post by Rockstar North)
    At least you dropped physics; A* in physics is brutal.
    Yeah, it was hard enough at AS I was sooo happy to drop it, I definitely had to work the hardest in physics out of all of my exams last year. It just doesn't come naturally to me at all!

ReputationRep:
    14-02 First update!

So, today I made flashcards for all of the info included in the first chemistry exam - about 120 in total
    I've also found Jake Wright's channel on YouTube, so I'm getting a bit of extra motivation to make it to Camb, now!

Tomorrow, I want to make flashcards for F325, and maybe try to start doing a Mechanics 2 past paper (that's probably my worst module out of everything right now ).. I'll also make a list of all of my mock results to post on here!

ReputationRep:
    How many hours would you say you're doing a day? I love Jakes channel by the way, so motivating!

ReputationRep:
    lol im in a similar boat to you, attempting to acheive 4 A*'s in bio chem maths and geog! im also doing 4 resits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loyota)
    How many hours would you say you're doing a day? I love Jakes channel by the way, so motivating!
    Ermmm, well today I probably did 3? But before today, I really have done anything at all :lol:

I'd say that I want to average about 1 hour (preferably 1.5, but that's a bit optimistic knowing me) a day during the week, and maybe 3-5 a day on the weekend!

And Jake's channel is amazing! I've just binge watched a load of videos on 2x speed, will probably regret it when I run out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 713Wave)
    lol im in a similar boat to you, attempting to acheive 4 A*'s in bio chem maths and geog! im also doing 4 resits.
    Wow, do you have a 4A* offer or are you just playing it safe? Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kawehi)
    Wow, do you have a 4A* offer or are you just playing it safe? Good luck!!
    hell no! my offers are mainly A's and B's, but heyyy! why not go for 4 A*'s???? if I can achieve it then it would make me look like a 'shining golden star 'in front of unis, employers etc.
    Definitely gonna have a good go at it.
    good luck to you as well.

ReputationRep:
    Why isn't your predicted grade happening in FM?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    Why isn't your predicted grade happening in FM?
    Maths isn't exactly my strongest point, I just can't see getting over 90% in FP2, 3 and M2! At the moment, I am not understanding M2 at all (and I can't tell if it's just because I haven't bothered to learn the formulas or not)

ReputationRep:
    The way you comlised this thread, theres no doubt u can get A* X3

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsandaLFC)
    The way you comlised this thread, theres no doubt u can get A* X3

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm confused haha, but thank you hopefully I can manage it!!

ReputationRep:
    15-02 Morning
    Ok, so my goals of the day are:
    1. Complete all flashcards for F325 Chemistry
    2. Go for a run
    3. If any extra time, I'll make some flashcards for M2!
    I'm also going to try and time the exact amount of time that I revise today, just to get a feel for what I'm doing! I have absolutely no idea atm

ReputationRep:
    15-02 Morning
    Ok, so my goals of the day are:
    1. Complete all flashcards for F325 Chemistry
    2. Go for a run
    3. If any extra time, I'll make some flashcards for M2!
    I'm also going to try and time the exact amount of time that I revise today, just to get a feel for what I'm doing! I have absolutely no idea atm
    Admirable goals! Let us know if you stick to them!

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused haha, but thank you hopefully I can manage it!!
    Hahaha sorry, I ment composed, how old are you by the way ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Maths isn't exactly my strongest point, I just can't see getting over 90% in FP2, 3 and M2! At the moment, I am not understanding M2 at all (and I can't tell if it's just because I haven't bothered to learn the formulas or not)
    I know how you're feeling exactly! I'm doing M2-3 and can't really get my head around it at the moment, and I really need to get 90% in those modules

So far YouTube and Isaac Physics are doing a good job in making me understand a little, but there's still A LOT I don't understand (especially that work-energy theorem).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    I know how you're feeling exactly! I'm doing M2-3 and can't really get my head around it at the moment, and I really need to get 90% in those modules

So far YouTube and Isaac Physics are doing a good job in making me understand a little, but there's still A LOT I don't understand (especially that work-energy theorem).
    Lol forget about the work energy principle, its just some complicated way of saying that energy is conserved, if you just remember that energy is always conserved you can answer all the questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    Lol forget about the work energy principle, its just some complicated way of saying that energy is conserved, if you just remember that energy is always conserved you can answer all the questions
    How would you go about in knowing when to use equations like elestic potential energy = gain in kinetic energy + potential energy?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.