Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is chemistry A-level beneficial for biology A-level and a biology degree?? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm about to submit my A-level choices for sixth form next year but I'm a little stuck on what to choose. I'm definitely doing biology, as I plan on doing a biology degree at uni, and history but I'm trying to decide between chemistry or physics. I'm better at physics at GCSE level than chemistry so I feel like I would get better grades in physics A-level and I also prefer physics as I find chemistry a bit boring but I'm not sure whether chemistry A-level is beneficial for a biology degree and biology A-level.
    Please help! 😁

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gabbykiri)
    I'm about to submit my A-level choices for sixth form next year but I'm a little stuck on what to choose. I'm definitely doing biology, as I plan on doing a biology degree at uni, and history but I'm trying to decide between chemistry or physics. I'm better at physics at GCSE level than chemistry so I feel like I would get better grades in physics A-level and I also prefer physics as I find chemistry a bit boring but I'm not sure whether chemistry A-level is beneficial for a biology degree and biology A-level.
    Please help! 😁
    Hey,

I'm currently a biology finalist so I feel like my opinion might be of help. Chemistry is undoubtedly useful throughout the course of a biology degree and is often a preferred subject to have as an A-level at least to AS. Often universities will state this in their requirements and it may well limit what universities you can apply to- if you don't have an A-level in it then universities often provide a module in first year for everyone on the degree course to ensure they have the correct level of knowledge of chemistry to ensure they are able to succeed at the degree.

It also depends on what you're interests are in biology- if it's more molecular then it'll definitely be more useful than say for the ecology side of biology.

For context: I took chemistry to AS (and got a D) and I'm taken a chemistry/ biochemistry (with a bit physics) thrown in module in my final year and I'm achieving top 2.1 marks in it.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry is certainly a very useful A level to have. Some unis require students without A level chemistry to take a module to make up for it. Students without A level chemistry tended to struggle with biochemistry modules, but such modules can generally be avoided later in the degree.

As the previous poster said, its relevance depends on your interests. If you're into biochem, molecular biology, molecular genetics, cell biology, biotechnology, etc. then you're going to have to learn a good chunk of chemistry at some point.

ReputationRep:
    First of all I would look at university entry requirements to ensure you pick the right A-levels for the course you are interested in.

I want to do Veterinary Medicine and I am taking AS Biology, Chemistry, Philosophy and Ethics and Sociology. There is a lot of crossover topics between Biology and Chemistry (eg bonds, biological molecules, structures of certain compounds) therefore I would advise taking Chemistry if you are good at it. Personally, I am finding Biology relatively straightforward whereas I am finding Chemistry quite difficult (I got an A in my Biology mock and a C in my Chemistry).

Although if you find Physics more interesting than Chemistry, take Physics. Its your life, you choose what you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help! 👍

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.